Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restoration body shop repair

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys finally given the old girl in for a body shop repair & paint. Will post more pictures accordingly.

First day with her ........hot wash under & over.

88429df039537050d8eba72a6a510d6b.jpg
c172b970a21bfc232504766fed1ce35f.jpg

Firstly as the vehicle is being dissembled was asked to get these side fender flare rubber seals. Any ideas on where these are sold?
87c55d54e3237ff7057b563541b5247f.jpg
eca1f7ee4b72302b879ef2f25ce05a38.jpg

Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mr T sells them, but I can't assist with part numbers or a price other than a sharp intake of breath....

There can't be many 80's in Cyprus, we saw a green one in Larnaka parked in a hotel carpark on the edge of the beach but it was the only 80 I saw. Quite a few Collies/Prado's though

Not so many 80's around anywhere now Andy especially in Cyprus.
I bought some seals on eBay sometime ago & whilst showing the body shop guy we both at first glance didn't see how or if they are suitable. These pictures are the same off the net and show ones I've bought. [emoji849]
c624b1871d5a4adab58da4999cd7e010.jpg
a070719414119c0993ac26b6b8bf583c.jpg

I will revisit & see where it leads me for now. Thanks Clive / Carrot for your input & help [emoji4]

This journey has only started [emoji23]

After having the truck re-sprayed, I lashed out a small fortune on a full set of Mr T arches, the rubbers, all fixing brackets, mounting studs, mud flaps, the lot.

Didn't keep the invoice, too incriminating to leave something like that around for the missus to find... :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hear ya load & clear Clive. I know how one thing leads to another & the money piles up with the jobs [emoji23]
Fenders are just right for the stock wheels. I like them original from aftermarket ones as they are strong & sturdy.

I have the part numbers for the fronts in the shed.

Part numbers would be great to have to hand Chapel when you get a chance. [emoji6]

Today parts continue to be taken off and a closer inspection can be seen of the body.

0c658a2232abe97b634fcc2651d8d66b.jpg
43f8105862d89e5df305aaf164dd206c.jpg
fad3a10da85408aa03bf1166ca12c832.jpg

Rear glass surround worse than I thought with one side rear window rusted bottom ends. Rust over a few over places will need to be cut out and repaired.

The front windscreen rubbers had to be cut out due to hardening. No worries as I have bought new rubbers all round. [emoji12]

With the change of colour in mind everything is being striped. [emoji847]

Part numbers would be great to have to hand Chapel when you get a chance. [emoji6]

Today parts continue to be taken off and a closer inspection can be seen of the body.

Rear glass surround worse than I thought with one side rear window rusted bottom ends. Rust over a few over places will need to be cut out and repaired.

The front windscreen rubbers had to be cut out due to hardening. No worries as I have bought new rubbers all round. [emoji12]

With the change of colour in mind everything is being striped. [emoji847]

What color do you have in mind then?

I was happy with that blue so the painters matched it as best they could, worked out well TBH.

Will you be re-spraying the interior too? That will make it a bigger job than mine was.

Currently it being a split black / gold look doesn't float my boat since I bought the beast [emoji849]
It's been 5 years in the making to get this cruiser fixed to new standards underneath & rebuilding the engine / gearbox.
Here is Cyprus the weather hot and more desert like so a lighter colour deems better to live with. So I've finally set my heart on the pictures below having found & researched over much time.
c7bf58361dc2e0cc4bd75c410c37d533.jpg
eb56c53b672c04f2a737dd5847b996e7.jpg
17ee14dfa3efe51010a9748d246f27a6.jpg
6e7f8984139ae96b4c2697bb521eddfa.jpg

This is a plan at least for now. Next week I'll know more as I'm still got to take the interior front seats out for cushion retrim & clean / wash for the carpets. [emoji30]

Only planning exterior / door seals.
Leaving out engine bay as black and interior carpeted areas. Just not worth the trouble & expense.

Did want to put down more sound deadening but due to costs that's having be skipped. [emoji848]

Last edited:
Starting stripping the interior today with front two seats bottom end cushions given to be refurbished. Carpets yet to come out. Became stuck with time & two bolts that seem odd to free the rear seats. Any ideas on these guys? [emoji848]
d79a9bde1e5fce7ec524c3f333fb00b1.jpg
3169809302badca336c6f7366813b95f.jpg
44c9ddca5ac11e888bae642d45736ca0.jpg

The rears have two standard bolts left & right with the two centered ones being illustrated in the front two pictures. [emoji849]

With luck, they shouldn't be too tight. I undid mine with either pliers or a sharp screwdriver and tapping with a hammer. I cut a slot in them before putting them back.

Yeah that's what I thought too only wondering what was Toyota thinking? [emoji848]

My rear seats had normal bolts.

Only scanned through so may have missed the answer? The rubber moulding between the arch and body, is apparently quite expensive and each one has a different number . There is another IIRC from a thread I read that there is a company (may have been Toyota) that sells the moulding by the yard for another vehicle.

May have been on MUD but not sure? When I have had my enforced Siesta..........WOMEN! I will have a search for it.

regards

Dave

I hated seeing my truck all stripped of trim. I was very nervous that the guy wouldn't get everything back on ok and get all the glass back in without leaks.

He did fine actually, even using the old original rubbers.

image.jpeg

I think I would have been more nervous about getting carbon monoxide poisoning from his gas heater [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]WTF!!!!

Last edited:
I think the arch rubbers for my 90 were about £25 each from mrT extortion for what they are but not megabucks . Did someone who put arches on a white 80 that had none find an alternative on here a while back ?

It's seems the vehicle will need new rubber fender seals as the ones I have worked out to be non usable.
All options on cost and availability welcome at this point [emoji106]
Would be much appreciated Dave.

Shayne can you kindly share details of mrT for an enquiry?

Nice truck & colour Clive. I'm nervous too trying not to think of all the parts coming off right now. Big jigsaw puzzle [emoji849]
Is your truck all finished be good to see the final photo? [emoji3]

Back