Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

! Radar Breaking !

Riding bikes for almost 40 years I may be biased but I still maintain gaining experience on 2 wheels can improve your road craft. I’ve no doubt any Police motorcyclist will tell you that. Awareness, not only of other road users but of road reading for potential hazards and adverse conditions. Small things like minor potholes, roadkill, overbanding, mud etc, which can go virtually undetected on 4 wheels (especially a Landcruiser) can have you off. JMO

Likewise driving an old style HGV with a crash box, massively improves your ability to read the road, predict events and set yourself up properly. You learn anticipation and to look well ahead.
Back in the days before cameras all over your truck you also had to have a constantly updated mental picture of what was happening beside and behind you so you had your blind spots covered.
Bikes certainly improve your ability to read the road ahead, and predict what the other twats on the road are going to do!

Towards the other end of the scale I’ve never felt so alert and alive as driving at 130mph on the Autobahn. It also resulted in total silence from Lynn. :lol:

I'm glad the point i was trying to make came across .

And Frank , i'm sure i come across as a boy racer but twice i've witnessed a kid die instantly from being hit by a car , perhaps that's why i do not like automatics or driving with the seat set to reclining chair not quite asleep comfort ?

I know to that when i get older and i don't trust myself as i once did i will feel grateful for digital assistance because there aint no way i'm gonna admit to myself i aint as good as i once was ............... or maybe i will but lie to myself anyway ?

I’ve no doubt any Police motorcyclist will tell you that

I know a police rider who decided to test himself on the Isle of Man TT on a 125cc , a mile and 500 yards i think he managed before he hit the wall , thankfully without serious injury and retired from racing forever . He told me the story in brief and i told him what i assumed - he hung his head before nodding . We went to school together he had the best of everything while i got my experience trying to make stuff do what i wanted it to do .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I started out on mbikes when I was 14. The scrap yards in the 60's had enormous piles of pre-war bikes. I swapped a large lump of lead for perfectly good ES2 Norton. I could buy any one for £3 cash. We lived on a farm so storage was not a problem and I ended up with 15 various sizes and makes. I rode mainly on the farm road which was about 1 1/2 miles long. You had to learn to stay on due to mud and pot holes with bald tyres as new ones were too expensive. My friend on the farm was also mbike mad and we had races nearly every day (when we got 2 mbikes to run lol). Then I learned to drive a car in the same conditions.

Back