Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restoration body shop repair

A much needed wash today and new government issued number plates.....were moving up in the world.lol :lol:

P.S the right drivers tail light changed over as the Led version been playing up lately. Those bloody LEDS look great but unreliable after 5 years. :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_6287.jpg IMG_6286.jpg

Guys been a busy 3-4 days in the garage.

Firstly a leaking faulty steering pump was the first of the many tasks set about to remedy.
New seals were preordered and a second steering box was used for interchangeable spares to better perfect each section to original best . 33 bearings were noted for internals and 11 outside in the U metal cover.
One section at a time the box was put together. One issue remained and this was the electrical valve on mine was faulty. Upon taking it a part wasn't the easiest to work out the fault although a current was not the issue.

With another 80 series in the garage and conformation of the steering being soft and good this one was borrowed to fit on mine and this made it all the difference. The steering became soft as butter for the first time ever in my ownership.

Whilst driving in the past avoiding turns and corners was the way of thinking and now the opposite is a joy.

1525863024363_bulletin.jpeg

Another ongoing issue noticed was engine oil leaking for many a time. Turned out after a good clean to be from the steering pump gasket. This a simpler fix is tomorrows job.

Also a fuel leak from the 6th injector made the car vibrate upon a standstill in the drive gear. Tightening didn't help so a small copper washer was added with grease to the end tip of the injector line, then upon tightening fuel leak stopped and vibration free.

Guys been a busy 3-4 days in the garage.

Firstly a leaking faulty steering pump was the first of the many tasks set about to remedy.
New seals were preordered and a second steering box was used for interchangeable spares to better perfect each section to original best . 33 bearings were noted for internals and 11 outside in the U metal cover.
One section at a time the box was put together. One issue remained and this was the electrical valve on mine was faulty. Upon taking it a part wasn't the easiest to work out the fault although a current was not the issue.

With another 80 series in the garage and conformation of the steering being soft and good this one was borrowed to fit on mine and this made it all the difference. The steering became soft as butter for the first time ever in my ownership.

Whilst driving in the past avoiding turns and corners was the way of thinking and now the opposite is a joy.

View attachment 145947
Id be wary of avoiding turns and corners dervis. Could quite easily lead to a mishap...:)

Today started to fit new OEM Febest rear suspension bushes and take out the horrible silicone ones that are hard on the ride. Hopefully tomorrow can finish this to move onto the next thing on the list.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You'll be an expert soon Dervis.

Not sure about that Frank just learning as I go and appreciating the work in progress.

Today almost done with the replacement bushes. Learnt how to use the 60 ton press and the differculty level of changing the bushes over.

Had one bolt that’s stuck on the rear drivers side wheel and so will have to take the wheel of to hopefully bang out tommorrow.

Looking forward to finishing up and trying out the new ride.

Thanks

9C3BB1C5-6A72-43C0-91C2-C6294B1C8AA6.jpeg

Reactions: uHu
Guys finally finished of the bushes today with the last bolt at the rear drivers side sway bar being stuck. With the help of a friend had to use a grinder and heavy mallet to smash it out. Unfortunately it was that stuck and jammed doing so pushed the metal out so in the end had a extra job of welding and correction before replacing back with the new bushes.

Driving the vehicle home got to say the vehicle felt more premium and the horrible harsh ride is thankfully gone. :thumbup:

Guys driving around i'm enjoying the new softer more forving suspension. I have the unchanged OME caster correction bushes in the front arms and not sure what there made of but can't see any flex and TBH I'm thinking of changing these over too for the rubber alternatives.

Wondering how much difference these would make anyone else have any experience on this?

Thanks

51ZAUIDfRzL._SY450_.jpg

IMO they’re not good for articulation, and they’re a bit too firm for my liking.

I ran them for about 8 years and they were still good when I changed them back to OEM.

Again IMO, correction plates is the way to go, using OEM bushes.

IMO they’re not good for articulation, and they’re a bit too firm for my liking.

I ran them for about 8 years and they were still good when I changed them back to OEM.

Again IMO, correction plates is the way to go, using OEM bushes.

Yes I agree Clive. I’ve ordered a set of OEM ones now for a quick change over in the next few weeks should see and feel the difference for sure.

Thanks

Yes I agree Clive. I’ve ordered a set of OEM ones now for a quick change over in the next few weeks should see and feel the difference for sure.

Thanks

Bloody pricey though, not for changing too often...

Guys after many months finally arrived was the roof top tent, roof rails and the Batwing Awning by ship. At the shippers Geoff and Tony thankfully spared their time in helping to put it on th vehicle in the yard. Wasn’t the easiest having not done it before in the heat.

Unfortunately didn’t start well the shippers with the original bubble wrap that I worked so hard on was removed and a plastic Dustin liner cover was reused instead most likely somewhere from the UK to Cyprus ports / customs.

Just a sample of the few scratches shown in the pictures to otherwise a great condition Roof tent in the safari colour that suited the truck.
Sadly the whole paintwork with fiber glass damage will need repair and a new paint job!!

90F4AF50-372F-446D-B8ED-2AFA5D0B9619.png A6EA60FE-A3C0-4C8D-9EF8-A5301405C647.jpeg C351D941-AE74-4953-BAED-FA82FBA35F31.jpeg EEF223AC-527E-4476-B0BF-66863190A5DC.jpeg 23FE86F6-460F-403B-A428-E6E92C52E52C.jpeg

The next thing noticed although not fitted as the brackets needed modification to fit the front runner roof rails was the Batwing Awning. Out of the box these the end cover was damaged and the to the internal knuckle metal bends the paint scrated off. Sadly the quality control just didn’t seem there as they look like that have been stacked vertically bizarrely to put enough pressure in digging the ends out and through.

69071E0C-5AFA-444C-B6DE-1CA63581466A.jpeg CD2836E6-9A6A-492E-94EE-62C43E7A4464.jpeg 685FFE37-093A-425A-A8F7-B3A6159335DE.jpeg

Preceding on Geoff and Tony helped grateful to fit the roof tent on to get it home where the awning would later be looked at to fit under better conditions.

D2738E5E-A511-4107-B426-3D61C138589D.jpeg

Roof runner custom 1475 roof rails used from Andrew (thanks) for the Medium roof top tent. The brackets to attach to the roof rails fitted but had to modify my the bolt sleeves down to slide through the rail itself.

F9F5609F-2814-41E9-A1F3-8652AF9ECBD6.jpeg BF879D4B-5EA5-4BF2-9701-7CBC095BB15B.jpeg 1EF2995D-0D9F-4E19-8588-EA7B46534D0D.jpeg E2BC3836-B444-4C3D-9B23-5C197022F12A.jpeg

Guys with Tony’s many hours of help outside his house was fiddling and helping me adjust the roof tent, fitting the awning to this being the current set up for now.

The awning being on the right hand side and having the handle to open up the Roof tent was a concern.

I’ve made a part for a ratchet to use instead making more room available and so looking to modify the awning to be in more toward the bodyline. Looking at 3-4 cem’s if I can do it to be more flush with the wind deflectors today.

903453BC-7410-484C-8E47-08C04F04E665.jpeg F61E9C46-1A4D-4EBE-8620-EAEFF8861863.jpeg 636EDEDF-6EBE-4497-8BB7-8D51AE21CEF0.jpeg

I forwarded my complaint to the UK shippers and hope to hear some recourse for the damage. Spoke to the Bodyshop too and they have quoted me €200 for the repair and paint. Something I’ll look at doing eventually now.

Back