Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replace fuel pipes....

Frankieboy

Hi all, I've just replaced the fuel filler pipe on my fathers Land cruiser 100 , which wasn't that bad , but now I need to replace the fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay. has anyone replaced these? How easy was it ?????cheersfrank

When I replaced the tank and all the fittings on my 2001 '100' 'VX' I was surprised to find that the delivery & spill-return pipes were plastic and in perfect condition.

The pipes on my 1998 '95' were steel and were rusted through - so I replaced them with copper.

If I was you I would replace your '100' pipes with the later plastic ones from Toyota. It doesn't look like a difficult job as there are bolted pipe clips along the run of the pipes.

Bob.

Thanks for the reply Bob.
The fuel pipes on this landcruiser are the old steel ones, so you can imagine how rusty they are, there is a fuel leak coming from the return pipe very close to the fuel tank. My father has already bought the new (steel) pipes ,I couldn't believe how expensive they were but hey if you need them.....
From what I can see underneath ,the fuel tank has to come out to access the pipes , one of the bolts that hold the tank straps is so rusted that I can't even move it, I've covered it in penetrating fluid so will have another go tomorrow depending on the weather......

There is an access panel under the carpet under the back seat, I've heard. Supposed to give access to the lid on the tank where the 2 pipes and tank meter are located.

There is an access panel under the carpet under the back seat, I've heard.

There is :thumbup:.

DSCN5875_zpsmw7btgxk.jpg

DSCN5879_zpsg8zygdvi.jpg

This gives access to the plastic pipes on my 2001 'VX', If the earlier models have steel pipes I suspect they will be more like those on the '90-Series', where the fixed pipes from the pick-up unit connect to the main fuel pipes via rubber hoses:

DSCN5977_zpsemeczsrq.jpg

While you're at it, remove the pick-up unit and clean the Sock Filter . . . You really don't want one that looks like this :oops:.

DSCN5976_zpsrbkhyfqn.jpg

DSCN5969_zpsgvozjplh.jpg

The metal pipes can corrode and acquire pin holes where they come out of the tank - that's why I had to replace the whole pick-up unit on my '95'.

DSCN5973_zpsj9vafqmk.jpg

When I replaced the tank on my '100', I also replaced the two support straps and used new stainless bolts - they are M10 x 1mm pitch :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the photos ,that makes it a bit easier . definately worth changing the sock filter, can you buy the sock filter on its own?
I'm having problems with one of the tank strap bolts, its so rusted I can't move it.I've tried penetrating fluid, going to have another go this afternoon.....

They can be difficult to remove :icon-rolleyes:.

Try using a hot air gun on it and use a six-point socket to avoid rounding off the hexagon.

When I was taking the tank out of my '90' I sheared one of the forward bolts off (the one above the exhaust pipe where it passes over the back axle). I ended-up cutting a hole in the floor above the 'top hat-section' that it bolts to, vacuuming out the cavity and then blasting it with a propane torch - it came out easily then.

I then had to make a thin plate of the right shape and weld it back in.

I wouldn't use a gas torch under a '100' if the tank is still installed :icon-wink:.

I used a 'scissor-type' transmission jack to lower the 100's tank and tank guard, its an awkward damned thing and doesn't just drop down easily.

Best of luck.

Bob.

ToyoDIY shows 100-Series Sock Filters sold separately:

77023 (77023-60030) FILTER SUB-ASSY, FUEL SUCTION TUBE 1 € 14.76

The one in my '100' wasn't too bad and I cleaned it in kerosene (central heating oil) and blew compressed air through it down the suction pipe. It will be good for another 100,000 miles.

Bob.

Hi Bob, thanks for the info, I managed to get that bolt out in the end with one of those Irwin bolt grip sockets, it was so rusty that a normal socket was just spinning.....These Irwin bolt grips are definitely worth getting for the tool box .....
Does the handbrake cable have to come off as it's connected to the rear tank strap ??

cheers
Frank

Frank,

As I recall, I just disconnected the handbrake cable from the strap, I didn't have to remove it.

I have seen those Irwin sockets and they looked very useful. I must get a set.

Bob.

Hi Bob, I've been doing a bit on the cruiser today, drilling out the rusty bolts that hold the handbrake cable ......
did you have to remove the exhaust to drop the tank ?
cheers
frank

Hi Bob, I've been doing a bit on the cruiser today, drilling out the rusty bolts that hold the handbrake cable ......
did you have to remove the exhaust to drop the tank ?
cheers
frank

Frank,

Yes, I removed the exhaust centre section.

My tank guard was toast, Toyota didn't have any so I made one from fiberglass.

DSCN3261_zps5f646418.jpg

DSCN3268_zps84f679b3.jpg

DSCN3272_zps090ff999.jpg

Bob.

Ohh my god I've never taken on a job quite like this one, most of the bolts had to be drilled out, the car is virtually striped ,loads of rust.......
The tank cradle is in bits......I think this landcruiser has spent most of its life at the bottom of the sea......
Ive got no idea how I'm going to get the new fuel lines fitted, there is so many bends ....
Has anyone actually fitted new steel fuel lines ?????? Is it actually possible

Frank

Has anyone actually fitted new steel fuel lines ?????? Is it actually possibleFrank

The steel lines on my '90' were corroding away so I made new ones out of copper pipe - 10mm for the delivery and 8mm for the spill return. These are standard small-bore heating system pipes.

I carefully removed the originals then formed the new pipes alongside the old ones - using cable ties to keep them together. It wasn't too difficult to form the new ones and then install them (though one of the pipes was a bit big for the clips).

DSCN3253_zpsdb10fc6c.jpg

DSCN3254_zps04655075.jpg

DSCN3257_zps5b1bce35.jpg

Your '100' sounds just like mine underneath - its very depressing trying to work on it.

Bob.

The tank cradle is in bits......I think this landcruiser has spent most of its life at the bottom of the sea......Frank

I've still got the mould I made for the tank cradle. It sounds as though I should make a batch . . . . . .

DSCN3177_zps3715a071.jpg

DSCN3178_zps84990dd7.jpg

DSCN3193_zps19fb3d08.jpg

DSCN3195_zps6229ea19.jpg

DSCN3205_zps80f58ad4.jpg

DSCN3212_zpsc9a51593.jpg

Its probably too cold here in Scotland at the moment - the resin won't cure :doh:.

Bob.

Hi Bob ,the main fuel line is in.......five hours, in the end I had to bend the pipe slightly.....I was going to have a go at the return pipe today but after yesterday I'm aching where I was laying under the motor...
The tank cradle is shot so phoned Toyota ,its available at a cost of £348 + vat so will probably get a new one . We are also thinking about getting a new tank .

Hi, sorry to dig this thread from its sleepy grave ... We are approaching that time, of replacing the fuel lines. The driver side rear hydraulic suspension pipe has just burst and given that the tank has to come out, we're thinking of doing fuel lines too as they are rotten. Also MOT is approaching. Ours is an Amazon 4.7l petrol. My son had/has read that it needs to be a "body-off job" to fit? We have replacement steel lines already. Any tips? please note, our is basically a tow wagon, not off road.

Back