Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement water pump

cathl

Country Flag
uk
Hi, I'm new here hoping you can help. I'm looking for a replacement water pump for my Amazon, I believe it is a 100 Series, it is a 1998, GX, 4.2 turbo diesel manual gearbox. I love it a lot, it tows my horse trailer :)

I've been quoted £1500 for the part from Toyota which seems a lot!

Part number is DENSO 447300-7280 and the part is a water pump with a halcet pulley. It's leaking coolant when the air con is activated.

Thanks a lot

Hi,
The Toyota part number is 87120-60010 (I think), there are some used units around for about £300 ish see Ebay.
Or a new genuine Toyota unit from Japan via Amayama for £350+vat and a bit of postage/duty to bring it into the country, I have used them before for some of the more expensive parts it is a good saving instead of using the Toyota network here in the UK, you can pay via paypal too.
Lastly I have not checked but you maybe able to service the old unit with new seals and bearings.

I've been quoted £1500 for the part from Toyota which seems a lot!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Looking at the Toyota Parts list the basic water pump (for my 2001 'VX' 100-Series with the 4.2 litre 24-valve motor) is about £180.

I suspect the £1,500 you have been quoted is for fitting, fresh coolant, possibly a new drive belt plus Toyota's hourly rate!

If you contact Simon Holton, Parts Manager at Steven Eagell Toyota, at their Northampton Branch and tell him you are a member of this Forum you will get a discount. He is a good guy to deal with. You will need to quote the Toyota Part Number(s) below.

E: [email protected]
T: 01604 788303

Will you be getting it fitted/fitting it yourself without troubling Toyota ??

100-Series%20Water%20Pump_zpssxvimuni.jpg

Good luck with it.

Bob.

I fitted a new water pump on my 100 when I did the timing belt, not a difficult job at all. I can't remember what it cost but it was reasonable IIRC.

Hi,
I think the Denso part number listed in the OP is for the power heater pump not the water pump assembly.

Looking at the parts list again . . £1400 would be in the right ballpark for an Air Con Compressor.

The Heater Pump is in the engine coolant circuit, but why would the Air Con affect its performance ??

Confused now :?.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Me too. There's some conflicting info going on here that warrants a second opinion if you ask me. Do some more little posts just to use up your 15 posts (it won't let you add any photos until you have posted 15 times) and allow you to put some photos on showing where the leak us and no doubt you will get good help here.

Good luck with it Cath.

Hi,
I think the Denso part number listed in the OP is for the power heater pump not the water pump assembly.
The Power Heater and the A/C are on the same drive belt. Don't know if added drag/resistance on the belt would make a worn seal leak?

If it is the Power Heater pump which is leaking (top of engine, left hand side (opposite of A/C-compressor)) then just remove it. You don't need it anyhow. Take it off and join (re-route) the hoses going in and out.
Great place for installing an air compressor btw. I've seen air compressor with bracket to be mounted in that location for sale on eebay.

The Power Heater is only needed in extreme cold climates, in order to keep the engine temperature up when idling.

Where I live now, in the south of Norway, we get down to -15C in the winter, normally, and there's no need for the Power Heater. At -30C there would be a need, I believe.

Hello again and thanks for all the replies this info is fab :icon-biggrin:

T1pper thank you for that info it will help a lot I will check those out.

It is indeed a pump separate to the normal water pump right on the top of the engine (but I thought it was to the right I will look again though) so sounds like the power heater pump is the right name - thank you for that will help my search! I forgot to say I did try Toyota blueprint part suppliers, breakers and eBay etc before posting here for help.

I am currently using the car without the part in it (got to love an Amazon!) I think the guy just clamped off the hoses as he told me not to use the air com whilst it's out. He took it out to have a go at getting a replacement.

I'm not sure how it's linked to the air con but here's what happened: I took it to a local Toyota dealer pre MOT who for years have been very reasonable but recently seem to have been taken over by a team of rip off merchants (sorry) and they decided it needed about £4k of work, £1750 of which was the replacement of this unit due to a coolant leak. So I took it to my Dad's local garage who gave me a second opinion (which came to about £100) and he couldn't find any evidence of the coolant leak. We monitored the coolant levels and they stayed fine. However a few weeks later after we had used the air con we could clearly see droplets of coolant sprayed over the front of this power heater pump. The guy has tried to get a replacement and failed and the cost for the part from Toyota is £1500. He's advised to just put it back in and carry on as the leak isn't bad.

I will keep posting so I can add a photo.

Also if anyone knows a good 4x4 garage in North Cheshire please let me know cause I'm currently driving across to North Wales to use my Dad's local - everyone here I've tried seems to see an Amazon and think 'ch-ching £££'.

thanks all!

Last edited:
The only likely link with the air con is the belt as far as I'm aware (again I don't own a 100) as they are two completely independent systems. If you can get the pump apart, and remove the seal which should be in two parts, both ceramic and in rubbers with a spring on one (this is usual but a guess as I have never done one of these) then South Coast Seal Services will almost certainly be able to supply you with a new seal. Might be worth looking at the bearings as well while you're in there. Any grumbliness warrants replacement. Then refit and make sure the coolant is flowing there and that should do. Otherwise, as mentioned earlier, just remove it and deal with the pipes. Then I guess you would need to fit a shorter belt for the AC.

You don't really need an expert if you're thinking of only the Power Heater. Just take it off and get a shorter drive belt for the AC. The HDJ100 was sold both with and without the heater thingy, and there's a difference in the way the idler works. See this illus:
ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 06 22.21.jpg

and here's the w-belt length and p#, w and w/o heatpump:
ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 06 22.29.jpg

and this shows the idler wheel difference:
ScreenHunter_04 Jun. 06 22.34.jpg

Last edited:
Just to update you all on this, it was the Power Heater so thank you all for that seriously helpful info!

I searched in vain for a second hand one last year, so in the end I just left it and didn't use the air con so it didn't leak. Then tried again this year and behold one came up from a breaker on eBay - £90 - compared to £1500 for a new one.

It's now fitted and doesn't leak - just need to get the air con re-gassed now.

So you guys saved me £1410 - thank you :) :)

@uHu @StarCruiser
I know this is an old thread but my 100 has developed a fault, two in fact but might well be related.

There is a leak in the passage foot well. The puddle is clearly water, tasted it. Its not been raining for a long time and it only happens when I turn on the aircon. Picture below.

The second is the viscous heater has an almighty squeal when I turn on the A/C button. The innards must be shot.

Could they be related?
Is the viscous heater a serviceable part, ie bearings and seals?

20190617-193251-IMG_4703.JPG 20190617-165958-IMG_4701.JPG Viscous Heater.JPG

Last edited:
i have a second hand heater off my 100 when i did an engine swap.

I would guess the water when the AC is on is condensate from the evaporator escaping somehow. Do you get a puddle underneath with the AC on after a while or after a run? There should be a pipe underneath the passenger side firewall area that drips water. If you can locate that, check it isn’t blocked or bent up. It may also be worth checking up under your dash with the AC running if there’s no sign of blockage underneath. You may need to open up the evaporator box in the ducting but I’ve no idea if or how this can be done. It’s well worth giving an AC evaporator a clean once in a while with ‘coil cleaner’ or other AC cleaner. Not an easy job so hardly ever gets done, but all manner of crud can collect in there and cause a blockage though I would say it is rare but possible.

You may be able to push something flexible like a wire coat hanger up the pipe from underneath but do it gently after bending the end over so you don’t push it through anything vital (and expensive :doh::icon-surprised:)

Last edited:
Thanks StarCruiser will have a look over the weekend

Back