Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear differential lock or LSD. When does it work?

Jureb

Hi,

I have this switch in my 90 series - 2002 left hand drive, European model with 1KD-FTV. Once I push and turn it to lock the rear differential this red light comes on the dashboard and starts blinking. I've read on some Toyota forums that blinking means it's not actually engaged/locked. When does it stop blinking or when does the rear diff lock then? Do I have to put the 4-wheel drive control lever in a specific position so the car would let me lock the rear differential? Do I also have to move a bit so the gears link together or something?
Nothing is written in the owner's manual (from this forum) about this...

Is it an LSD or a locking differential? It's such a pain in the a** not having the correct owner's manual :smile:.
1612377482444.png
1612377595561.png

That is a proper locking rear diff switch

For it to lock while the truck is stationary is a one in a million chance because things need to align to lock , if its good and many aren't due to lack of use and corrosion forwards and reverse for a few feet should do it and you will know its locked as soon as you try to corner and one rear wheel locks and skips .

For it to lock while the truck is stationary is a one in a million chance because things need to align to lock , if its good and many aren't due to lack of use and corrosion forwards and reverse for a few feet should do it and you will know its locked as soon as you try to corner and one rear wheel locks and skips .
Thanks for the tip. I will try it soon somewhere off the tarmac.

but it doesn't lock until you put it in low range does it. You can't have rear locker in without centre first and then low range.

I have the LSD, it's entirely passive. You'll know if you have one of these if you hear tyre squeal slightly at tight faster manoeuvres, e.g. u-turns, pulling out of less busy car parks.

As others have said that switch is a diff lock.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Most likely the actuator is corroded away to a lump of mixed-metal slag, which is why it's not working!

I've had a couple that came in kit form like those.... Made by Hammer & Bucket if I recall.

See if it works first , both my 90's have originally and working rear diff locks and the oldest is 23 years .

See if it works first , both my 90's have originally and working rear diff locks and the oldest is 23 years .

They obviously didn't come from 't frozen north - where the roads are carved out of salt :lol:.

My 2001 '100' (from Yorkshire) was exactly the same:

DSCN3415.JPG

DSCN3452.JPG

Bob.

These lockers age very bad I see. Mine must also be trashed since I live under the Alps, our cars get a lot of salt each year :dance:. I will check it out today.

I was looking for guidance on the rear diff lock for my LC 100 series Amazon and came across this video, which I recall looks exactly the same as the rear locker on my old Colorado 95 series.

Shows a nice break down and rebuild, if it helps anyone understand the workings.

Back