Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear seats

Edward Moyse

Hey all,

Does anyone know if it's possible/easy to put rear seats into a RJ73? It's definitely not urgent, but the one thing that's a bit annoying about it is I can only take one passenger (and my other car is a two seater too... not very practical!). Apparently once I import it to France I can get it reclassified to have more seats... I was wondering about getting benches that fold up (not sure about the legality of those, but I've seen quite a few Defenders etc driving around with them)

Cheers,

Ed

I have no idea re seats, but please, double/treble check it can be done - France is NOT the place to modify your car! You cant get Grey imports in without complete rebuilds, so I would hate for you spend thousands and still be defeated.
Cheers

Thanks a lot Steve - what do you mean by grey imports though? I've got 2 years to import the car now, so I'm not rushing into it... but my understanding was that it would be relatively straightforward (though this is France, so obviously it's relative!) as long as the car was sold in france (which my model was). So I'm off to a Toyota garage soon, to get the Homologation (which takes up to 6 weeks apparently!) and then I think I just need to go to the Prefecture and start the process...

I've been told by someone else that during the import procedure, you can reclassify the car as having more seats.

jap or more specifically non Europe spec prado / colorado /80/100 etc etc. If it wasnt produced for Europe then its seat belts, glass, mirrors, headlights, tyres, engine emissions? and anything else they can think of! If however it was sold in Europe you need the CoC from Toyota France and a CT test, headlight change (if needed) and your away.
Steve

jap or more specifically non Europe spec prado / colorado /80/100 etc etc. If it wasnt produced for Europe then its seat belts, glass, mirrors, headlights, tyres, engine emissions? and anything else they can think of! If however it was sold in Europe you need the CoC from Toyota France and a CT test, headlight change (if needed) and your away.
Steve

It was produced for Switzerland, so I think it'll be okay. I can't get a CoC (it's too old for that) but the homolagation is the nearest equivalent. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a massive ball ache and way more work than I imagine (it's France) but I don't want to try to get it through another Swiss inspection (and insurance should be cheaper in France).

I hope so! Check the chassis number if you can and see what it says? They can be funny buggers! all that red tape etc. A lot depends on the person you get at the test center. If you speak French, that helps!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have an LJ70 with the rear seats taken out. If i recall it was easy, about 4 bolts holding the sewats in, and 2 bolts holding the seatbelt end (and possibly the seat as well)
Anyway, if you would like I could probably take some pics of the mounting holes and the seat that is out if you would like a reference.

Oh and I googled the RJ70 and went to images and some of them definitely have 4 seats.

Tarbon's RJ70 has 5 seats IIRC, and our FJ73 had 6 (1+2 in the front and 3 in the back).

I think I've got pictures of both; I know they're Australian but at least it'll give you an idea.

I decided to check and my VIN is JT1V0RJ7309000492, which gives :
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q?vin=JT1V0RJ7309000492

Market
Europe
Year
03/1994
Make
TOYOTA
Model
LAND CRUISER
Frame
RJ73
Vehicle characteristics
GRADE:LX:LX TYPE
DESTINATION:EUR:EUROPE
BODY:HT:HARDTOP
DRIVER'S POSITION:LHD:LEFT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE:22RE:2400CC EFI
FUEL SYSTEM:EFI:ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION (GASOLINE)

So I think I'll be okay to import it. I looked at few pictures of rear seats, and I didn't see any benches - they seem to be ones that run parallel to the front seats. I'm not sure if I have the clamps on the floor though. :-/ I'll try to have a look in the truck over lunch.

Hopefully this'll work.... I've uploaded pics rather than link from hosting.

Front seats that were in our FJ73
IMGP2737.JPG

Rear Seats (in use)
IMGP2741.JPG

IMGP2742.JPG

Folded flat, showing the bracket at the back that it clips into:
IMGP2746.JPG

Hope that helps, I can't remember where the RJ70 pics are, but I'll find them for you as well.

Ed

Last edited:
Indeed it does look promising. Due to the age I dont think you will need C of C.
Bolt the seats in and take it to these guys...............

The DREAL (Directions Régionales de l’Environnement, de l’Aménagement et du Logement) replaces the DRIRE (Directions Régionales de l’Industrie, de la Recherche et de l’Environnement). DREAL is the authority responsible for vehicle testing imported cars before they can be registered in France.
Go in person to the DREAL.

• To find a regional DREAL office: Click here and select your region (in French)
Take:

• The vehicle
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence (property title deeds, rental contract, utility bill, insurance certificate)
  • A copy of the foreign registration certificate
  • A copy of the certificate of purchase and customs clearance certificate (issued by the Centre des Impots)
  • Driving licence
  • Cheque book to pay the fee
The vehicle will be inspected and verified that the make, year and chassis number correspond to French homologation standards, la fiche d'homologation. This process can take two or three weeks. If the car conforms to these standards, there will be a fee to pay, varying on the vehicle.
Note: Even if the vehicle is homogene, there are certain things that may need changing because, for example the engine you have does not have the same number as the one in the French homologation fiche, or the optics are not the same, meaning the headlight casings of a right hand drive car will need to be reset or replaced to accommodate driving on the left.
It may therefore be required that changes are made and the vehicle be returned to the DREAL to be re-inspected and approved. The vehicle may be driven in the interim.

Hi Edward have you had a look at bus seats on tracking with quick reLease on them hope it helps and good like I have 2 sets of bus seat if you wood like them .
tonytoyota .

Hi Edward re bus seats I mean seats out of a bus on Quick Release on them if you let my have your mobile number and I will send you a pics of the bus seats .
Tony.:thumbup:

Back