Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radio aerial… thoughts on replacements

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
A while ago after replacing the element once, my radio aerial got bent over in a storm so I replaced the whole unit with an after market electric aerial. I just removed the Control circuit and wired to the motor direct and it’s worked well ever since.

It’s now taken a clout and broken the casing so I’m looking at replacing it again.

The question is, has anybody found a better way of doing this? I mean there’s Mr T’s original which is probably pretty rugged but stratospheric in price (from what I remember). Then there’s some windscreen fitted aerial bars like these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253307989534
Has anybody fitted one? Are they any good? At the price, my expectations are pretty low.
Or there’s what I already have which is perfectly acceptable, if a bit of a sloppy fit.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Wideband commercial radio antennas are pretty simple structures and can be made very cheaply. I’ve tried in-car antennas before and found them more susceptible to electrical interference from the vehicle electrics. The amp in the antenna will also be pretty basic and will amplify everything including noise. At the price though I’d be inclined to give it a go!

Tried 3 or 4 screen aerials Rich cheap and expensive they were all rubbish.
Got this one in the end and its fantastic...

0C5ED173-8039-4225-A946-EBDCD923E835.png

i can get new genuine ones rich if you go down that route.

A while ago after replacing the element once, my radio aerial got bent over in a storm so I replaced the whole unit with an after market electric aerial. I just removed the Control circuit and wired to the motor direct and it’s worked well ever since.

It’s now taken a clout and broken the casing so I’m looking at replacing it again.

The question is, has anybody found a better way of doing this? I mean there’s Mr T’s original which is probably pretty rugged but stratospheric in price (from what I remember). Then there’s some windscreen fitted aerial bars like these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253307989534
Has anybody fitted one? Are they any good? At the price, my expectations are pretty low.
Or there’s what I already have which is perfectly acceptable, if a bit of a sloppy fit.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Funnily enough this is on my to do list - bent welding rod at the moment...........................
How much hassle is it to replace the entire unit? inner wing out? and how much the replacement?
I've tried inner ones and not impressed, even a Blaupunkt one.
The problem around here is overgrown hedges and people coming the other way in the middle of the road - with aerial on the left it's pretty vulnerable - I may put replacement on the right.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’ve tried in-car antennas before and found them more susceptible to electrical interference from the vehicle electrics. The amp in the antenna will also be pretty basic and will amplify everything including noise.
This is what I thought TP, you’ve got to have a decent signal to start with the be able to amplify it successfully, then it begs the question, why amp it?

Funnily enough this is on my to do list - bent welding rod at the moment...........................
How much hassle is it to replace the entire unit? inner wing out? and how much the replacement?
The problem around here is overgrown hedges and people coming the other way in the middle of the road - with aerial on the left it's pretty vulnerable - I may put replacement on the right.
The replacement is surprisingly straightforward, is almost say easy if it didn’t involve working through the hole in the inner wing. I’d say the other side might be crowded with air intake tubing but there could be room. You certainly don’t need to take the wing off. The Co ax is even on a plug to the aerial body so you don’t have to pull it back to the radio.

i can get new genuine ones rich if you go down that route.
Can you PM me a price Karl please. I’d be tempted as it’s (I think) quite a strong metallic construction. You could even send it with my bit of fuel pipe if I have it. :)

Tried 3 or 4 screen aerials Rich cheap and expensive they were all rubbish.
Got this one in the end and its fantastic...

View attachment 151602
I was expecting the screen ones to be bad TBH. That eBay one looks like the sort of money you need to spend and looks good. I do want an electric one though to be able to retract it if I need to. OR an alternative such as the slopes back ones on the roof…though I’m not sure where on the roof I’d put it really, what with everything else that’s there.

I have a mast you can have from my 80 but its only the telescopic bit

Replacing the electric ariel
Can you PM me a price Karl please. I’d be tempted as it’s (I think) quite a strong metallic construction. You could even send it with my bit of fuel pipe if I have it. :)

Everybody should have to change an 80 series electric ariel without removing the wing once in their life. I mean,how difficult can it be to insert a 6mm setscrew??

Everybody should have to change an 80 series electric ariel without removing the wing once in their life. I mean,how difficult can it be to insert a 6mm setscrew??
I suppose that depends how many times you drop it and have to crawl around in the flower beds cursing loudly looking for the thing when it’s wedged itself somewhere in the wing…

I have new genuine antennas in stock. I also carry the replacement internals. I'll send you a price as a comparison.

Replacing the electric ariel

That easy? to replace the entire unit? mines knackered cable and all - NOT just the mast. True I've not investigated far, but a peek underneath nothing to be seen, can it be got at from underbonnet? [having removed my LPG bits and bobs] thanks in advance,

Will do mate. i usually have a few in the man cave stores but currently out. Can soon get them though ;)

Left hand drive 80s are on the right.

I need a manual one. Anyone know if the 105 and 80 are the same antennas ?

Back