Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Springs for KZJ78

tommi786

Hi all. I am having issues with rear springs bottoming out on my KZJ78 when loaded with 2 adults and 3 teenagers with only modest load in the back. Bear in mind I do have a custom made drawer system in the back weighing around 35KG plus a 6th spare wheel on a TJM roof rack which also has a roof tent and a high lift. I has changed rear springs originally to Dobinsons with 45mm lift which used to bottom out with me alone in the car and no other luggage or passengers (but of course with the kit mentioned above fitted).

2 weeks ago changed to Koni rear shocks plus a set of used springs from the front of an 80 series (completely standard original factory springs). The 80 series springs gave me a little more lift without load and with me alone in the car completely took away the bottoming out.

However on a trip this weekend with family in the car, full tank of fuel and moderate luggage the car was as easily bottoming out as with the dobinsons. Also the rear was a lot lower than the front. Note when unloaded rear is about 2 inches higher than front which looks right.

I realise used LC 80 front springs will not be as strong as new ones.

I am now confused and contemplating one of the following:

1. Replace dobinsons which were newer but with a 30mm poly spacer

2. As in 1 above bit add in an Airlift Airbag but am concerned whether this will take african offroad driving for any time

3. Replace with 20% stronger 80 series new springs but am worried these may be too high or harsh or both

4. Replace with a set of brand new 80 series standard front springs to avoid harshness in 3 above

5. Look for a decent raised stronger set of springs made for the KZJ 78 but don't know which ones.......

Suggestions please!

Not a lot of help as I have just joined the Cruiser world with my 78. Of all your options, I would ask myself the following, is 20 % more enough? OME and Dobinsons are all I've found so far for the 78. But I've just started looking. I really like the thought of the air bags. Total customization of your ride regardless of weight in the vehicle. As for the durability, from what I've seen stateside, unless your expecting to have a Lion chewing on them, they should hold out for quite a while.

Jim

I have ruled out 1, 3, and 4 (using spacers or any form of 80 series front springs). I am going for springs made for the 78 rear - heavy duty.

Re Airbags, am really keen on this but was under the car yesterday and have noted that there is no real upper support for them at the top of the spring mounts. On the KZJ78 the spring seats at the top are fully open (a big round circle just short of the spring diameter) and about an inch above that is the car body base panel. Airbags would therefore in my view be pushing up on the car body rather than the spring mounts and frame. That would be no good and probably cause damage.

Anyone with experience in this?

I've currently got Dobinsons suspension on my LJ70 and I'm going to get Dobinsons to supply me with some stiffer rear springs as the ones fitted are no where near stiff enough for the amount of extra weight I'm carrying. :icon-smile:

I'm thinking of getting +100kg/+150kg rear springs made. :think:

Having played around with lots of different springs from other vehicles, like 80 series fronts and 79 series front, I've come to the conclusion that its far better to get the right springs, designed for the vehicle rather than trying to make the wrong spring work. :shifty:

I've tried Ironman, OME, EFS and Dobinsons and found that Dobinsons were the best and Ironman were the worst. :icon-biggrin:

Hi Ben. Agree with you. Living in Kenya, the previous Dobinsons dealer here has shut down so could not get my hands on their 100KG set easily and without huge shipping cost so have opted for springs made for Robbs Majic here (TJM Approved distributor) - fitted to the car today and it feels much better and firmer. These were made for the LJ78 rears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Rich

Tried that already and they do fit and without load give good lift plus are better than factory. However with load they do not stop often bottoming out.

Back