Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Returning to the Land of Cruiser from Midwest US

120mm

Country Flag
germany
Hello! I am currently located in central Iowa, USA, (the land of rust) and am a long term Land Cruiser user from my job as a researcher. I have finally come to the point in my life where I NEED a Land Cruiser in my life again, having given up my N/A diesel Type 76 in 2012, which was my faithful companion throughout much of SW Asia.

land cruiser.jpg

My plan is to visit friends and family in the American SW, mainly in the DFW and Phoenix area, find a running Land Cruiser and drive it back to Iowa. I am looking for a newer FJ60 or an older FJ80 in the $3k range, and am willing to accept ick, as long as the body is rust free. I see it as an adventure, and am prepared to break down, fix it, and keep moving if necessary. Any and all advice is welcome. I look forward to reading through the forum and learning lots.

Good intro 120mm, welcome to the forum !

It will be interesting to see what you find, I know what I'd prefer...:whistle:

The 76 was a nice looking truck...

While the 76 without supercharger was a gutless wonder, here in the US, good diesel rigs are made of unobtainium. And no 70-series at all :(

Part of my wants the polish of the 80, but I was raised on a farm and the 60 really inspires the tractor mechanic in me. Of course, I wouldn't turn down a 40 or a 55, but those are $$$ to find a complete, running one here.

So far I've found 2 60s and 3-4 80s in the Phoenix area in my price range.

That 76 looks like it has "interesting" windows...

There are some 80 series around, I know of a couple of guys who are based in the States who have them; have you got one of the Craigslist search aggregators to find one?

Good luck, and welcome!

Ah, you caught that. Believe it or not, the company paying my salary would not indemnify me working where I did unless the car had those "interesting" windows. Which was just stupid, if you actually think that through. And yep, I found an extremely nice 96 with a duff transfer case in Phoenix. as well as some less than nice 80s and a few doddering 60s that need some work.

Well, the verdict is in, and my next land cruiser is a Series 80!!! It's going to the shop tomorrow, where it will get a transfer case and rear main seal replaced. (I really got a screaming deal on it, since it had warts and needed fixing). It's the first time I've ever bought a car, blind, but I had the assistance of a top notch Land Cruiser mechanic in the Phoenix area, and my friend, who used her feminine wiles to really beat the seller down on price.

I fly to Phoenix and pick it up on Saturday morning. From there, I am heading out to San Diego, back to Phoenix, through Dallas and back to sunny, sub-zero F Iowa! I'm going to try to blog my journey, and you can read about it here:

https://hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com/

And here are some pics:

41247873543.388580855.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x318.jpg

41247873547.388580855.IM1.05.565x421_A.565x318.jpg

I absolutely loathe the color, btw, and a respray will be in order once the weather warms up around here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:thumbup: Well done!

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the colour, but it is a personal thing...

That looks like silver over grey and looks like it has brown cloth interior.
All in all it looks quite smart.
Belated welcome to the club and look forward to hearing more of your adventures.

That looks like silver over grey and looks like it has brown cloth interior.
All in all it looks quite smart.
Belated welcome to the club and look forward to hearing more of your adventures.

The interior is actually the light brown leather, with a really viciously abused driver's seat that needs replaced/repaired.

41247873552.388580855.IM1.10.565x421_A.565x318.jpg

But I don't mind the project. It'll be fun and get me more invested in the vehicle.

Speaking of Land Cruiser adventures, here's a little story about my Type 76 I'm rather proud of:

https://hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/magic-carpet-ride/

Very nice blog Drew, enjoyed the read.

9,500 lbs and 2.4l don't really fit together well, do they? I see your problem :lol:

Still, LC's have earned your respect, or is it vice-versa? Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 80 even though you don't like the colour!

My sister-in-law has spent a couple of years in Kabul, but as a world bank employee, she was compound bound and rarely got out to see the country. But her description of the traffic in Kabul is identical to yours, but I don't think her driver did much Kamaz ramming! Maybe he has a lot to learn, still :lol:

Keep it commin' I'll be visiting the blog again for a bit more entertainment.

Thanks...

(PS I'm not much of a Green Day fan either...)

:lol: great stuff wish i could get away with an encouraging nudge now and then , mind you most taxi's around my way have learnt to recognise my truck as a signal to stop bullying :icon-wink:

Very nice blog Drew, enjoyed the read.

9,500 lbs and 2.4l don't really fit together well, do they? I see your problem :lol:

Still, LC's have earned your respect, or is it vice-versa? Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 80 even though you don't like the colour!

My sister-in-law has spent a couple of years in Kabul, but as a world bank employee, she was compound bound and rarely got out to see the country. But her description of the traffic in Kabul is identical to yours, but I don't think her driver did much Kamaz ramming! Maybe he has a lot to learn, still :lol:

Keep it commin' I'll be visiting the blog again for a bit more entertainment.

Thanks...

(PS I'm not much of a Green Day fan either...)

Too right! I think that 2.4L would be an extremely competent mill in a small jeep-like vehicle. Just not an up-armored Type 76. I've heard great things about the 1FRZ-FE, though, and I know it will have a husky structure.

:lol: great stuff wish i could get away with an encouraging nudge now and then , mind you most taxi's around my way have learnt to recognise my truck as a signal to stop bullying :icon-wink:

The key to Kamaz ramming is to get them at low speed, and squarely on that rear wheel, so you are kissing tire. The noise is outrageously loud.

I am packing my bag and getting ready for my journey. I already have some off-roading scheduled along the way, as well as a big game hunt scheduled in Texas. I'm also meeting some lovelies and will try to work them in somehow for the horn dogs on the board. ;)

2.4L? The 2.4L that was fitted to the 70 series trucks in the UK was a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine, which has a reputation for being no ball of fire to drive. I would have expected the 6 cylinder normally aspirated engine in your 76 series to be the 4.2L, which is very reliable and dependable, bit with double its weight in armour it will have been a slog to drive (as you describe in your blog). Still a nice truck thought, and one that many wouldn't mind on their drive, for its capability and rugged simplicity.

I reckon you'll enjoy your progression to a FZJ80 series, the 4.5L and auto transmission is a nice combination to drive. I look forward to seeing how you get on. Enjoy!

Well, I got the rig home, and am deliriously happy to be wrenching on it in my own garage, though the sub zero weather can go F- I mean, Fly a kite.

News update: I recently lost my job and am traveling to Germany to attempt to get work there, at a place where I was once employed. They like me, I like them, and am thinking about maintaining a Euro and US household.

Sooo.... In a couple months I just may be looking for something in diesel....

Wow Drew, that's grim, but they do have petrol in Europe too, you know :whistle:

Yes to petrol in Europe, but I've always wanted a turbo-diesel Land Cruiser of my own. And those are much more plentiful in Europe than in America. I'm boarding my plane in a couple hours to fly to Munich and am excited to see if I can parlay this part time job into something more permanent.

Back