Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

R17 Front diff & housing complete for swb 90

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I've got around to a diagnosis & as it turns out I require a new/second hand front diff :)

Fiery is a 98 'R' plated swb 3.0TD manual 90 & there is a sticker on her existing diff that says 'R17'

If you have one or can point me towards one I'd be very interested in speaking with you :thumbup:

I saw that, I may give them a call in the future :)

Just after bumping this thread back up I gave Steff a call & he may be in a position to help me out, but we want know for sure until later this afternoon. So fingers crossed :)

Spoke with Steff this morning & the one that he has turns out to be a 4.1 & not a 4.3 as I require, going by his chassis number. So still on the hunt :)

Anyone found me one yet :?: :pray: :)

what about changing both front and rear then sell your rear one on, will gear it upa little which may cause a few problems with bigger tyres thats the one problem

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting thought :) But all that I've come across so far are the eledged to be rare 4.1 diffs & as I have the more common 4.3's :roll: :lol: I'd need to be looking for some 4.5/6's (even more rare) to improve ratios but not stumbled over any of these as yet although I still have no idea what the R57 diff was that I was offered :think: but he had only the front axle :| So back on the hunt :) Luckily I'm in no rush & actually have no real requirment to use her before the next Lincomb, but it'd be nice to get her sorted sooner rather than later :)

This could be a bit of a long shot mate but i am putting an ARB locker in the front of mine. I am just waiting for some people to get back to me on price, if my current diff is the same as yours you are welcome to it. The only thing is i don't know what happens to the ring and pinion so it would depend if yours is OK and not damaged? It would depend what you have broken i suppose? I am sure someone more technical will be along soon to advise :thumbup:

How long can you hold out for?

No, you KEEP the R&P. The ARB is just the carrier. The point about the ARB is the the new carrier is stronger and doesn't flex like the original can.

It's not actually a diff. It parts of a diff. R&P plus bearings to rebuild is about going to be around £600 not inc labour. It will be these that are stripped

Chris

Thanks Chris and sorry SAE i thought it was a long shot. If you need any of the bits that get replaced let me know, i will have some knocking about soon.

No problem. I have all those bits already as I fitted a front locker to mine. If there were any use Steve could have them, but sad to say, it's very unlikely that you'd need any of them. Some bits aren't really reusable. Well they are sort of but people won't guarantee the work if you use old bits.

Chris

Have you looked inside the broken diff yet? There's a chance you only need side gears and they do become surplus when you fit an ARB.

At which point you'd be welcome to rummage through my spares. Not like I'm going to need them. Bit optimistic Jon, but like you say, you never know until you open it up do you. We did see teeth in the oil and they looked fairly major though.

Chris

Thanks for the offers there Paul & Chris :D I may take you up on them in the future :thumbup:

I've not looked inside the diff yet as the truck is still usable should I need to :) It's my hope to find a replacement R17 diff & axle complete & just do a straight swap in a morning rather than stripping her down & having a dead duck on the drive while I'm still hunting for a replacement. I did have a look on ToyoDiy & I'd break the truck before paying that much for a set of R&P's or even the side gears :shock: Once I've got her back on the run then I shall without doubt be stripping down the diff for a look see over a cupa with my camera to hand :)

The odd thing is that there is clearly some large lumps of metal (gear teeth of some kind) that have come a little loose as I now have them in my glove box :roll: :lol: But she still drives :? And if gentle without to much complaint, particualy in a straight line :!: It's mostly only when turning that things get a tad clonky :?: :?

Back