Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear suspension

Vivek

Country Flag
india
Hi, I am Vivek from India having a Land Cruiser 80series, VX- 1996. It is in original condition with no modifications. Done about 2 Lakh kms.
While changing tyres, we noticed that the rear axle is a bit on the left side, that is wheel protrudes out a bit in the left side of the wheel arch and is a bit inward (2cms) on the right side.

We checked the lateral control arm (it is 105cms) and it's bushes, they are fine. Dampers are good. Cool spring free length us 45cms.

Is this normal or should I check done thing else?

Thanks and Regards.

Hi, I am Vivek from India having a Land Cruiser 80series, VX- 1996. It is in original condition with no modifications. Done about 2 Lakh kms.
While changing tyres, we noticed that the rear axle is a bit on the left side, that is wheel protrudes out a bit in the left side of the wheel arch and is a bit inward (2cms) on the right side.

We checked the lateral control arm (it is 105cms) and it's bushes, they are fine. Dampers are good. Cool spring free length us 45cms.

Is this normal or should I check done thing else?

Thanks and Regards.

Hi Vivek,
I just went out and checked my 80 series. Viewed from the rear and lightly loaded I make exactly the same measurements as you:openmouth: I have never noticed that before :think:. My 80 is currently very lightly loaded. As weight is added the axle will shift to the left as the panhard rod (lateral control arm) rotates clockwise. Still I am amazed that I have not noticed that before. Others will chip in I am sure but your situation is probably normal!

As Nick has mentioned raising the suspension will move the axle to the right as the panhard rod rotates anti-clockwise. My 80 has a 50mm lift...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Byron for referencing on your vehicle. I feel reassured.

Hi Vivek,
I just went out and checked my 80 series. Viewed from the rear and light loaded I make exactly the same measurements as you:openmouth: I have never noticed that before :think:. My 80 is currently very lightly loaded. As weight is added the axle will shift to the left as the panhard rod (lateral control arm) rotates clockwise. Still I am amazed that I have not noticed that before. Others will chip in I am sure but your situation is probably normal!

As Nick has mentioned raising the suspension will move the axle to the right as the panhard rod rotates clockwise.

It’s nothing to to worry about Vivek, all sounds normal, as the axle moves up and down relative to the chassis/body, it follows an arc where the chassis mounting of the Panhard Rod is the centre of the arc”s circle.

Welcome aboard by the way :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s nothing to to worry about Vivek, all sounds normal, as the axle moves up and down relative to the chassis/body, it follows an arc where the chassis mounting of the Panhard Rod is the centre of the arc”s circle.

Thanks a lot..

Thank you.

Back