Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Remove & Replace Roof Rack

Eric Nielsen

Country Flag
united_states
Anyone have information or videos on how to remove and replace factory roof racks for 98 Land Cruiser?

As your American should we assume yours is an LX450 Landcruiser 80 series ?

I can't imagine any of them being much different anyway so open the rear door and fold back the rubber trim that edges your interior roof lining , having done that it will be very obvious not much holds the roof lining in place . The plastic rivets pop out easily and can be reused , rear most seat belts , grab handles and interior light need unbolting . And the rack is simply bolted to holes drilled in the roof .

Last edited:
A 98 is a 100, also in the U S of A. (Could av been LX470, but OP says LC)

No need to touch the lining. Just flip the plastic covers off the feet, and find 2 bolts on each. This is assuming you mean the rails off the roof, and not a rack off the rails.
roof rail.jpg

A 98 is a 100, also in the U S of A. (Could av been LX470, but OP says LC)

No need to touch the lining. Just flip the plastic covers off the feet, and find 2 bolts on each. This is assuming you mean the rails off the roof, and not a rack off the rails.View attachment 157213
This is exactly how I did mine. 20mins easy job.

Anyone have information or videos on how to remove and replace factory roof racks for 98 Land Cruiser?
And don't forget the threaded bolt holes left in the roof after removal of the roof rails/bars are not blind, they go stright through to the head lining, so put some shorter bolts in with some sealer, other wise you will at best get a ruined head lining, I removed mine just to see what the LC looked like without them, I must say I liked the look, I have since refitted it.

As you probably know, removing them does little or nothing for the aerodymanics.

I have seen a picture of a 100 with the roof rails and the side steps removed, looked quite nice.

Good Luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not as much as I'd like. Still working on getting a solar system rigged up for the fridge then I can really start enjoying it. Camping/fishing with warm beer is just wrong.

Mine was fitted with an OEM roof rack which came off to fit a Bigcountry roof rack for my roof tent.

https://www.bigcountry.co.za/product-category/product-types/roof-racks/?model=l-cruiser-100
Very nice, bet that gets a lot of use in Zim.
Not as much as I'd like. Still working on getting a solar system rigged up for the fridge then I can really start enjoying it. Camping/fishing with warm beer is just wrong.
We won't get into politics, but there are a couple from Zim both in their late 70's moved in to our road about ten years ago, some of the storeys they have told about their trips around Rhodesia Zim and Moz in their LC's were fantastic, the story of their lives in Zim was riviting, unfortunately they were hounded out of Zim, and the crunch came when he was almost taken away for 'Reeducation' fortunatly he had more guns than the team that came to get him had at the time.

Still, it looks like your enjoying you trips around Zim, apart from the cold beer, good luck with the solar system.

Very nice, bet that gets a lot of use in Zim.

We won't get into politics, but there are a couple from Zim both in their late 70's moved in to our road about ten years ago, some of the storeys they have told about their trips around Rhodesia Zim and Moz in their LC's were fantastic, the story of their lives in Zim was riviting, unfortunately they were hounded out of Zim, and the crunch came when he was almost taken away for 'Reeducation' fortunatly he had more guns than the team that came to get him had at the time.

Still, it looks like your enjoying you trips around Zim, apart from the cold beer, good luck with the solar system.

Things in Zimbabwe are ok just now, as long as you're not trying to earn a living. My main business is in the UK so that supports the business in Zim.

I should probably start searching the forum for the best solar set ups... I'm sure someone has done it better than I can make up myself...

Things in Zimbabwe are ok just now, as long as you're not trying to earn a living. My main business is in the UK so that supports the business in Zim.

I should probably start searching the forum for the best solar set ups... I'm sure someone has done it better than I can make up myself...
From what I'm told , it can be problematic importing things into Zimbabwe, the couple over the road told me they were multimillionaire's in Zim, then he pulled out a trillion Zimbabwe bank note and told me at one time that would not even buy a loaf of bead,........ unbelievable.

From what I'm told , it can be problematic importing things into Zimbabwe, the couple over the road told me they were multimillionaire's in Zim, then he pulled out a trillion Zimbabwe bank note and told me at one time that would not even buy a loaf of bead,........ unbelievable.

We're back and forward to Zim three times a year and to be honest we've not had too much trouble bringing stuff in. The customs guys are always on the look out but as long as you have an invoice show the very very cheap price you paid in the UK it's not too bad.. The rack, Bundutop tent and Snomaster fridge came via bus from Jo'burg with a friend. He paid very little duty, a nice chat with the bus crew who handle the customs...

We're back and forward to Zim three times a year and to be honest we've not had too much trouble bringing stuff in. The customs guys are always on the look out but as long as you have an invoice show the very very cheap price you paid in the UK it's not too bad.. The rack, Bundutop tent and Snomaster fridge came via bus from Jo'burg with a friend. He paid very little duty, a nice chat with the bus crew who handle the customs...
Nice one, keep up the good work.

What's the weather like over there? is it Land Cruising 100 weather?

Nice one, keep up the good work.

What's the weather like over there? is it Land Cruising 100 weather?

What is Land Cruising weather? I'd love to try mine out in the snow but not much chance of that.

The weather here is pretty much perfect at this time of year high 20s - low 30s in the day and dropping to high teens in the early morning, sunshine from before I wake up till 6pm no rain forecast till probably late November.

What is Land Cruising weather? I'd love to try mine out in the snow but not much chance of that.

The weather here is pretty much perfect at this time of year high 20s - low 30s in the day and dropping to high teens in the early morning, sunshine from before I wake up till 6pm no rain forecast till probably late November.
Land Cruising weather is any weather.....Just driving yer Land Cruiser, yer know that feeling when you and machine become one, and you are the nut behind the wheel....it's called Cruisin....Land Cruisin.....Dude.

Back