Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear door warp - seal misalignment

Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
I noticed on my Collie that the top of the rear door does not meet the body and subsequently the rubbers don't seal properly. The previous owner has added 3mm strip of 30mm wide rubber across the full width inside of the door in order to keep the rain out but I'm wondering if this is a common problem. Don't know if it's possible to bend or twist the door back into shape? I know the spare wheel makes the door heavy but it hasn't dropped its definitely out only at the top. :think:

Strange! Maybe adding more sealing strip would be less risky than correcting the door?

It has had some sealing strip added previously but always looks like the door isn't closed. More of an aesthetic issue tbh

Mine looks like it has an excessive gap and from the side it looks like it is tilted out slightly from the top but I've had no issues with it sealing. I intend to adjust the hinges as described eklsewhere on the forum as I get the classic squeak but it's a matter of having someone (likely my daughter) to assist but not gonna happen in lock down and more serious issues underneath to consider anyway. My guess would be that the top hinge has had more movement from original postion than the bottom. Could also be that if the door is allowed to swing out onto it's stay and the stay at the bottom prevents it moving so far but there is more effect at the top where they is no stay.

La puerta trasera con la rueda de repuesto sufre mucho porque soporta mucho peso y las bisagras tienden a deformarse levemente. Resolví un problema similar colocando unas arandelas entre la puerta y la bisagra inferior

Just noticed this thread and i remember thinking the same many years ago and asking on the forum about it . Seems its normal but goes unnoticed until some bugger points it out , i still doubt the door is shut properly every time i use it because of that gap .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its very annoying as the gap s quite excessive but not worth spending a fortune on a new rear door. Maybe I will try the washer trick :think:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back