Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing Exhaust Manifold Stud on a HJ61

Red Cruiser

Country Flag
australia
My front top exhaust manifold stud has broken off, the stud that holds the pipe for the oil dip stick.

I know the standard way of removing broken studs is to remove the Turbo Pipes etc and completely remove the exhaust manifold then weld a nut onto the broken stud. If I take off the above Mr Stud remover will take approx 45mins or less at a cost of $xxx.

However in removing the other nuts from the other 13 studs, I could break say another 3 so then its 45mins x 3 at $xxx x 3 to Mr Stud remover.

You can get at this broken stud with a drill to drill out this stud, anyone done this without removing the exhaust manifold?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter, I'm not familiar with the location of this stud, but you say you can get to it. Drilling studs is notoriously difficult. As they seldom snap off flat and smooth, getting a central drilling position is very hard. There are some really good You Tube tips for drilling studs. Most involve making some kind of guide to hold the drill bit centrally in the stud hole and drilling very lightly until you have created a central mark. You can also buy left handed drills. The advantage there is that sometimes they grip enough to spin the stud out whilst you drill. I'd try first to get some heat in there and cool it several times with penetrating oil to aid the chances of it moving.

The top rear exhaust manifold stud has snapped off on the3B in mine.

Given some thought on how it could be done with the manifold still on.

The biggest problem would be getting the hole in the stud centred well enough. You could do this by popping a pre drilled steel or hardwood plug/guide in the hole in the manifold.

I'd probably use wood.

The next is the tool to use. Whatever size hole you drill the two choices are a stud extractor or a splined/torx drive hammered into it.

I'm not sure which would be stronger but I've ot a set of long 1/2 inch torx drives which would be easier to get a half inch ratchet bar on.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I'll do the same. Manifold on mine has to come off to replace gasket but might use guide method to start hole before removing it.

Thanks for Your Replies.
ODD, re drilling would like my expert to use the techniques in the following video, ie metal guides/bolts to ensure the drill hole into the stud is central will discuss it with my mechanic.

Peter

Back