Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Retired my Toyota from overlanding

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I haven’t admitted it until now but Getting soft in old age, and Hilux getting older.
So got a VW grand California 680 4motion, 4x4 van last year, specced a rear difflock on it too .

It’s no where near as capable as Hilux, too long and not enough ground clearance.
But has been great for trips in UK and abroad, nice to have space out of elements and diesel heating and a bog ! Returning about 26mpg and got all-season tyres on it, much better than the factory slicks. Drives much better than white boxy campers

Had it on slippy farm tracks, tight corners an issue, and used the rear difflock a few times.
Removed factory step as it was too vulnerable to being trashed on lumpy ground.

Still got the Hilux, at 10yrs old rust is causing issues (not as well built as the 80 series..)
Replaced power steering pipes in spring, rusted hole in them
And now engine sump appears to have leak from rust….
Missing the tricky trails in Alps etc though

IMG_7863.jpeg

I can definitely see a time in years to come when we'll be wanting to have some indoor space when we travel. I love being outside all the time in the 105, but it's pretty miserable when cold or wet.

How about some photos of the inside of the van?

Do you sleep long ways or cross ways on the rear bed ? Most of the Merc / VW conversions seem to need a bulge on the rear to allow cross ways sleeping .
Looks just the job.... it comes to us all....made me smile at the front seats with doggie blankets on them.... our camper looks exactly the same when away...the dogs love the front seats .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you sleep long ways or cross ways on the rear bed ? Most of the Merc / VW conversions seem to need a bulge on the rear to allow cross ways sleeping .
Looks just the job.... it comes to us all....made me smile at the front seats with doggie blankets on them.... our camper looks exactly the same when away...the dogs love the front seats .
Sleep long ways - that’s why we got the 6.8m version not the 6m. The 6m is sideways and side pods. Also couldn’t get 4x4 in 6m version
This is a VW factory build.
The wife had enough of living outside camping and rooftent after last trip to Alps in 2022 when we had a few particularly cold, wet and windy days. The foxwing and side panels were great but it was still cold. And she was a bit unwell so wanted a loo !
Means we can now do trips out of season in comfort, we did 3 weeks in France - Brittany and Loire in October last year.
What camper do you have ?

Reactions: Raj
LOL - I'm back to thinking about selling the Sprinter 4x4 and building up my Hilux. Funny old world...

Fair play to you , the mrs suffered a similar kind of illness on a trip to France which ended up being , because we missed the ferry at Roscoff , a 24 hour mad dash drive home stopping at every service station along the way . An awful experience for her which resulted in some kind of phobia which she refuses to give in to but nevertheless it puts a dark cloud over her enthusiasm for trips .

Your very first pic makes me yearn to get out , no place in particular just out to fire up the BBQ .

Shayne, stick your name down for the Weekender in August then, ps I remember granny Helen held on for quite some time in Romania :)

Back