Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear heater fan wiring question

stu-pid

Hi Im new to the forum, I've just bought myself an 01 D4D engined colorado and having come from a string of landrover defenders this is like driving a bentley!
The only thing ive found that doesnt work is the rear heater fan, ive tried both the front and rear switches and the little lights come on on the switches but the fan doesnt blow any air, I took the centre console & drivers seat out today to have a look at it all, I got the fan working by putting 12v across it so there must be some sort of wiring or switch fault.
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a wiring diagram for the fan? I tried to identify what each wire does with my multimeter but its far too complicated for my brain! I cant find a fuse for the fan either but im assuming its fused along with something else?
Please help, im very close to having a completely working vehicle for the first time in years!!
Stu

Hi. Does yours have the two speed switch for the rear fan on the back of the console? Have you tried moving this between fast and slow to see if the fan works? There may be a small resistor/regulater in the loom feeding the switch that may be playing up. Hope you find a simple solution .

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

It might be that the previous owner removed the piping (running coolant from the engine cooling system) because the piping does tend to rust after a while. A leaking heater pipe would cause a loss of engine coolant so not a problem you can live with. Hence people cut the pipes and block the ends off - not much point in having a running heater with no heat, so maybe he pulled the fuse?

Not saying that's the source of your issue :mrgreen: Just mentioning the possibility!
Welcome to the club BTW!

Cheers,

Cheers for the welcome & quick replies guys.
Ive tried flicking the fan speed switch, doesnt do anything and the pipework is still in place and appears to be quite new.
I searched the forum for a wiring diagram & found a whole wiring manual for the colorado but the rear heater wiring still doesnt make any sense to me, Im tempted to just fit a new power supply, switch and relay to the fan!

I don't have a 90 /95 series anymore, but frankly given the superior nature of Mr T's wiring, it's unlikely to need that by pass. I would think that it's a common fuse somewhere. I presume that the main front fan works? The handbook should list the fuses. As it's an electrical system, it can't NOT have a fuse. Might be a dirty switch or a bad connection on the multi-plug in the back of the switch.

Welcome to the club btw, sorry you are having a problem. It's unusual on a Toyota you know.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its working! It was the fuse which was marked 'Rear AC' in the engine bay. Cant believe I wasted an hour of my life in the freezing cold tracing the wiring without checking the fuse first! What a numpty!
Thanks for the help guys. Next jobs are to fit the leisure battery, split charge system, inverter & find a decent winch bumper....

Back