Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick bit of CDL advice please

Rob-o

hello everyone,

Went to use the CDL last night and no one was home. No light on the dash and no locking action.

The motor on the actuator is working so I presume the mechanism is seized and the motor is just preloading the spring. Odd as it worked last week.

Anything I should try before taking the actuator apart and seeing what’s up? If I can avoid removing it that would be nice.

Rob

If you can still hear it working have you tried driving it a bit in a slight curve? If you can’t hear it working try the fuse (sorry, both obvious I know but you’ve got to start at the simple end).

I’ll try the curve tip! Yup the fuse is ok, and the motor works perfectly in both directions.

Rob

Can you you sure it's not just the switch packed up rob? The cdl could actually be working as it should

Can you you sure it's not just the switch packed up rob? The cdl could actually be working as it should

Well, I’ve been underneath and when the mrs presses the CDL button you can hear the relay in the footwell click and you can hear the motor on the transfer box actuator whir for a couple of seconds, so I presume the dash switch works?

I’ve lifted a wheel and it definitely isn’t locking.

Rob

Well, I’ve been underneath and when the mrs presses the CDL button you can hear the relay in the footwell click and you can hear the motor on the transfer box actuator whir for a couple of seconds, so I presume the dash switch works?

I’ve lifted a wheel and it definitely isn’t locking.

Rob
Ive had this rob. Yellow light comes on and you hear the motor running in and out but not locking up. Just swapped mine for another to be honest. It seemed to be working fine but wasn't.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ive had this rob. Yellow light comes on and you hear the motor running in and out but not locking up. Just swapped mine for another to be honest. It seemed to be working fine but wasn't.

Ah see I don’t have the light either. But by my understanding the light is switched by the sensor on the end of the actuator so it should only come on when the CDL is lockedin position. That switch also allows the axle lockers to be engaged too and mine don’t engage since the CDL stopped working.

Rob

Ah see I don’t have the light either. But by my understanding the light is switched by the sensor on the end of the actuator so it should only come on when the CDL is lockedin position. That switch also allows the axle lockers to be engaged too and mine don’t engage since the CDL stopped working.

Rob
You can short out the detent switch i believe the one just in front of the cdl to bring on the dash light and lock front and rear. The one to the rear of the box i believe controls the cdl. This one was a problem on mine. Cdl wouldn't opperate correctly until this was fixed. If you are at the meeting this weekend i believe i have a cdl with knackered motor which may be salvaged for some parts if you wish. Take out the switches and clean them. You can check there working simply by pushing the ball in and out with ignition on. Rear one opperates off low box lever.

Rob
Axle lockers wont work without the yellow light being on

IIRC the light comes on when the switch is engaged however, it flashes until the actuator rotates fully and the sensor sets the light solid indicating the lock has fully engaged

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the input everyone. Bit of progress tonight. I’ve unplugged and cleaned all the contacts (including the dash CDL switch) and it works again. I think it just wanted attention! I’ve engaged it about 50 times on and off road tonight and it’s worked flawlessly.

Very strange.

I’m baaack...

Well today when the CDL button is pressed the relay behind the kick panel just goes crazy. Lots of incoherent clicking.

Does this sound simply like a CDL relay that needs replacing or could there be another reason causing that behaviour? I don’t know if I have a damp issue in that footwell but I have endless issues with the indicator relay too, probably coincidence. The carpet is dry.

Time to message Karl anyway!

Thanks everyone.

if you have another relay you can borrow that’s the same, try a swap and see if the problem goes with it. Look for corrosion on the pins. Another one to try is to operate it in the dark and see if you get any arcing that can be seen around the pins. Wobbling the relay slightly while it’s chattering may indicate a connection issue as will burn marks on the pins. While it’s chattering, if necessary get someone to watch it and yell the instant it changes either to off or on while you wiggle things like related fuses and connectors. Is it chattering in time with the flashing relay? Check earth’s are well connected and tight.

Last edited:
It’s had a few more hours attention now. The relay doesn’t even go crazy any more, it doesn’t do anything. The only problem is that it worked once tonight.... enough to lock the CDL... and now won’t unlock. So I’m a bit stuck!

I’ve cleaned and checked all connections on the transfer box (including removing the switch for the dash light with the ball bearingy inny outy bit), the dash switch, and the relay.

I’ve disassembled the relay and it all looks ok, although I tested it as per:

http://www.pnwadventures.com/vehicles/toyota-fj80-landcruiser-cdl-troubleshooting/

And I don’t get continuity between terminals 6 and 7, could be the problem!? Couldn’t really test the diodes as I couldn’t remove them from the board, although they all read a similar resistance.

To summarise: it’s still broken only now it’s broken but with the diff locked.

Rob

Clearly there’s a bit more to the relay box than just a relay.

Simplest solution to find out if you have a fault in the relay box would be to get a spare one from @karl webster and swap it to see if it cures the problem. One of two things will then happen. 1, problem solved. 2, problem persists, which then confirms the problem iscelsewhere and you have a spare part you can either keep or sell on. The search then continues.

In the meantime, if you can identify the two wires that connect to the CDL motor itself, take a pair of wires of similar size from these to the battery and try touching them across the terminals for a second or two listening for the motor. If nothing, reverse the wires and try again. You’ll get a few sparks either way but the CDL should, if not stuck, unlock. Not sure if you’ll hear it or not but worth a try.

Clearly there’s a bit more to the relay box than just a relay.

Simplest solution to find out if you have a fault in the relay box would be to get a spare one from @karl webster and swap it to see if it cures the problem. One of two things will then happen. 1, problem solved. 2, problem persists, which then confirms the problem iscelsewhere and you have a spare part you can either keep or sell on. The search then continues.

In the meantime, if you can identify the two wires that connect to the CDL motor itself, take a pair of wires of similar size from these to the battery and try touching them across the terminals for a second or two listening for the motor. If nothing, reverse the wires and try again. You’ll get a few sparks either way but the CDL should, if not stuck, unlock. Not sure if you’ll hear it or not but worth a try.

Thanks for your help, I’ve just messaged Karl actually! Yes the relay is actually 3 relays and 4 diodes on a bit of circuit board, there’s a bit going on but now I’ve got my head around the system it’s pretty simple. Not sure of the benefit over a fully mechanical system though.

Tomorrow’s job is to do just that with a battery, the plug is easy to locate on the transfer box. I’m fairly confident everything is fine mechanically.

Rob

Still struggling with this, looks like I’m going to have to remove the actuator as I believe faulty ‘stop’ sensors in the motor were causing the odd relay behaviour. Before I get under there has anyone got any advice? I believe I’ll have todrop the gearbox a bit, but any other advice?

Thanks muchly!

Back