Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear heater removal

JimmyLJ71

I want to remove the rear heater.

I no longer have any seats in the rear because it has all been racked out, so i want to remove the heater and cubby box and replace it with a mini cool box.

Can the heater be removed easily?, presumably there must be a flow and return pipe, do these need to be linked together, or capped off?

i keep meaning to do the same to mine, ive also removed my rear seats. im also concerned about the pipes running to the rear heater because there very rusty, and if they were to fracture id loose all my coolant. :thumbdown:

you just need to disconnect the 2 pipes in the engine bay and loop them back together.

i had to do this once in an old VW golf when the heater matrix decided to burst on the M6. :thumbup:

Many thanks

I have a proper Waeco fridge in the rear, but i am going to permanently fit a Waeco Tropicool ct-07 as a cubby box/cooler for drinks etc whilst on the move, both have circuits in that detect if the battery is getting low and shut down, my proper fridge will run for days without making the battery flat.

You can either cap them or loop them. If you cap them, it is the equivalent of having the heater run cold. When I did mine I looped them. Removal of the heater is simply a case of unscrewing everything in sight. I also stripped out the pipework as it was no longer required.

Roger

Many thanks Roger
Is there any pics of your truck on the forum, what do you have?

I have a KZJ 70, circa 1994 with 150,000 miles on the clock. I have had it for 14 years which may be a record in it's own right.

I have been modifying it for most of those years with ideas that range from the minor to the major but all with the idea of making a virtually go anywhere motor.

There have been pictures shown on Difflock and the other Landcruiser forum but I will get a fresh set for you. You may have to wait a few weeks until I take my next group on a green lane trip but it will give me a chance to polish out some of the scratches.

For those who don't know, I am the Warwickshire rep for the Green Lane Association.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a few pictures from the archives.

Roger

P9200040.jpg

P9200064.jpg

P8170025.jpg

P8170018.jpg

test.jpg

P7053080.jpg

cool 70 :thumbup: :thumbup:

what have you done to it to get the articulation you have in those pics ??

Red Oktober said:
cool 70 :thumbup: :thumbup:

2" lift using Dutch made springs with OME shocks and then junk the anti-roll bar. If you have decent shocks, the roll-bar is not necessary,that is my considered opinion of course, as long as you drive accordingly.

And that's it. Most of the time the wheels stay on the ground and the odd occasions when I lift one, the Tru-Trac in the rear diff. keeps me moving.

Roger

Roger Fairclough said:
[quote="Red Oktober":7yc3812q]cool 70 :thumbup: :thumbup:

2" lift using Dutch made springs with OME shocks and then junk the anti-roll bar. If you have decent shocks, the roll-bar is not necessary,that is my considered opinion of course, as long as you drive accordingly.

And that's it. Most of the time the wheels stay on the ground and the odd occasions when I lift one, the Tru-Trac in the rear diff. keeps me moving.

Roger[/quote:7yc3812q]

truck looks good Roger. :thumbup:

do you have many good lanes around Warwickshire? ive never ventured down that way, but its not to far for me.

where did you get your rear locker from? im after one for mine. :thumbup:

ben said:
truck looks good Roger. :thumbup:

do you have many good lanes around Warwickshire? ive never ventured down that way, but its not to far for me.

where did you get your rear locker from? im after one for mine. :thumbup:

Hi Ben,

Locker came from Milners. I bought it in August 08 and it cost me £402.14. Warwickshire is very rural and most of the lanes are relatively flat and short and most of the surfaces are soil or soil and stone. There are a number of fords which range from puddles to SERIOUS.

From experience, the hills in Shropshire offer steeper climbs and longer runs across the open areas.

Roger

ben said:
thanks. i may have to check out some of these fords next time im down that way. i presume they are all listed on wetroads. :thumbup:

http://www.wetroads.co.uk/warwickshire.htm

Hi Ben,

Yes they are all on Wet-Roads. Under normal conditions, they are all ok, but the Avon crossing at Little Lawford, the Blyth at Packington and the Alne at Aston Cantlow can be VERY dangerous even in a mild flood. All three were left out in the recent TOR route in Warwickshire for that reason.

Roger

Sorry Roger i didn't realise your pics had been posted, don't seem to be notified unless i have a PM.

Nice truck,

Similar to mine, looks like yours has lights in the bumper, mine doesn't have that.
Yours i think has the bigger engine and is manual.

I like the hidden winch, will any winch fit, or does it have to be something specific?

Presumably you mount a standard winch mount to the chassis.

I see you have a sump guard, i bought a sump guard and transguard from a french company, yet to fit.

http://www.n4-offroad.com

The 70's seem to be big over there, saw them everywhere on my Alps trip.

JimmyLJ71 said:
Sorry Roger i didn't realise your pics had been posted, don't seem to be notified unless i have a PM.

Nice truck,

Similar to mine, looks like yours has lights in the bumper, mine doesn't have that.
Yours i think has the bigger engine and is manual.

I like the hidden winch, will any winch fit, or does it have to be something specific?

Presumably you mount a standard winch mount to the chassis.

I see you have a sump guard, i bought a sump guard and transguard from a french company, yet to fit.

http://www.n4-offroad.com

The 70's seem to be big over there, saw them everywhere on my Alps trip.

The rear bumperettes are home made and the lights are from Rubbolite. Normally these are fitted in commercial vehicles. Yes mine has the 3 litre with the manual box. The winch is a Warn 9,000lb with a Champion motor. In hindsight, a bad motor choice as the brush holders are unplated steel and prone to rusting with the consequence that the brushes seize up. I might just junk it and get one from that guy in Devon. The winch mount is again home made, along with the bumper. Most winches will fit, the exception being the Superwinch ones with an external brake. These are physically too long to fit between chassis rails. The guard is welded to the winch mount and it protects the steering mechanism. I have also seen a lot of the 70 series in Europe but they are all 2.4 litre and very much commercial orientated.

Roger

Back