Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear axle pressure release valve thread size ?

roy

Country Flag
scotland
hi there, i am looking to do the breather extensions on the truck and would like to know what size the thread is on the rear axle pressure release valve ?
so i can get a fitment to go in for a piep to go on.
i do not have access to my truck as i am away for a while.

cheers roy

Roy,

Its a BSP thread (I think its BSP-P a Parallel thread as opposed to BSP-T, Tapered).

I put a BSP fitting into mine:

DSCN5375.jpg

But - what size is it ??? BSP is different to what you may think, I'll go and dig out another fitting and measure it.

A bit later . . Good, I've got a spare fitting and an Imperial Thread Gauge and its 28TPI - which makes it 1/8 BSP.

See here: http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/bsp.html

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Well I have a spare 80 axle on my drive so I went for a look at that. I would guess that it would be the same. Toyota never made more parts than they needed. It seems to be a 10mm taper. It make no sense measured in imperial but in metric it's 9.99mm. I tried a 10 mm bolt in there and it was smooth for a turn or so. As it's tapered you could actually thread it 10mm straight as there's enough metal in the taper to cut a new thread. No need for it to be tapered at all. I might do the same. I would get a 10mm bolt, bore it out then turn part of the head down to make a pip to shove the air pipe on. There maybe a hose tail available in this thread in which case screw it straight in and shove some tube on.

Chris

Interesting Bob. Maybe different on the two then. Of course there is plenty of metal, I would just drill it out and tap it 1/4 bsp and stick a push fit 6mm od connector in there. Making sure I didn't fill the diff with swarf of course. But then I have mine in bits so often, it's not an issue for me.

Chris

Edit mk II. Are you sure it's not 1/8" NPT Bob. That looks rather like a VIAIR coupling. Not the same but very hard to tell them apart. And in this application it wouldn't be a problem. The 80 hole is deff 10mm and certainly only takes a taper. Mr T must have had an off day :ugeek:

Chris

Chris said:
Are you sure it's not 1/8" NPT Bob. That looks rather like a VIAIR coupling. Not the same but very hard to tell them apart.
Chris

1/8" NPT is 27 TPI, my spare brass fitting appeared to be 28 TPI on the gauge. I'll need to do a 'metric conversion' . . maybe 28 TPI is 1mm pitch :doh: . (Actually, I think 1mm pitch is nearer 26 TPI as I recall a 5/16" Cycle Thread fits an 8mm Metric Fine thread :think: ).

I'm not sure what the fitting is, I have three of four fittings in the box and one of them threaded in cleanly. The hole didn't appear to be tapered. They look like Parallel Pipe Thread to me but I could be wrong.

When I next have some time I'll do a bit more research on the fittings I've got.

Bob.

Didn't ecoman do some stuff on this, i know he had kits for sale so may know the thread sizes

Yes Paul thanks for that :thumbup:

The fittings are 1/8" BSPT and if you need good quality nickle plated brass fitting or even stainless (although the stainless are not cheap) I can provide them for you. I have straight and elbow types to suit your requirements.

I don't recommend you fit the cheap plastic fittings as they are easily broken. :thumbdown:

I can also do t-pieces and tube. The tube comes in various colours and I'm very competitive with my pricing :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back