Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick bit of electrical wiring help

Karlosfandango

Country Flag
uk
I'm putting in a android head unit and connecting a reverse camera amongst other things. The reverse camera is straight forward, it takes power from the reverse light when illuminated which then turns the camera on to send the image to the HU.

I'm thinking it would be useful to have a button which can independently operate the rear camera without having to be in reverse or lighting the reverse lights.

23757927_10155072698935823_1856293443_o.jpg

The part I'm not sure of is what I need to add to stop the reverse lights coming on when the dash switch is operated. Can I stick a diode in somewhere? Someone else mentioned a relay but that seems a bit of a faf.

As above from Towpack or put a diode in. Thing is Karlos, the head unit might be able to select the rear camera anyway. I thought about doing this and found my head unit (not Android) can select rear camera.

The HU should have a option to select reverse cam when not in reverse. Mine does. Iirc the wire tapped into your reverse light is only the signal wire, not the power feed. When your HU is turned on the camera is always powered up, its the signal from the reverse lights, or you manually selecting it, that shows a image on the screen.

Thanks for the info, and glad you got the chance to feel a part of things Steve ;) I've taken a punt on a random Chinese thing so I'm not 100% sure what it can do plus I hadn't even considered it a possibility to separately turn on the rear camera via it. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I'll have to see when it turns up. I'll hold off tearing the interior apart for now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine is Chinese and im really pleased with it. Had it two years. What can it do? It can probable launch a Shenzhou into orbit..
Be prepared to do some soldering..

Back