Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear locker motor rebuild - 'scuse my ignorance but ..

Glad it’s sorted Chris. I’ve had misalignment issues putting motors back together before and it doesn’t take much at all.

My Toyo shocks had a part double skin on the lower leading edge which capilaried water in there and rotted until oil came out. Heated the new set in waxoil which soaked in the crack so these won't rot. If you heat them up too much they go "pop" and you can see sky through the garage roof.

And this helped your rear locker motor how exactly Frank?

I loosened the top hat and started to rotate it. Bzzz. Bit more Bzzzzzt, bit more Whizzzz. It lives! I am guessing that the top hat probably met with a blunt force trauma (no idea where that might have happened :whistle:) so it's not round any more. .

I had the exact same issue with my rear diff lock actuator as you had Chris. I had put it all back together but couldnt get it to spin. :doh:

The auto electrician at work who fixed mine found that by undoing the bolts holding the top hat on it would buzz into life once power was connected.

So what he did was put power to it so it was spinning and then slowly tightened all the bolts holding the top hat on and once all the bolts were tight it then worked perfectly and has from then on. :clap:

Its crazy how expensive the actuators are new. :thumbdown:

Most people down here dont know they need to extend the actuator breather tubes when they buy their new 70 series so they kill the actuator(s) on the first deep river crossing and as its only a hundred dollars more for a complete diff with actuator from Toyota, than just an actuator on its own they buy a complete new diff! :crazy:

So what he did was put power to it so it was spinning and then slowly tightened all the bolts holding the top hat on and once all the bolts were tight it then worked perfectly and has from then on. :clap:

Exactly what I tried Ben. But just couldn't get a seal and have it spinning. Luckily the spare top hat fitted a treat.

The top hats have dowels for side to side alignment but they soon rot leaving little evidence of their existence. I got my motor spinning then drilled for new ones.

Just commenting on Clives comment Chris re the rear shocks as you obviously missed it. Keep up mate lol.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The top hats have dowels for side to side alignment but they soon rot leaving little evidence of their existence. I got my motor spinning then drilled for new ones.

Just commenting on Clives comment Chris re the rear shocks as you obviously missed it. Keep up mate lol.

I thought it would be my fault.... :doh:

Can’t imagine now why I mentioned a holed shocker in a thread about actuators, must have been a senior moment...

Now where did I put that spanner... :shifty: :think:

I know where I'd stick it ...

I have to confess that somehow in a senior moment I didn't even see the post about the shocker Clive.

Where's me pills?

I know where I'd stick it ...

I have to confess that somehow in a senior moment I didn't even see the post about the shocker Clive.

Where's me pills?

Your pills are probably in the same place as my spanner, Chris... :lol:

Back