Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommend an oil gun?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Anyone got an oil gun, or other oil suction method they are happy with?

I bought a Draper oil gun to put oil in my Jimny gearbox, which makes my 120 Front Diff seem like the personification of easy access. But it's dreadful. The tube to nozzle leaks. The nozzle to gun body leaks. A new tube and sealing the nozzle with chemical metal allowed me to do the job, but anyone meeting me today will think I've been bathing in hypoid oil.

I also have a Sealey pump but that only sets up a siphon which needs careful, and difficult placement of the oil container you have relative to the point of access.

So what is a good product? I don't mind paying a few quid.

Ta

I got a cheap and cheerful Lazer pump from screwfix because its only down the road , needs must sort of thing , but it does the job well enough that i never got around to looking for better . Shame it only holds a litre but at the same time its size allows you to hold the bottle in one hand and pump with the other .

I use Hoselock garden sprayer with the spray nozzle removed. Used it for years. Does a brilliant job. Pout the oil in, pump it up and there you go. OK it's not like 10 gallons per minute but it's super reliable and you can get it into really awkward places. Plus you can leave the oil in it.

I also use an old garden sprayer that we were chucking out as the pump part had gone. I just fitted a schrader valve from an old Motorcycle inner tube into the top of the sprayer and pressurise it with an air line from a portable compressor. Works a treat at filling but it can't suck old oil out of course. Prior to this I tried a large metal syringe type oil filling/emptying gun with one way valves but it was crap and leaked all over the place.

My first thought was a garden sprayer. You can also get one for fence spraying that are a bit more robust.

I bought one of these, not cheap but it is very good and holds 3 litres:

The container is not pressurised, making delivery more controlled.

DSCN5072_zpsyendsulq.jpg

I can't find the advert now, they seem to be selling 'build your own' kits from a variety of containers & pumps.

There is a video here:

It makes filling diffs, gearboxes and Transfer boxes a doddle :thumbup:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had one of those silverline jobbies, a RPITA got covered in EP90, now I use a fire extinguisher, it has a screw top to get the oil in, and a schrader valve to pressurise it with a tyre inflator, I have one each for gearbox oil and axle oil.

Some extinguishers have an air type nossle to foam up the contents, best remove that and put a longer hose on, or the oil gets a bit frothy and takes ages to settle enough to set the level properly. (ask me how I know :icon-lol:)

If you're using the manual syringe type things, warming the oil up in a hot water bath first makes it a whole lot easier, I still managed to get covered in the stuff tho, hence my new method:angry-extinguishfl:

Reactions: uHu
That fire extinguisher sounds like an excellent idea. I have several 6 kg powder ones, after replacing with foam. What is a good way of getting rid of all the powder without making a mess? And I suppose it needs a good scrubbing before being trusted with virginal gear oil.

I just fired it into long grass under a hedgerow, didn't make much mess at all (a small cloud floated across the field :icon-lol:) gone with a quick blast of the jetwash, charged them with water twice and fired that off to clean the inner gubbins, fired just air twice attempting to dry them out. Then I cleaned them out with the jetwash then stood them next to a log burner overnight until they were completely dry.

remember they're design to empty quickly when you're charging it up, doesn't need full pressure depending how much is in it, you get used to it soon enough

Last edited:
I just fired it into long grass under a hedgerow, didn't make much mess at all (a small cloud floated across the field :icon-lol:) gone with a quick blast of the jetwash, charged them with water twice and fired that off to clean the inner gubbins, fired just air twice attempting to dry them out. Then I cleaned them out with the jetwash then stood them next to a log burner overnight until they were completely dry.

remember they're design to empty quickly when you're charging it up, doesn't need full pressure depending how much is in it, you get used to it soon enough

I guess you keep them well marked in case of fire…anyone using them on a fire would get a big surprise. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: uHu
Garden sprayer. Cost £12 had it years. Done gallons and gallons of oil. I can't think of any real reason why I'd want to make it more complicated. Done diffs, gear boxes and the ATF on the auto

Garden sprayer. Cost £12 had it years. Done gallons and gallons of oil. I can't think of any real reason why I'd want to make it more complicated. Done diffs, gear boxes and the ATF on the auto

Ditto on that one Chris, a most useful tip, mind we do have a proper windey dispenser for the EP diff oils, two turns per litre.

Yes well you do this on a large scale. If I were doing lorries like you, I'd have something much bigger of course. But then I can't get my cruiser quite so high off the ground as you.

Back