Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing my 100 series rear propshaft U/J bearings - how to video

Dan_the_drifter

Country Flag
uk
Not the greatest but thought I would put it up for people to watch, if it helps someone then it was worth the time making it I guess. Might try and do some more in the future on various things.

Give my channel a like and subscribe if you feel like it, it's generally full of drifting video's mind!

Cheers

Not the greatest but thought I would put it up for people to watch, if it helps someone then it was worth the time making it I guess. Might try and do some more in the future on various things.

Give my channel a like and subscribe if you feel like it, it's generally full of drifting video's mind!

Cheers

Brilliant idea but you need to sort out the audio, you hear all the bangs and knocks etc but cannot
hear whats said, which would have been helpful, all so where is the grease nipple on the new part ?

Dan, now a sticky in the FAQ and repairs section. Well done.

Thanks, will try and do a few more as and when I do things.

Brilliant idea but you need to sort out the audio, you hear all the bangs and knocks etc but cannot
hear whats said, which would have been helpful, all so where is the grease nipple on the new part ?

I know tell me about it, I spent a good hour filming and talking it through step by step then went to watch it back and the sound was s***! Which was weird as I have talked on that camera before just generally doing things and been ok but I did have the protective case on it to stop the gopro from getting dirty/oily so it might have been that.

I think people that do this a lot use tripod's etc to get a clearer less jerky picture. I also struggled with light when underneath the truck so trying to hold a torch at the same time didn't help. This youtube lark is harder than you think ha ha.

The grease nipple is in the end of one of the bearing caps - again I spoke about it but you can't hear :rage: if you watch the last bit of the video about 6.30 onwards just after I show the grease gun I go to the front then to the back of the prop and roll the prop around then point at the nipple in the end of the cap.

Cheers

Hi Dan,

Could you please post the rear prop-shaft spider part numbers that you used? And do you know what the front ones are?

I'm looking to fully refurb the shafts and replace the spiders but would like to check if the front and rears are different or the same? I've got conflicting part numbers, and information and its all got a bit muddled! I notice you're running an '02 as well (Mine's manf. date 2002/05) and I wanted to confirm that the PN's I've got are right.

upload_2019-10-30_9-6-17.png

Toyota EPC shows the following:
2x Front:
04371-60051

2x Rear:
04371-35061
04371-60060
04371-60041

When searching Amayama for the above PNs it shows these:
Front: 04371-60070
Rear: 04371-60060
...and both of these part numbers return the same GMB [GUT-23] spider result!

Roughtrax have the GUT-23, but as it all adds up I wanted to check before ordering 4x!

Thanks,

Graham

It's a horrible job especially getting the second pair of cups in without having one or more needles falling over inside not to be noticed until the two cups wont close together then you have to knock them out ruining one side. Perhaps it's just me Chris :grinning:.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you @uHu, does indeed look like they're the same front and rear. Will proceed with tear down and see what I find!

Thank you @uHu, does indeed look like they're the same front and rear. Will proceed with tear down and see what I find!

Sorry for slow reply, I bought the joint from Milner 4x4 product code: 009330 which says it is equivalent to:

04371-35050
04371-35051
04371-35060
04371-35061
04371-36050
04371-60070

This is what is on their site.

The front and rear U/J's are the same on the rear propshaft however the front propshaft is a slightly different size going by Milner's and i'm fairly sure when I did a friends hilux the fronts were a couple mm smaller too so double check before ordering!

Cheers

Thanks Dan,

Thanks for the info, I'll hold off on the ordering and get the verniers out when I break the prop down. Hopefully they're the same as that's much easier and cheaper...

I'll try to remember to post back on this thread with findings.

Cheers

Currently undertaking this and it's an arse of a job...the videos make the knock out or press out of the old cups dead easy, it's not.
Once pressed through the old cups are still to tight to pull or knock off. Tried heat with what I have, but still no joy. Managed to cut it out carefully but have the other end still to do.

I have done quite a few UJs over the years and found those on the '100' to be the most difficult. Those on the '90' were straightforward by comparison.

Bob.

Back