Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator

BY_prado

Country Flag
pakistan
Friends,

I have 96 Prado with 1KZJ95 LC, I replaced the radiator last feb. 2017 when I rebuilt its engine. Recently I have noticed the water level goes down in the radiator by 50-100 ml. I need advice if this is a serious issue or just normal.

Friends,

I have 96 Prado with 1KZJ95 LC, I replaced the radiator last feb. 2017 when I rebuilt its engine. Recently I have noticed the water level goes down in the radiator by 50-100 ml. I need advice if this is a serious issue or just normal.

Hi. This is not something I have ever noticed. Certainly the coolant level in the expansion tank goes up and down a little, but whenever I have opened the radiator cap the coolant is always up to the top and at the same level.

Not sure if this helps but I have a 1998 Prado 5VZFE. Did the radiator about 2 months ago as part of going after another problem. It was the bypass tube between the heads that was leaking down the back and on to the transmission. I could see this by shining a torch up from underneath to the back of the block. I was topping it up once a week and more after long drives. You might not see it because it might just be making a puddle between the heads. It never complained and the gauge never showed it being any hotter but it definitely wasn't normal. After fixing this the radiator fluid level has remained spot on. All I have done since I fixed this was to put a about 1/4 cup of coolant in the overflow bottle.

After my new head, the level stays the same - it may go up and down with heat, but never loses any now :)

A year ago I replaced the cylinder head on my KZJ95 and replaced the radiator too since the combustion pressure from the cracked head damaged the rad. No water loss ever since after this replacement.
Once the engine really heats up due to hard driving, it pushes some coolant out into the recovery bottle but then it siphons it back in again as it cools down. I would know this because whenever I would check the recovery bottle right after hard driving, the level would be a lot higher than the full mark but then would go back down again as checked during the morning start up. Opening the radiator will also show coolant to be up to the rad cap level.
How often have you actually noticed this problem and does it go down again later even after you filled it back up?

Regards,
Jim

Yeah. We have the 5VZFE. Does the same thing. Will suck all the coolant out of the bottle but when it cools down goes back to one of the level lines again. I always look now down around the injectors to make sure nothing is dripping from that hose that goes in to the throttle body and I always look from underneath and up around the transmission. Seems good so far with no leaks from anything. But now I have a new problem. THAT TOYOTA LIFE.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back