Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Richard Hammond reveals the new Land Rover Defender

It's manufacture is 100% eu.

Apparently it's the image that they don't want to.do double cab market.

I do expect to see the 110 or and 130 to be available as a double cab

Even Mercedes are doing a double cab (albeit a Nissan in MB clothes), so no reason IMHO for JLR to shy away from that "image".

I like the shape, and the interior, but not the 85 ecu thing. I mean, they are probably fine and will go the distance. It's just that the distance is going to be a lot shorter. Aka the LandCruiser we get these days in the UK.

I know there is the price thing, but the full kitted out 110 defender is still cheaper than the entry level invincible. It's even cheaper than the similarly specified 'Active' or 'Icon'.

Makes the 48k for the Ranger Raptor look like a smart move.

If Suzuki didn't have their emission quota getting in the way, they'd be minting it. But as it stands they can only sell a handful Jimmy a year if they want to keep selling their range of small cars.

Hilux anyone :)

I would have thought the ecu is because it's using the canbus system

I think my old Jimny is great. I always take it in preference to the 120 if I'm travelling less than 30 miles, I'm not towing, and I don't need to carry any more than a bag of dog food. But the only reason you're going to buy one if you don't need decent off-road ability (and almost no one does) is for the "cheeky looks". I've had a go in a new one, only for a few miles. It's also great. But still feels very basic, rattly and has terrible fuel consumption for a little car. If I needed to replace the one I have it would be top of my list. But I can't help think it's still super niche and there's no market to clean up with it. Dacia has the cheap, useful off road ability market sewn up, it's just we don't really have that market in the UK.

Likewise the old Defender. Even when they were still making them there were fewer and fewer in the livestock market car parks. Jap pickups don't have half the offroad ability, but almost no one uses them seriously offroad. Famers use quad bikes and tractors. The only thing that got any numbers in sales was the 3.5 ton towing ability, and the pickups have finally caught up there too. I think Tata are pretty shrewd in working out what they can make the biggest profit on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm saving my time by cutting and pasting this from a comment I left in the Expedition Portal thread on it...

Interesting interview with Gerry McGovern from Autocar: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...efender-designer-gerry-mcgovern-reviving-icon

Two quotes to take home:
1)
“This is a business and the old Defender, at the end of its life, was a niche vehicle. Take out corporate sales and it had around 4500 retail customers a year. That is not sustainable. This car needs to have universal appeal."​
2)
“My hope is they say it’s right for the brand today. Yes, lots of current owners will keep their current cars forever – but to be brutally business-like about it, there’s not much point designing a car for them in that case, is there?"
So from those two it is fair to say that the old niche market was not profitable, and that a long lasting (I've seen people mention 25 years) product was not going to be the case - it's an unsustainable business model really.

All the most profitable best selling cars ever were built to budget mechanically basic and so simple to fix many of them are still on the road today .

There is a huge market for more of the same .

All the most profitable best selling cars ever were built to budget mechanically basic and so simple to fix many of them are still on the road today .

There is a huge market for more of the same .

If only the world's motor manufacturers had sophisticated enough market analysis to realise this.

I thought this was quite an interesting list of the most profitable cars of "modern times". https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/anything-goes/10-most-profitable-cars-modern-times
Big American pickups (basic), premium German saloons, and high volume Japanese saloons (including the Lexus RX). And the really high profit per vehicle cars, the Porsche 911 and Range Rover Sport.

£40k+!!!!!!
It’s not a utility vehicle. It has no separate chassis, therefore difficult to modify, therefore it is not a worthy successor to the defender.
Landrover and electronics, two words that should never appear in the same sentence together.
At a time increased with driving and mobile phone use increasingly coming under the safety spotlight why are manufacturers installing increasingly distracting tablet style screens to operate even the most basic vehicle functions?
It’s a nice enough vehicle and has some great features but it’s not a defender.

Persevere and ignore some of the BS.

Last edited:
Sorry I must have missed something!!!! Thought this was A LANDCRUISER club.
it is, but this thread is titled:
"Richard Hammond reveals the new LANDROVER defender"...

it is also posted in the lounge. where "anything and everything goes"...

it is, but this thread is titled:
"Richard Hammond reveals the new LANDROVER defender"...

it is also posted in the lounge. where "anything and everything goes"...
Was only tongue in cheek. Im sat in Spain its pissing down i was bored. Still think its a pile of s**t tho.

Was only tongue in cheek. Im sat in Spain its pissing down i was bored. Still think its a pile of s**t tho.
lol.
hit the bar gav…

its actually growing on me.

might surprise us all.

Pondering it if i was a kid not knowing how it worked i'd probably think its ace , and how many 4x4's never leave tar

No real issue with the vehicle - its another LR product - TBH its the Defender name that is my issue - it's like slapping a Landcruiser badge on a Rav4. As discussed above, the Defender/Series vehicles were always meant to be robust and basic. This is not a Defender in anything but name. They'll still probably sell truck loads of them, of course...

Note no plate PBS think it stands for Pure Bull Shit

Hope the recovery points and diagnostic socket are well built.......

At least it’s got diff locks, so it’s LR’s first ever 4 wheel drive 4x4...

Back