Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear wheel carrier recommendations?

Knucklehead

Now that I have upped the tyre size, trying to figure out options for carrying the spare:think:

• in the back strapped to the floor anchor points - not ideal
  • on a roof rack - possible
  • finding a rear bumper wheel carrier.

Looking at options in the UK, there is ARB at 2nd mortgage prices and a couple of custom made options that look a little agricultural.
Really like the look of the Slee ladder/wheel carrier but haven't seen anything like that here.

Has anybody had a any dealings with:
http://www.freewayslattitude.com/pa...id-sv/652-pare-choc-arriere-toyota-hdj80.html?

Looks OK. Probably needs a bit of fiddling to get the rear lights legal as wheel would block fog and probably the rest.
Prefer just a single carrier so thinking their right hand single option would be better on the left for UK.

Anyone that can recommend a decent wheel carrier appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

Can you Kaymar in the uk ? They will out last anything on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an ARB rear bumper/integral rear wheel carrier.

When refurbishing it recently, I carried the spare inside for a time, truly a pain in the ass, dirty, smelly, and used up all my load space, la, la, la.

Optionally, I carried it on the roof, problem there is they are heavy to haul up and down, straps fray over time, but a mechanical mounting would solve that. Top heaviness never seemed a problem to me, but you would suffer the extra wind resistance, small effect though that may be.

A rear carrier is the real answer, but at a price.

Here's mine, works well, but cost an arm and a leg and a few more appendages.

The ARB is well built (but I've had issues with the powder coat allowing too much rust to appear over the 7 years on the truck) and it has repeater rear and indicator lights, solving the obstruction issues.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

yeah yorkie, had Kaymar kit on my Patrol in OZ. Great kit but don't think they can be sourced in the UK.

Cheers for images Clive. ARB do some really nice kit. Looked at them through TBR in UK but the prices are frightening.
Might need to up the budget if can't find something else.

Dave.

If you have a steel bumper there's a great rear wheel carrier for a Hummer H2 keeps popping up on ebay for £250 , it's not on there right now but it's been listed a few times over the last month . It would take very little modification to fit from what i can tell - assuming you have a steel rear bumper .

This is it but i found it on google images which tends to keep ebay images for a few days after the listing expires
mMuiapj4iCDBANJ3Od1ssfw.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Shane.
Unfortunately just the standard rear plastics on at moment so looking a complete replacement steel bumper/carrier suitable for 315s.

Might give the freeways latitude guys quick email as decent prices. Hard to tell quality from pictures though.

Kaymar is available, but it's at a price. Can give you the details, but no cheaper then say ARB.

I added two swing outs on the frogs 4x4 bumper. Somebody else had done this before me. I know for sure because I stole his idea :):)
DSC_3783.jpg

Basic package

DSC_3833.jpg

On the 80.

DSC_3865.jpg

Adding spindles.

DSC_4151%5B1%5D.jpg

Building swing outs.

DSC_4541.jpg

Finished product. Basket with two jerrycans can swing away seperately so you can climb up.
You can take the basket off.
You can also remove the ladder and move the spare tire more to the center.

Ian - thanks for the link. Will have a look into their carriers.
Charlie - appreciate if you could send me details of the Kaymar supplier in the UK in case I decide to cough up extra dosh for what I had before.
Geert - looks well. Ladder is a good idea

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
I tried tracking down a UK supplier for a Kaymar rear bumper just this week and couldn't, so I'd be keen to know too :thumbup:

Just chanced it Lorin as when i could never find what i was looking for i'd use the daughters laptop instead , sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but different browsers and blah blah blah you never know .

What about these guys? The stuff I have had is pretty good quality, so far anyway!

Doh! just read the rest of the post and found someone had already pointed them out - the owner speaks English, and they are very keen and postal costs are very good (from Swisslyand to Froggyland anyway!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Would love to fork out on the ARB but would find myself divorced and on the street.:angry-boxing:

Did notice company saying they can supply Keymar:
http://www.surreyoff-road.com/protection.html

Cheers,
Dave.

:lol: I managed to get the payment made without her indoors noticing! I'd have been on a long walk with the locks changed, if she had :lol:

I imagine you will already know, but the ARB has optional sides for the swing-out, or both if you want a twin carrier.

I'm liking Geert's set-up :thumbup:

Last edited:
I hope to be back in SA at the end by the end of the year and happy to help getting a Kaymar too you if it helps and you can wait.

Back