Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Report from another Welsh laning trip 19/20th May...

Jimbo4x4

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
...with an eventful episode from Strata Florida :thumbup: read on...

I went Green Laning at the weekend with the family, my dad's recently got back into off roading and while he's not yet ready to take his 51 plate Colorado into the rough he has gone and bought some Cooper STT's and a Maggiolina rtt to throw on his old G plate Isuzu Trooper which he's happy to run into the ground first. My brother (Mike) provided assistance with his memorymap satnav setup in his Isuzu TF DCab.

The two Isuzu's started off near Denbigh and did a few northern lanes before meeting up with me in Tywyn at Laura's parents place where we had stayed friday night. In the late afternoon we set off for Happy Valley and a couple of other lanes before setting up camp by a lake off another lane. We stretched a tarp' between mine and Mike's roofracks and figured we'd be dry enough for our bbq when the expected rains set in... how wrong we were - because when the rain hit so did the full fury of the wind :roll: We got thoroughly soaked but salvaged a good laugh, some delicious lamb chops and a half decent nights kip.

The next morning brought a slight let-up in the weather and pancakes for breakfast, then we set off and recce'd a couple of other lanes which may be worth a return visit one day, before heading down to Strata Florida and Soar-y-Mynydd. Strata was looking about average considering the amount of rain we'd had but we were having a good time of it when we reached the bridge on the forestry track for a brew-up. There was a group of 3 defenders and 1 disco just finishing their cuppa's already parked there. I quietly pointed out to Mike that two of the trucks were wearing Insa Turbo's; we'd seen fresh tracks of the same tread pattern heading off piste a little further up the lane, not that that was conclusive evidence it was these guys who were guilty. We had a natter and said we'd leave it 20mins for them to get ahead before we set off behind them. As they were driving off I said to Mike, "maybe we should've gone first, if one of them breaks down and blocks the track we could be waiting for hours!"

Sure enough, a couple' hundred yards on we reached the waterfall (or rather, a trickle that day), and there was the group of LR's stuck behind the lead Defender with its bonnet up :doh: He had driven down the waterfall then (flexing his muscles) tried to reverse back up it and fried his clutch, so they were waiting for it to cool down before they carried on. The other LR's were parked up on the waterfall by-pass route and as they went to move them out of the way so we could pass the disco driver proclaimed that his wouldn't start :shock: At this point I was shaking my head, how can anyone want anything so unreliable? "No problem" I said, "rather than push 3 trucks out of the way (see what I did there? ;) ), if we can move that Defender to one side we'll just go through the waterfall". Now it was their turn to shake their heads in disbelief, "you're going to drive down that? In them?", uh, yeah, it is the posted right of way after all! "Right you are!" the leader replies after a short silence, and we push his heap to one side and get to it.

Of course, the 3 Japanese warhorses made light work of the waterfall with Mike's HD rear bumper taking the place of the back wheels towards the bottom and we marched on, leaving the LR owners staring after us, still shaking their heads. As it was, my dad took the wrong line at first, getting close to a rock on his near side, so, at the steepest point he reversed back up a couple of feet to correct himself. I'm sure he didn't really need to, I think he just wanted to rub it in that his near standard Trooper was more capable in this scenario than the highly modded D90 that had blown its clutch doing the same thing :lol:

The LR's obviously got themselves all mobilised shortly after we passed them as, while doing a little photoshoot downriver, we see them catching us up... we also observe two of them head off piste for a play in the river. Now I don't know if many of you have driven Strata recently, but we noticed that everywhere there was some sort of debate as to which track to take the right of way had been clearly signposted. Hats off to whoever it was in Powys council who thought of doing this, because now there is absolutely no excuse for those who do go off the main right of way. Mike got plenty of photos of the lead LR and another defender splashing about in the river, and our unspoken question we had asked further north was subsequently answered.

What do you guys reckon we do with these photos? I haven't looked yet to see if the numberplates are visible but if they are they will be powerful weapons. I hear Powys Police are keen on crushing offending vehicles... :whistle:

Will try to get some of the other pics up soon, but I'm not online as much as I used to be, plus most of them are on my dads laptop. Will see what I can do.

TTFN
Jim.

Interesting experience. i was thinking it must be a nightmare at weekends on those lanes if busy and you meet oncoming traffic as hard to pass. Shame we didn't meet - we did same lanes but on different days...

Sounds like an eventful trip, ..... think the photos should be handed to the police (if their reg plates are on show) as it's that kind of idiocy that gets the lanes shut in the first place

agree. police. these clowns ruin it for the rest of us. 2% will become 0%

I know there was a similar incident on here relating to some of the members on here and it was dealt with a caution rather than handing photos over to the Police. I cant remember the facts but I do remember that Paul Humphreys being involved in this decision so I would contact him. If you know this group is experienced and knew exactly what they were doing then I would be inclined to notify the police but if they were inexperienced then a caution would be in order. But how would you contact the?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Come on Rob, everyone knows they should not go off piste. that's not inexperience, its thoughtless and selfish moronism and should be dealt with as such. It doesnt need a debate or a conference.

nice trip report mate, but we need some pics! :thumbup:

regarding the off piste driving...............................................

from what i remember the members from this club who had accidentally gone off piste on strata, had done so in the river crossings, which ok is wrong, but it was a mistake. where as driving off piste in some of the marshy/boggy areas running next to the lane, is simply not excusable, as it is clearly off piste. even more so since all the signs were put up. the amount of damage that has been done to the land surrounding the lane in places is disgusting. :evil:

you said you saw insa turbo tracks in the off piste areas, then photographed them messing around in the river.

i say send the pics to the police and report them. :evil:

These guys can't exactly claim inexperience. Their vehicles had all been modified to a degree, none were new to off roading although one or two may have been new to green laning. The chap we spoke to most at the bridge was talking about his previous runs down Strata and was quick to proclaim that he and another driver there were members of the local 4x4Response. I'll have a look at the pics this morning and see what I can do.

Jim.

SimonD said:
agree. police. these clowns ruin it for the rest of us. 2% will become 0%
I have to agree.
The remaining available green lanes are few enough, without these muppets trying to show how macho their vehicles are.
There are plenty of pay and play sites for that muppetry.

Off to the cop shop with the images.

G.

mike54 said:
Come on Rob, everyone knows they should not go off piste. that's not inexperience, its thoughtless and selfish moronism and should be dealt with as such. It doesnt need a debate or a conference.
Everyone who has been green lanning should know this but for the newbies that see a used track next to a lane it may not be so obvious especially when they do not know what the implications can be, education will work better than punishment in that case IMO. Also mistakes can be made but I do agree that it is difficult to this as a mistake when there are signs everywhere.

Before you accuse someone you should always evaluate the facts and circumstance.

As the local 4x4 response group was mentioned in conversation, then perhaps a call to the Chairperson of that group could be made to confirm if the reg number/s are members.

If so, then photos submitted could allow the response group to self police this action on this occasion as this would not help their reputation. I would imagine that there will be members who would have a strong view on this behaviour?

Back