Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Respraying a BJ45 from white to beige 416 (see picture) - colour search

Hi Adrian that is not good get well seen how have you dun that get the colour on the Cruiser
From Tony.:sleeping-sleep:

Morning tony

Are you at the overland show at Stratford this weekend?

Adrian

Hoping the BJ45 will be ready to drive on Friday. Thought I might bring it to Lincomb on Saturday for the day. What is the procedure, are you going? Adrian

Hi Adrian yes I will be going to Lincomb on Saturday at 11.00 A.M. .?? it will be good
To see you and the cruiser in it's new Colour on Saturday it will be good look taking
And driving Cool cruisers hope to see you at Lincomb in that cool bj45 a big :thumbup:
Good look. Tony.

Will try to make it around 11am - do I just turn up or need to ask anyone's permission or pay. What's the drill?

adrian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Restoration Nearly complete (see photos)

Yesterday we managed to drive the BJ45 out of the garage following a full body repair and respray.

Thanks to Geof and his team in the spray shop at Three Corners Garage in Ambrosden Oxfordshire, they have done a great job over the last few weeks.

Photos to follow.

Land_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 .jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416_2.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416-3.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-4.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-5.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-6.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416_-7.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-8.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-9.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-10.jpgLand_Cruiser_BJ_45_Beige_416 _-11.jpg

Her first outing was at Lincomb yesterday. Thanks to Tony, Andy and all others for making us feel welcome, we had a great day.

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi Adrian it was good to see you and the good lady and the Cruiser looks so cool in the new colour big Thanks. For letting me have a go in it I love the old 40's hope you will come and see my and the boysIn May 2015 good look with the cruiser thanks a lot Tony.

That's just bootiful!

Great colour and a really professional job there Adrian :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliment.Working with Land Cruiser Owners Club members who helped me with parts and advice, suppliers from abroad and the team at Three Corners Garage has been a long and enjoyable process.I'd do it again I think.Adrian

Hi there Adrian

you seem to have done a really good job,,,if you want to do it again i have a few HJs and FJs that need love

Giles

Morning Giles,

Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have a quarter light window catch, I need one for right hand door (LHD passenger side)?

IMG_1604.jpgIMG_1605.jpg

Also a wiring cover for the back door?

IMG_1608.jpg

Please let me know

Thanks

Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 229
Hi there mate

no as i tend to sell doors complete, but pretty sure I can get them just might take a few weeks.

Giles

Okay, let me know if you find one. I'll keep looking elsewhere in the meantime.ThanksAdrian

Moggy,

Thanks for the compliment. I must say Beige 416 seems to be a classic colour and looks really smart

Adrian

Some colour info on 416 Dune Beige

We are well underway renovating a BJ45 (see the picture) and about to respray. People have been very helpful with finding parts etc. - thank you all.

I'd like to spray it Toyota Beige 416 (it was white).

Can anyone now let me know where the paint colour can be sourced or how we can get a swatch to colour match?

Any help or experience in this area would be most welcome.

Many thanks
Adrian

07 919073171

I might as well leave a bit of info about the early Toyotabeige, not that it’s all that relevant to the current job at hand, I’m guessingit would have been painted by now.
I worked for about 27 years in the auto paint industrysupplying car colours and it is difficult getting colours to mix up to theformula and to match the original at times even for me.
I have an FJ45, (10[SUP]th[/SUP] month 1978mod) with 416dune beige as the original colour, have had it since about 1984 and I had to dosome searching to find a matching colour when I re-painted it the first time, I’vesince screwed the colour up in a few places doing mudguards and sills again, asthe original brand of paint I used wasn’t available the next time. It’sclose-ish but not quite the same.
I guess I’ll do a complete re-paint at some point and thenit’ll all be the same everywhere.
I did do quite a bit of research within the availableinformation in the auto paint records on the evolvement of the colours on theseries at the time to try to nut out what went on with 416 dune beige as allthe trucks weren’t the same through the 70’s and early 80’s even though thebeige ones all had the same paint code number.
In Japan there were, and probably still are 6 paintcompanies all submitting quotes to Toyota and other manufacturers for the nextbatch of paint, and the next model run might have brand x paint while the lastmodel run had brand y, and Toyota didn’t much care if the x paint brand versionwasn’t exactly the same as y, as long as the outside of the vehicle colour wasthe same all over. It was like that for all commercial vehicles apparently, orso I was reliably informed at the time. I did a couple of accidental rubthrough areas using a fine 3M sponge pad on the inside of doors (under the doortrim) while prepping (very thin paint there) and I uncovered the previous dunebeige under the current one on my truck. It looked like they had a whole bunchof door shells left over from the previous model run and just skimmed them withthe new colour for the next model. The original paint type was a kind of poly-acrathane,(acrylic modified urethane) it can be re-coated with Dulon, Autothane or 2K aftera rubdown and undercoated with a good suitable undercoat.
I prefer to use an epoxy undercoat (Jotun 605) myself, butyou only have a couple of days before applying the topcoat, otherwise the epoxydries so hard that after that time nothing will stick to it and you have to keyit, very hard work then.
Anyway back to the colours, 416 in the 70-73 model was abeige with a grey-ish tone, the 74-77 model was a similar beige but with aslightly more greenish tone and from 77 through to about 82 it was moreyellowish. I think there was also a choice of 464 beige at about the 80 markand then in about 84 (I think from memory) the beige became 4E9.

I had to search through three different brands of paint anddo spray outs to find one that would be the closest to my vehicle.
Regal CIA had the one that was the closest, (they had allthree versions in their list) but alas the dealer I worked for stopped supplyingthat particular brand not long afterwards, so the next time I needed some 416 Ihad to try to match it in Autothane with so so results.
The roof and radiator grille colour is one that wasdifficult to find as it’s not on the body ID tag, luckily I had access to someold colour books and was able to positively id it.
Some people just use Toyota 045 and that is good enough, butit’s not the correct colour, if you want the correct colour its Marble WhiteToyota code 013 and it mixes up perfectly true to colour in Autothane shade no.13279, (Dulux shade number) or at least it did when I last mixed it up.
Autothane is now made and supplied by PPG, having purchasedthe Dulux automotive division.
Hope this helps
Greg
I'm not sure if I can get the hang of adding images for the first time here, I thought I'd add a pic of the old rocket, if I can that is.
PICT2591.jpg

I didn't notice there was a page 2 to this thread before I posted, the paint job looks very nice and the colour looks good too.

Last edited:
I should have looked before I leaped

WOW:clap:, encyclopedic!

great info:thumbup:

Thanks moggy1968, I was trying to do two things at the sametime when I was writing that post (typed it up in Word which didn’t copy/pastevery well, some spaces between words vanished in the process) and didn’t notice that the OP was in the UK, and there was merabbiting on with OZ relevant info,:icon-rolleyes: you probably won’t find Autothane overthere (I think it is there but under a different name perhaps) but the rest ofthe info should be ok…I hope.
Greg

Hi Adrian.
Looks good.
I've got a HJ47 troopy that I need to get the roof and sides off.
As you've obviously taken yours off I was wondering if you can give me an estimation of the weights of the panels.
Regards
Tony

Back