Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rattling noise when letting off accelerator

guachoargentino

Country Flag
argentina
Anyone know what this rattle means?

Happens when letting off accelerator and sometimes on idle (very slightly).

no idea what it is so would appreciate some guidance. Happy to upload a longer video if the noise isn’t clear in this one.

Took this video today, may or may not be related. May not even be a problem but just something that's bugging me. It was very windy so it may not come through clearly but there's this slight humming which occurs at regular intervals. Can be heard better when the phone is closer to the engine than it is to the fan.

Took this video today, may or may not be related. May not even be a problem but just something that's bugging me. It was very windy so it may not come through clearly but there's this slight humming which occurs at regular intervals. Can be heard better when the phone is closer to the engine than it is to the fan.

Have you checked all the exhaust heat shields with the engine running that they are not touching the exhaust and that the exhaust is not touching anything else , also check the catalytic converter is not rattling inside itself, check with a rod or something similar touching the cat and the other side to your ear to pinpoint the source of the rattle . try the rod on other suspect areas too .

also check the air filter box is not vibrating against the inner wing by getting someone the flip the throttle while you hold firm and let go of the air box to see if the noise stops or changes ,

Thanks Tony.

The heat shields weren't the culprit but the heat shield in the back, that I had added bigger washers to, I noticed today that it had just come off and was sitting on the exhaust. Took that out. I noticed that a couple of the threads have broken off (ones holding the nuts).

The rattle/noise from the first video is still there. Not the air filter box either. Definitely coming from somewhere in the bonnet. I just can't place exactly where.

Regarding the heat shield...am I looking at getting melted now that that's off? :)

Thanks Tony.

The heat shields weren't the culprit but the heat shield in the back, that I had added bigger washers to, I noticed today that it had just come off and was sitting on the exhaust. Took that out. I noticed that a couple of the threads have broken off (ones holding the nuts).

The rattle/noise from the first video is still there. Not the air filter box either. Definitely coming from somewhere in the bonnet. I just can't place exactly where.

Regarding the heat shield...am I looking at getting melted now that that's off? :)
Ok Nick , another thing to try , the plastic engine cover has washers under the bolts /nuts that hold it on to the intercooler etc , and sometimes the washers go missing when mechanics or owners work on the car and the vibration of the cover without the washers can make a rattle noise , try taking the plastic cover off the engine completely and see if it makes a difference , if it is that that was making the noise you can put some washers under the bolts to sort it . good luck .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok Nick , another thing to try , the plastic engine cover has washers under the bolts /nuts that hold it on to the intercooler etc , and sometimes the washers go missing when mechanics or owners work on the car and the vibration of the cover without the washers can make a rattle noise , try taking the plastic cover off the engine completely and see if it makes a difference , if it is that that was making the noise you can put some washers under the bolts to sort it . good luck .
you can still modify something to put the heat shield back on ,

We have the same problem. Did you figure out where the noise was coming from?

Back