Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear windows

warrenpfo

Took one out today in the hunt for a leak, it's got lots of crap in the runners and the alu frame has started to corrode and lots of white almost lime scale like crap in the rubbers. I have cleaned it all up and am about to reinstall it all. Should or can I rub the frame down with a rag and some red rubber grease to slow corrosion down?.

That white powder is typical aluminium corrosion. I got the worst off mine and washed in hot water to remove any salt. Then dried and sprayed with WD40. No further corrosion in 13 years. Also you can wait for a hot day and use the WD40 pipe to top up without having to remove the assembly again. Not that I did. Keep meaning too.

This thread prompted me to clean out the sliding window channels on mine this evening. Cleaned them out before of the usual muck and green algae that gets in there but never bothered peeling back the outer rubbers before. Found a small amount of the white powdery stuff but cleaned off in a few minutes and gave the frame a good dose of ACF50 so that should fix that.

Back