Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Hub Locknut

Whitto

Country Flag
australia
hi,

Having trouble with my rear left axle hub locknut. I tighten it all the way as hard as it will go and am still able to turn the hub. I’ve checked and rechecked races, everything it seated correctly. It as though the nut it not apply symmetrical force to the bearings.

Bent axle housing or bent hub? Anyone have experience with this?

Common, someone must have experience of why the lock nut isn’t applying pressure to the bearings. No wheel play though so it’s just weird to me.

Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited:
Hi whitto,
Correct me if I'm wrong but afaik a hub is meant to turn on the axle and the lock nut regulates the play on the bearings.
Can you post a photo to clarify the issue you have, then you'll have more reactions.
Regards
Wout

Hi Wout,

The Service manual talks about tightening the locknut to spec, then releasing slightly so the wheel turns freely.

On one side I tighten the nut and you can feel
The drag on the bearings/hub as you rotate the wheel as you tighten to spec.

On the other side there is no drag at all, tightening all the way to spec and there is no resistance.

Afaik, there should be resistance, so I’m a little confused why there’s not. I took it for a drive so I’m going to test hub runout and bearing play today.

just a thought. its a while since i had mine apart. measure the amount of protruding thread of the one that wont lock when it's wound in to its fullest extent then compare with the other.

not sure what that would tell you but it might help diagnose the problem

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back