Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removal of Airbag

Len Cruiser

Country Flag
australia
Hi I would like to install cruise control but I do not know how to remove the air bag from the steering wheel.
Thanks Len

Not removed one from a Land Cruiser but have to assume you can access the screws (often Torx). The single most important thing is to have the battery disconnected. The general rule seems to be around 30 minutes, this should prevent accidental activation.

The next thing once the steering wheel is off is to remove something called a 'clock spring', this is super delicate. It is a permanent connection between the air bag and the car as the steering is turned, as opposed to a brush contact used for the horn. Once removed it must not be rotated from the removal position, some have tabs that prevent this rotation when not fitted.

Tools tend to be small 'Torx' drivers and circlip pliers on current vehicles, as earlier unsure what yours will use but worth having handy just in case.

regards

Dave

I have to ask, why you need to remove the airbag to fit cruise control? The bolt on units used to fit on a stalk or add a stalk.

It may be that to get the unit in the OP has to remove the clock spring, I am unfamiliar with the system on the LC so have no idea if it needs to come out?

I know some cruise control stalks share their mount with an opposite stalk, so the two are in effect one assembly, it would be fair to assume this type would need removal of the steering wheel, and with it the air bag.

regards

Dave

On the 90 series and going from memory there's a plastic blank in the housing under each side of the steering wheel , i think the removal of these reveal torx head screws , remove them and the steering wheel cover comes off . After that it's perfectly obvious what to do next . No spring on mine i just unplugged it and put it to one side so i could mess with the stalks .

Completely disconnect battery/batteries then turn radio , lights and everything else to the on position and let it sit for half hour before starting is what i do . Electricity triggers the charge that explodes the bag so you want all the spark gone before you unplug .

1998 Colorado .

Last edited:
I guess your clock spring was further down Shayne? The air bag test/deployment normally relies on a 'proper' connection, to return the correct resistance to the ECU. The bag may have a spade terminal to allow you to remove it but, to rotate the steering there should be a cartridge with the clock spring (some call them a 'squib') inside further down the column.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't remember to be honest Dave but i went in blind and found it all very simple . I swapped the seat belts to which are also charged and its just a plug so i kind of assumed the trigger is electric .

Some are dead easy Shayne, disconnect the battery, unscrew the bag, pull off the two connectors and the steering wheel can come off, under that will be a plate and cartridge. Often held in place with a circlip or a couple of screws. The cartridge is what contains the spring, it winds tighter when turning right and unwinds when turning left. Many have accidently turned the steering wheel when the steering box is disconnected, the spring over tightens and breaks, finish repairing the car crank it over and you have an air bag light!

The seat belt tensioners are all part of the 'SRS', your right, dead easy, again pull the battery connections and your good to go. I reckon nowadays that some of the top flight vehicles on the road have enough explosives collectively to knock down a small building!

Despite all the technology surrounding these systems, I am amazed at the accidents you see where the bags have not deployed.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/front_rear_side_airbags.html

regards

Dave

Back