Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question for home owners

joinerman

Garage
How much do you pay for your gas & electric combined, i changed fro British gas to Utility warehouse last February, they looked at my past usage from BG & set my monthly direct debit at £111.00 per month,
last week i had an email saying they had reviewed my first years usage & i had a deficit of nigh on a grand which needs settling, that came as a shock, they have also increased my dd to £197.00 per month.
we are in a three bed property & four of us here.
Any comparisons ?

We are with OVO in a 5 x bedroom house with a wife who needs the thermo on at least 26C year round and we pay approx £1,900 per year....

We're with Scottish Power and pay a DD of £143 PM, which went up in December from £131, as it usually does in Winter. It'll probably drop back down again come warmer weather but we always end up in credit after paying a bill. This is for 3 people in a 4 bedroom house with gas fired CH and hob, electric everything else. We like to keep the place fairly toasty. The contract came up for renewal around a month ago and couldn't find a better deal. We have a boiler/heating maintenance contract with British gas for breakdown callouts and yearly servicing.
Looking at all the bills over the last year we've paid £1941 but are still £206 in credit.

About a tonne and a half of logs and £50 a month for the rest. 2 in a 2 bed bungalow. In Bognor. :)

Edit, got that wrong I’m informed. Nearer £75- in the summer and £100 in the winter. :icon-rolleyes: Which is warm all the time. Cabin is heated by electricity for an hour each morning. With M&S Southern Electric.

Last edited:
With bg £99 pm combined. 3 bed with 4 of us and the missus is home most of the time with the youngest and likes it to be warm.
Electric Oven, gas hob, had a new boiler in December which is much more efficient then the old one. Bulbs are all led.

J you need to check all your past and present meter readings. That looks OTT to me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How much do you pay for your gas & electric combined, i changed fro British gas to Utility warehouse last February, they looked at my past usage from BG & set my monthly direct debit at £111.00 per month,
last week i had an email saying they had reviewed my first years usage & i had a deficit of nigh on a grand which needs settling, that came as a shock, they have also increased my dd to £197.00 per month.
Any comparisons ?
I've just had exactly the same with Scottish Power. In my complaint to them I have suggested that they deliberately under quote so that when the contract is up for renewal after 12 months you can't go elsewhere without paying off a massive deficit, which most can't afford. It's a cheeky way to attract you in with a low repayment, then lock you in with a massive debt. My DD is now set at about £270!! 4 bed rented house in bognor with a shitey old boiler thats too small and the landlord refuses to replace.

Any comparisons ?

JM, sounds like your supplier has miscalculated big time with there usage calculations. With Scottish Power your usage is continually monitored and your DD adjusted accordingly, be it up or down. In fact it is always slightly in their favour, hence you end up being in credit after paying a bill rather than in debt.
There was something in the news about this recently and I think moves are afoot to prevent it happening and making suppliers liable if it does due to their cock ups.

We are with Eon and our combined bill is 300 in the warmer months and 500 ish for the winter per quarter, in a not very well insulated 3 bed house

Got a 3 bed semi, I'm with EDF, started the DD at 90 a month when I switched (July), dropped back to 65 a month in Dec
We a had a new very efficient boiler fitted in May, which may (or may not) of helped bring our bill down from when we were with OVO and paying 100 a month ( Started at 70) before I switched

Back