Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Window Removal

IRLGW

I'm due to catch the ferry to France on Thursday evening and having just built my rear drawer system I decided to tint the rear windows to keep the dogs cool. I fancied doing a proper job and so elected to remove the glass...

After consulting the FSM for removing the rear quarter windows (as they are technically known) I armed myself with two taped-up screwdrivers and removed all the 'garnish'. I could peel the weather strip away as far as the window that was open, but the outer lip seal is continuous under the aluminium track that runs round the body lip and doesn't appear removable to one side or the other. To make it worse the bottom of the aluminium track was quite badly corroded and looked like it was about to break if I moved it too much.

Can the glass be removed with this track in place? If not. how the hell do I get it out. Any step by step pics would also help!

I'm due to catch the ferry to France on Thursday evening and having just built my rear drawer system I decided to tint the rear windows to keep the dogs cool. I fancied doing a proper job and so elected to remove the glass...

After consulting the FSM for removing the rear quarter windows (as they are technically known) I armed myself with two taped-up screwdrivers and removed all the 'garnish'. I could peel the weather strip away as far as the window that was open, but the outer lip seal is continuous under the aluminium track that runs round the body lip and doesn't appear removable to one side or the other. To make it worse the bottom of the aluminium track was quite badly corroded and looked like it was about to break if I moved it too much.

Can the glass be removed with this track in place? If not. how the hell do I get it out. Any step by step pics would also help!
Hi, can't help with window dismantle but it may be easier and cheaper to buy the whole unit and replace that, especially if your one has the dreaded tin worm, I noticed one on Flea bay yesterday and thought an odd item to advertise, but it seems not, you may have enough time to do it before your ferry best regards, BillWestley

Checked that out but its only one window and it's as good as I have! I'll just have to try tinting in situ and then re-do at a later stage.....

Checked that out but its only one window and it's as good as I have! I'll just have to try tinting in situ and then re-do at a later stage.....
Hi again, I wonder if its worth ringing the guy as he may have others, I know there is a breaker in Wisbech , you never know...... ( no connection to me by the way

I would still have the problem of trying to remove and refit the whole assembly and risk damaging the perfectly good one thats in there. I can tint them in situ for now and then work out how to remove them when I have more time to look at it logically!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bought a few of those in ASDA last week and will see how long they last. As far I know the windows are actually very easy to remove if you have the technique so maybe I'll suss it out in France and have another go at the roadside :think:

The procedure in the FSM appears quite simple and it may well be with a new(ish) vehicle but on one 20 years old, as you have seen, there's a good chance the whole frame could just crumble, not to mention broken clips and fasteners etc. In your situation I think I'd tint in situ, doing as neat a job as possible and trimming the film as close to the glass edge as you can get. You may be surprised how good it looks afterwards and forget about removing the glass altogether.

mine were done in situ, not perfect but good enough imo.

If your heading down towards us, (Dordogne / Charente borders) I know a man who does a great tinting job & then back to us for a BBQ!
Steve

That's a great offer steve and I'll keep it in mind, Initially I'll be heading for Annecy because I have a B&B booked there as I originally intended doing the etape du tour. However I ruptured two discs in my neck 6 weeks ago so won't be doing much cycling! I also hope to see the Mt Ventoux and Alp D'huez stages of the tour the following week. If I don't go for the finish in Paris then a good chance I'll head for the west coast but otherwise look out for a red truck wedged under the finish barrier of one of the stages :oops: The truck will be celebrating its 200,000 birthday along the way so would be nice to mark the occasion!

Also Steve is there anywhere in france I can buy insa turbos? Got a nail in one (dakar) today and dont have a direct replacement. Going to plug it but would like to replace it if possible....

I think I will take your advice jon and leave well alone!

Back