Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear quarter rust repairs.

Rob-o

Doing something about the rust in my rear quarter panels(behind the bumper in the usual place) is getting near the top of the to do list.

I’ve seen a few pictures online where folk have chopped off the lower section at boot floor level, which looks like a lot less fabrication, has anyone on here done this? And do you have any pictures?

I fear this might be above my welding abilities too so if anyone can recommend someone in the south east it would be appreciated, or if there are any members who would like the work I’d prefer paying someone ‘known’ if you know what I mean!

Thanks, rob

I did mine by taking the curve out Basically.. They were Totally rotted out so made them at an angle so i could get two strong points for welding... Doesnt matter if your a good or average welder.. The nature of the job means it will be a Arse to do... Lots of cutting welding grinding repeat/repeat.....Even curving the steel to meet up under the rear light was for me more luck than judgement ... Have a crack Rob....
DSCF9677.JPG
DSCF9678.JPG
DSCF9680.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures, interesting to see what’s inside there, looks like you’d have to remake the body mount to get if flat under there. I’d say mine aren’t as far gone as yours were, I should just be brave and have a go shouldn’t I....

The rot here in 80’s I’ve seen, including my own, hasn't extended as far as the body mount, nor has the body mount structure been affected, even though it might qualify to be “within 30cm” or whatever the criterion may be.

That’s what’s stupid about a global “30 cm” rule, it should be based on structural integrity, not an arbitrary dimension.

At inspection time, I’ve had to argue here that the rusted front end of my inner wing panel has no effect on the front body mount which is within 30 cm of the rot. That bolted on inner wing has no structural contribution to the body at all, let alone at the point of the body mount which is secure.

Thanks for the pictures, interesting to see what’s inside there, looks like you’d have to remake the body mount to get if flat under there. I’d say mine aren’t as far gone as yours were, I should just be brave and have a go shouldn’t I....
The body mounts on mine were fine...Most of the hidden work is up inside from underneath.. access is a pain.. but my axle was off, and the spare wheel mount plate, So i had a bit of head room ... The best thing i bought was a Power file or finger file some folk call em.. and a pack of 50 belts of ebay... you can get in the most inaccessible places ... You just cant get in with a 115mm grinder to do a good enough job... Shame your not local to Me I would come and have a look.. (not do the job, But have a look)..:lol: would like to say again those Power files are brilliant,, mine has a adjustable head Put some 40 grit belts in it..Can reach almost anywhere (Vari speed)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks really smart, good work! I got under mine earlier and it’s actually not quite as bad as I thought, probably more like patching rather than rebuilding but I know how these jobs snowball! I’ll get the bumper off soon and post some pictures. Thanks for sharing yours mate, very helpful.

Rob

Nice job Higgy.

Myself and a mate did the same as you on my camper as i wasnt too fussed about how they turned out. Ours looked move of a patch job though lol.

Got a couple of rear quarter panel "cuts" if you find yours are worse than you thought once you start digging rob.

I also have the rear quarter sections rob. If yours arnt bad its an easier job to repair /plate the origonals.

Thanks folks I hadn’t even thought to ask about repair panels!

The thing that’s putting the job off at the moment is the thought of lifting that kaymar rear bumper off, it weighs a bloody ton!

No worries.
Have you a engine hoist for that rear bumper? Rope off garage ceiling, a jack..
I do everything possible to avoid mauling nowadays.

7C71E939-05AC-4B47-82A2-77A6A034370E.jpeg
No worries.
Have you a engine hoist for that rear bumper? Rope off garage ceiling, a jack..
I do everything possible to avoid mauling nowadays.

Haha I try to conserve energy too, first lesson in forestry my old man taught me, don’t lift anything that doesn’t need lifting. I could always do it the way I put an engine in my SJ a few years back, it worked surprisingly well.

View attachment 155459

Haha I try to conserve energy too, first lesson in forestry my old man taught me, don’t lift anything that doesn’t need lifting. I could always do it the way I put an engine in my SJ a few years back, it worked surprisingly well.
That should do it...

Back