Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear high mount brake light

PWE

Country Flag
australia
Hi
have anyone remove their high mount rear brake light on a LC76 before?
i want to install a reverse camera and want to take the feed through the hole.
i tried to remove it but if I pull on it hard it will break, so was hoping someone have either the manual that show how to remove it or have install a reverse camera near it.
thanks

welcome nice intro.
not many people on here have them as not sold by toyota europe.

Mate, I did not want to mention the Ashes or the upcoming Rugby World Cup, so did a short message only!

I don't know about the light on the vehicle you are referring to but on my 80 there are two plastic rivets at the top of the light.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440247031.339836.jpg
If it's anything like that, you push the centre in gently with a small tool or biro and then remove them allowing the cover to be gently pulled off.

Hope this helps. Post a photo if you're up to 15 posts.

Richard

Last edited:
Hi SWE

Did you open that roof light? I have also posted similar question for my Prado roof brake light, I dont see any screws and I fear the same as you did to apply force on it.

Hi PWE,
Did you find a way to get that brake light opened and removed?
Or Taimur, did you find a way?

I'm getting the roof on my Prado sprayed white to keep the car cool in the African sun and that light is in the way!

Many thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi PWE,
Did you find a way to get that brake light opened and removed?
Or Taimur, did you find a way?

I'm getting the roof on my Prado sprayed white to keep the car cool in the African sun and that light is in the way!

Many thanks!

I have taken some photos of the light so that you guys can see what light I am talking about.
As you can see, they are busy with sanding and want to get that light out of the way as soon as possible, so any speedy advice would be very much appreciated!

There are no visible screws, clips or other on the inside and the entire roofline has been taken out. :confounded:

172234d8-f3d0-48a1-b06e-f6ebc37160a8.JPG
c0acec76-f7e6-4bd6-8d20-615e39fcfc86.JPG

Hey there. Unfortunately it’s just a click off job, which always runs the risk of snapping some plastic right? The black plastic cowling just snaps off, made more difficult by the tapered ends. Then the base plate unscrews from the body. I’ve used the rubber grommet inside to feed electricity to my roof lights.[/

G'day

Was there any special technique to getting the black surround off - press, pull lever in and particular places ,

Thanks for any tips you have

Hi
have anyone remove their high mount rear brake light on a LC76 before?
i want to install a reverse camera and want to take the feed through the hole.
i tried to remove it but if I pull on it hard it will break, so was hoping someone have either the manual that show how to remove it or have install a reverse camera near it.
thanks

Hi mate, I found mounting mine here was straight forward enough for running cables and tapping into the reverse light for power / auto screen switch.
Viewing angle showing enough of what's going on and the edge of the bumper. Just got to remember about the spare wheel lol.

IMG_20190704_175225.jpg

Hi mate, I found mounting mine here was straight forward enough for running cables and tapping into the reverse light for power / auto screen switch.
Viewing angle showing enough of what's going on and the edge of the bumper. Just got to remember about the spare wheel lol.

View attachment 157030

Found a diagram for the light. I wanted to remove mine so I could clean the bodywork around it. Haven't attempted it yet though.

475538c101b4bd7546ea1b773e1c7aed.png

Thanks Mike - Very helpful - I will give it a go and let you know what breaks and what doesn't - looks like there are 2 lugs on the end of the black surround that pull out - will spray with some lubricant first to loosen the dirt and assist in getting them out :)

Success! - Was extremely tight - I didn't think it was going to come off without breaking - I had to lever each end a couple of mm and then spray lubricant onto the 2 lugs - use a long thin directional tube on the spray can nozzle to get the lubricant in. Wait a few minutes to let it soak in and then at each end - then underneath push a flat bladed screw driver or such in between the trim (81977) and the mount (81572) - using the gutter with some shielding for leverage. I had to use a fair amount of force. I ended up with some minor scratches on 81977 as I couldn't get a grip on it with the flat screw driver as I levered it - If possible make a tool like a 7mm wide flat screw driver with a 1mm lip on the end of it to push in and hook it under the bottom of 81977 at each end and then lever out. (polish the end of the tool smooth so it doesn't scratch as you push it in) Lubricant is a must or it will break as it is very very tight. Good luck!

Success! - Was extremely tight - I didn't think it was going to come off without breaking - I had to lever each end a couple of mm and then spray lubricant onto the 2 lugs - use a long thin directional tube on the spray can nozzle to get the lubricant in. Wait a few minutes to let it soak in and then at each end - then underneath push a flat bladed screw driver or such in between the trim (81977) and the mount (81572) - using the gutter with some shielding for leverage. I had to use a fair amount of force. I ended up with some minor scratches on 81977 as I couldn't get a grip on it with the flat screw driver as I levered it - If possible make a tool like a 7mm wide flat screw driver with a 1mm lip on the end of it to push in and hook it under the bottom of 81977 at each end and then lever out. (polish the end of the tool smooth so it doesn't scratch as you push it in) Lubricant is a must or it will break as it is very very tight. Good luck!

Nice one good effort. At least 81977 isn't too expensive to replace. Megazip want about 29 US dollars.

Last edited:
Back