Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Richard Hammond reveals the new Land Rover Defender

What were they thinking? Oh yes, of course. We'll sell thousands of these to people who will never press any of the buttons let alone know what they do. No one will buy one of these and take it into the wilderness. Certainly not whilst it's still under warranty. Come on kids, we're going to be late for school. It's almost a mile away so we need to get going.

“Elegant arrival mode”. I need that on my 80. The back end looks ‘orrible.
So is there a basic farmer’s/contractors version? I think it will make the old Defender more popular than ever.

Just another "SUV" aka Chelsea Tractor IMHO - a cynical marketing ploy from JLR using the "Defender" name.

I mean, starting from £45? C'mon.......get real. Probably sell like hot cakes....:laughing-rolling:

Too much tech for my liking too - would hate to have one outside the warranty period. :shock:

"It won't look like the DC100" I'm sure was mentioned at least once in the run up to the launch... nope, it looks exactly like a DC100...

Unfortunately, when you see what Suzuki managed to do with the Jimny, it's apparent that Land Rover missed the memo well and truly on how to reinvent an iconic vehicle.

Well that thing puts an end to military use its hateful to look at and 85 ECUs that is not going to be sqauddie proof

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"It won't look like the DC100" I'm sure was mentioned at least once in the run up to the launch... nope, it looks exactly like a DC100...

Unfortunately, when you see what Suzuki managed to do with the Jimny, it's apparent that Land Rover missed the memo well and truly on how to reinvent an iconic vehicle.

My thoughts exactly re the Defender vs the Jimny - the new Landy is nothing to do with the Series/Defender ranges, its simply a marketing name (like MG, for example). Its a "no" for me.

Well that thing puts an end to military use its hateful to look at and 85 ECUs that is not going to be sqauddie proof

I've got an Ex-Aus army motorbike here... there are a number of times as I work on it I find things that have been "squaddied". I had a great one where there were 3 holes for the puller to screw into for the stator, and those were bolted to the flywheel below as well... which meant they needed to be drilled out as it was bolted through both threads. I think they went on the "there was an empty hole, it must have a bolt in it" logic...

Yeah why don't they sell a basic version? My first LR was basic. Even the passenger side windscreen wiper was an extra. My best friend bought me one for my wedding present in 1970 as he was fed up of being frightened to death in the rain.

Doesn't matter how much testing they do, they can't replicate say 6 years of life.

One big plus of the old Series/defenders (and probably most other old tech 4x4’s) was the ease which which they could be modified. The new one is monocoque so that’s body lifts out, not to mention the electronic everything approach which now seems to be standard but if they sell well, are LR really bothered?

Hate to say it but compared to Toyotas only offering in the UK, on paper the new Defender has the 150 beat in most important areas as an off roader (except price and looks). Only other decent size offering in the UK is the G-wagon.

Still if you want some entertainment go and browse some Land Rover forums, half the owners of old defenders will give themselves heart attacks by the end of the day

Lovely lovely looking machine! I like how they kept the lineage on the front bumper of the silver one, very freelander. But wouldn't like to own one out of the warranty period and 85 ecu's makes me shriek!

Time will tell how good they actually are!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If it took them 3 years to design something that ugly, I am glad they didn't have any longer. Revolting design.

It actually sounds pretty handy on paper. more so than most of the modern competition.
I like it, but I don't like it as a replacement for the defender.

sure, make it the new discovery, and I know landrover employ far more clever and better payed people than me, but I cant help thinking they are missing a trick.
why havnt they turned the new defender into a vehicle to compete with the hilux, ranger and l200 etc?
single cab, double cab both with removable hardtops, tray backs for mounting impliments, a 9 seater such as the 110 and a soft top. all built on a ladder chassis that can be designed over a couple of pints down the pub.
pick ups are everywhere around here, farmers are increasingly turning to them, builders use them, the utility companies use defenders as do the military.
bring it up to current emission and safety standards, make it at least as capable as the defender throwing in front and rear lockers. redesign the interior making it more comfortable. not a difficult vehicle to design as all of the tech is tried and tested.

then make it look like a defender. not a carbon copy, but the way VW did with the beetle or BMW did with the mini.

I must be missing something...

Why would you want to compete with the double cab market when they start at 20k?

Its all about bottom line. The last of the defenders were costing the same to manufacture as a full range rover that sells for 100k.

They were talking about selling these at 60k so was good to see them start at 40k

Why would you want to compete with the double cab market when they start at 20k?

Its all about bottom line. The last of the defenders were costing the same to manufacture as a full range rover that sells for 100k.

They were talking about selling these at 60k so was good to see them start at 40k
if landrover cant make a modern competitively priced pick up there is something wrong with them.

defenders were so expensive to make because they were virtually hand built. often using machinery from the 50s.

This new thing isn't made in Solihull much to my surprise. Czech republic I think. Who knows, it might be the making of it. Another nail in the uk manufacturing industry though. Unless it's assembled here or something bizarre.

Pick ups are everywhere. Good point. What isn't there a LR pick up.

This new thing isn't made in Solihull much to my surprise. Czech republic I think. Who knows, it might be the making of it. Another nail in the uk manufacturing industry though. Unless it's assembled here or something bizarre.

Pick ups are everywhere. Good point. What isn't there a LR pick up.

Close, it's made in Slovakia.

Back