Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Redarc dcdc charger installation

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Wishing to install an agm battery to power a fridge. The instructions call for a 6mm2 cable.
the battery may be 4M away from the alternator/ battery connection. Is 6mm2 enough? Fused at the connection point of course. Any advise welcome.

The DCDC charger should be as close as possible to the aux battery, this is my set up

Attachments

• Battery.JPG
    Battery.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 58
Thats a Tidy Set up Charlie,
How long is the cable from the main battery to the redarc?

I just followed the specs on cable given by Redarc, seem to think it was 20mm for a 5 m run mine is a 40 amp charger

I just followed the specs on cable given by Redarc, seem to think it was 20mm for a 5 m run mine is a 40 amp charger
Thanks David and Charlie
The redarc manual quotes 6mm squared (25amp unit) but i would have thought it should perhaps be bigger if the redarc unit and agm battery were right at the back near the tailgate which may be 4 meters of cable from the front battery connection. Or at least give a max length of 6mm cable. Perhaps I will email them with a query

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just go with the biggest cable you can afford/find. You can’t have a cable that is too thick the larger the gauge of the cable less voltage drop and you will have faster charging, be sure the fuse all links in the system though.

Back