Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear brake drum removal.

This is only a small thing, and I've posted about it on another forum, but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else comes across the same problem - namely, getting those brake drums off. The nearside one on my KZJ wouldn't budge, and one of the convenient m10 tapped holes in the face of the drum (into which a screw can be threaded and turned to help force the drum off) was stripped by some previous owner. So I looked in the workshop manual and saw this:

01.jpg

I spent a couple of hours trying to slacken off the adjuster as shown. You have to move the adjuster locking arm away from the starwheel and rotate the wheel to pull the brake shoes back from the drum. According to the manual the locking arm is between the adjuster and the back plate, which is shown here by the oval hole you stick the screwdrivers through. I couldn't get it to work (wasted 2 hours!), so I took the other drum off (came off easily) to have a look, and this is what I saw:

SANY0001.jpg

The locking arm is actually on the other side of the adjuster, nearer the face of the brake drum. And instead of trying to pull the adjuster locking arm with the screwdriver through the oval hole you have to feel behind the adjuster and push the arm away. Once I discovered this it took me two minutes to get the drum off. I don't know if all 70s are the same, but the workshop manual drawing is seriously misleading for the set-up on mine. Hope this may save somebody some time.

John_McCartney said:
. I don't know if all 70s are the same, but the workshop manual drawing is seriously misleading for the set-up on mine. Hope this may save somebody some time.

I just checked my workshop manual,Pub No 362626 and it DOES NOT have the misleading arrow,different diagram altogether.

All 70 series with drum brakes are the same ,so are the early 80 series(in some countries) and all the 60 series and probably the 40 series.
All the drums I have ever tampered with require you to push the rachet pawl.

What model KZJ is that? I would have thought they were all disc by the KZJ models,but we dont see them much in oz.

It's a 1994 KZJ70 with the 3 litre KZT engine but no electronics - mechanical injection system. They were sold in small numbers here between 1993 and 1996. On the VIN plate mine seems to be number . . . 275; a friend had one that was numbered . . . 24. So I'm guessing there were less than a thousand brought into the UK. All those that I've seen had rear drums.

Pawl! That's the word I was looking for . . . :oops:

The Toyota manual as issued (at considerable cost ) in the UK is publication no. RM 183E.

Page BR-76 includes illustration BR0698. This is the one that John has pictured. In my copy of the manual I have noted "push up to loosen" and in the margin "push not pull lever away from adjuster". The illustrations do not tally with the actual brake set-up as fitted to UK models. Furthermore the drum size denotes the heavy duty version ie. a dia. of 295mm. I assume that the pictures are for the light duty model which has a dia. of 254 mm.

As John mentioned, the KZJ70 is a very rare and sort after model in the UK. In all, only 389 were sold by Toyota GB. This is out of a total of 1,100 70 series models.

Roger

Good to know,I forgot about the LJ/KZJ drums being 254mm but the pic that John supplied looks fundamentally the same as mine.
The heavy duty models didnt get rear discs till 95 in oz ,so I would suspect the light duty models didnt either,or maybe they went straight to the 90 series and didnt bother fitting them to the LD 70?

RoscoFJ73: Your Pub No 362626, does it have a RM number on it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Birder said:
RoscoFJ73: Your Pub No 362626, does it have a RM number on it?

I
Birder,it doesnt have an RM ,just the Pub No 362626E. Note, I added the "E"
It seems the earlier manuals were just the number. I think RM only means Repair Manual anyway.

Are you looking for one for your HZJ75? Because 322626E is not the right one,its for the 84-90 FJ/HJ/BJ60 and 70 series,although you can get by with it for most body/chassis information
I do have the publication number for the later model(post 1990) but Ill need to wait till daylight before I go and get it.

I have RM183 and RM315, the reason i was asking was that i would like to get the one you have but cant find it anywhere

Birder said:
I have RM183 and RM315, the reason i was asking was that i would like to get the one you have but cant find it anywhere

Whats wrong with RM183E and why do you need the older version?
The 1HZ engine manual is RM175E

I collect manuals,

I have RM172E for the 1HZ engine, so 175 is another i would like.

how sad is that.......

I will take it Rosco is right, he has helped me since i have had my truck. RM012E is a 2H/12H-T Engine Manual as far as i can tell, i have the earlier one but not that one

Back