Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator

fbnss

Supporter
Country Flag
england
I topped up the coolant yesterday as I have done ever since I bought it. I knew there was a leek somewhere. drove the car to work today after it's been sat all week after its little trip away last weekend and at lunchtime noticed this
image.jpeg
There was a wet patch on the floor underneath. Had a look at what was behind that rubber flap and that was all wet too right near the bottom hose. I had been wondering if it was the hose or the rad or something different that was leaking. Opening up the bonnet and climbing up I could see that along the off side facing the driver under the fan cowling there is an inch wide wet patch along the fins all the way to the top as far as I could see anyway
image.jpeg
I assume there's no connection up the top there so this must mean the radiator is leaking and not something else? I was going to get a new radiator anyway in the near future so not a problem.
Question: when I stuck the part numbers (from milners) into amayama it comes up with this
image.png

Whats the difference between the two rads as the cheaper one is heavier than the lighter more costly one? There's only a fiver in it but want to order the correct one. I assume it's new thermostat and water pump at the same time?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)

Last edited:
I've today ordered one from mr T.

Coming in at £360 so you might as well order one from them.

Thats good to know, thanks. I just wondered what the difference between the two part numbers was.

I think a new rad should be infront of a locker..... JMO

if the rad decides to let go and cook the engine yourll be paying a fair bit to sort it.

I don't disagree Karl but it's only recently got worse. It was just a cup full every other month. It shall be fixed soon enough.

Just got to be careful mate. The rear heater pipes can get tiny holes in them and let you loose coolent. People keep topping them up until one decides to drop all the coolant on the motorway and the next thing you know the engines cooked.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes. It wasn't until today that I could actually see where it was coming from. It was the mud that showed it up.

Just in case Nick, have a sniff of the damp stuff on the chassis to be sure it's not ATF fluid coming from the steering box.

I've had my steering box rebuilt twice in the last 10 years (for different reasons each time) and recently the return pipe fractured in the power steering circuit.

Worth a look just in case.

Can Simon Holton not help with new rads i haven't heard him mentioned for quite a while ?

I didn't get as far as tasting it yet. It's red. Same as the Toyota coolant.

I'll have a look/ taste. Just jet washed it at work. Kinda shiny again :)
image.jpeg

Just been out for a bit of licky licky, ughh! The little drip at the bottom of the radiator was minging, dunno about sweet or not but yuck. Thought id check the power steering reservoir, still on the little dipstick and for a comparative taste test i tried some of that too. Yuck yuck yuckety yuck! That was a new level of gross. I'm unhappy to say its coolant leaking.

Just been out for a bit of licky licky, ughh! The little drip at the bottom of the radiator was minging, dunno about sweet or not but yuck. Thought id check the power steering reservoir, still on the little dipstick and for a comparative taste test i tried some of that too. Yuck yuck yuckety yuck! That was a new level of gross. I'm unhappy to say its coolant leaking.

Ha ha Nick, don't be unhappy mate, coolant loss is much cheaper to fix than steering ATF leaks, usually!

Ask me how I know....:angry-screaming:

I needed a quick fix on my radiator about 4 years ago - I purchased this one Ebay Link - I think I paid £145 - after 4 years of abuse its still going strong.

Agree with Karl and the pin holes in the rear radiator hoses - I had two go in two weeks - all hoses renewed now.

Thanks for that :) I've sent an email to mr holton. See what he comes back with.

So I've got Simon on the case. Should have the bits in a couple of days. The radiator is fifty quid cheaper if I return the old one. So. I started stripping bits off to get the radiator out. Not disconnected the pipes yet sonincan still put it all back together, fingers crossed! I think I've undone all the bolts
image.jpeg
Teo at the top. Two nuts at the bottom and the long one that goes through the round thing. Is it just the thing in the middle with the nut on the other side that I can't reach left to undo or are there others hiding? Thanks for your eagerly awaited knowledge!
ps. How do you undo those b#%^*rds?

Back