Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Relay for starter motor

Cardo

Garage
Country Flag
grenada
Hi fellow LJ70 0wners, my starter won't engage and I just get a click noise. I have checked the batteries and charged them up and as they are only a year old I have eliminated them. I think that it could be the relay but I cannot for the life of me work out where it is. I think it might be this image that I am uploading. Could anyone confirm for me please.
IMG_0485.JPG

Hi Cardo,

I don't think that's what you want it looks like the heater plug relay unless I'm wildly mistaken (not being a 70 owner). The relay, or to give it its correct name, the Solenoid is the round can that sits on the side of the starter motor. Depending on the click it is most probably this which is giving you trouble. If it is a tiny click you hear, then look for a small wire to the solenoid and see if it has become disconnected and/or test for 12v at it with the key to the start position. If it's more of a clunk that comes from the solenoid then the main contacts in your starter motor could be burned away (a common problem on the 80 series, don't know about the 70s) or there could be something sticking inside the starter motor. If you have a multimeter test for voltage (12v) at the output terminal of the solenoid with the key in the start position. If no volts detected then it's the solenoid contacts.

In the latter case, if you're handy with the spanners, remove the starter motor to a bench and carefully take it and the attached solenoid apart, noting positions of each part you remove especially the carbon brushes which should go back the same way in the same brush boxes, it's hard not to to be honest. Give it all a good clean and check for any burning in the rotating copper bars under the brushes called the commutator and post up pictures if in doubt, it should be nice and smooth and cylindrical. If the contacts in the solenoid are burned away then there's a kit available to replace them and the plunger. When you put it back together make sure you use Loctite or something like a dab of nail varnish on the cover screw threads to lock them lightly in place so they don't fall out and set your truck on fire (ask me how I know). Post up pics of anything you're not sure of.

Hope this is some help and I'm not barking up the wrong tree. :)

Hi Starcruiser. Many, many thanks for your reply. I will check all that tomorrow first thing as its getting dark here in a few minutes. Will report back. Cheers.

OK update. Finally found the starter relay lurking behind one of the batteries on the side of the engine compartment and checked it for continuity as per manual and it checked out ok. Put everything back and thought I would try hitting the starter with a bit of wood and a hammer. Well go to the end of our road, it fired up on the next try. Ran it for a bit and turned off and now it seems to be working properly. I guess the starter is liable to stick at anytime so it looks like I will have to travel with a hammer and stick for a while until I can work out how to get the starter off. Its in a flippin' awkward position to get at. Anyways I am mobile again........

Back