Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rim width

dave smith

Country Flag
england
Evening all I am trying to work out what the rim width is on my Collie (after market wheels)

there is no size or offset stamped or cast into the rim.
I have measured outside edge to outside edge at 9" the standard wheel measures 8". I know the standard alloy is a 7JJ so I am assuming that the others will be an 8JJ (they fill out the wheel arches with a standard size 265/70x16 tyre and the standard wheels dont.

so am I correct in guessing that they are an 8" rim? if they are then a set of 305/70x16 muds should go on ok with a bit of a lift obviously!

Regards Dave

I have a couple of new 16x8 wheels in my kitchen and your right they do measure 9 inch wide rim to rim . Its the offset as much as the extra width that fills the arches iirc standard wheels are a +32 and almost everyone opts for a zero offset instead when replacing them .

I have 285/75x16 on mine ..... with a bit of a lift

I had the 285 tyres on my old Collie R.I.P they filled the arches to about the same point with standard wheels and a 40mm body lift looked good too I want to send this one up a bit further but with suspension this time and 305s just to get the full 12.5" wide 315/75x 16 would be even better but the amount of chopping involved makes the job a tad tricky at a guess anyway if anyone knows any better feel free to enlighten me (so to speak) I was going to say fill me in but thats asking for trouble

As shayne has mentioned, off set it really the more important factor to work on for pushing the wheels outer, and having a general better looking truck. It'll sit on the road better with a wider stance. 0 offset is good, I was running -30 at one point with 285 rubber and they stuck out about 15mm. I would say stick with a 0 offset. Tyre choice will depend on rim width.

It's my understanding the width measurement should be taken between the two inner faces of the bead, which can be estimated close to the outer measurement of bead face to bead face (ignoring the "lip") which is rather difficult to do with the tyre on the rim.

Personally, I have a "thing" about running a 12" tread tyre (or a 305 in metric terms) on an 8" rim, although there seems to be a general acceptance that it's an OK thing to do.

For me, and I'm ready for anyone to disagree, I like the idea that the rim width should be as close to the tread width as possible. On low or lower profile tyres this is less critical, but when you're upwards of a 70 profile, the tendency for "side wag" and I'm sure there's a better technical term for it than that, is much greater. For this reason I'm running 305s on 10" wide rims where the difference is only 1" each side. This is because I don't like the idea of a 2" + width difference each side between the bead and the tread.

It's just my opinion of the application of simple physics, especially when on taller tyres especially with a profile of 80 or 85. I'm running 305/70/16s on 10" rims, and they're very stable with little or no "side wag" as I've called it. I'm even considering 315s at the next purchase, and I think Chris J ran 315s on 8" rims successfully, but I'm not sure of my facts there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's plenty of useful advice from tyre sites on the net as to what tyres are acceptable and safe on what rims. As far as the size of rims go, is there no mention of size on the inside of the spokes of the rim? Toyota ones are marked on the front but I have seen some other makes marked on the reverse. Just a thought.

It's my understanding the width measurement should be taken between the two inner faces of the bead, which can be estimated close to the outer measurement of bead face to bead face (ignoring the "lip") which is rather difficult to do with the tyre on the rim.

Personally, I have a "thing" about running a 12" tread tyre (or a 305 in metric terms) on an 8" rim, although there seems to be a general acceptance that it's an OK thing to do.

For me, and I'm ready for anyone to disagree, I like the idea that the rim width should be as close to the tread width as possible. On low or lower profile tyres this is less critical, but when you're upwards of a 70 profile, the tendency for "side wag" and I'm sure there's a better technical term for it than that, is much greater. For this reason I'm running 305s on 10" wide rims where the difference is only 1" each side. This is because I don't like the idea of a 2" + width difference each side between the bead and the tread.

It's just my opinion of the application of simple physics, especially when on taller tyres especially with a profile of 80 or 85. I'm running 305/70/16s on 10" rims, and they're very stable with little or no "side wag" as I've called it. I'm even considering 315s at the next purchase, and I think Chris J ran 315s on 8" rims successfully, but I'm not sure of my facts there.

In my experience when I was running the standard collie rims (7" width) with 275 tyres, it wasn't very stable at high speed corners and a bit scary under heavy breaking. Like you described the tyres flexed too much and the truck would wobble a little. When I moved to 305's on a 10" rim I was so pleased with the improved handling and all round drive ability. It was a different machine, totally planted! It's not that a 305 tyre won't work on a 8" rim but in my experience it would work a lot better on something wider.

Anyone know if 315's will fit on an 80 standard ally rim
Thanks

I took a wheel off last night and cleaned it inside and out alas no markings it does have a max load rating though oddly.

In my experience when I was running the standard collie rims (7" width) with 275 tyres, it wasn't very stable at high speed corners and a bit scary under heavy breaking. Like you described the tyres flexed too much and the truck would wobble a little. When I moved to 305's on a 10" rim I was so pleased with the improved handling and all round drive ability. It was a different machine, totally planted! It's not that a 305 tyre won't work on a 8" rim but in my experience it would work a lot better on something wider.

Good man Beau, you're the first to admit they agree with me!

It makes such a difference, I'm surprised nobody else has posted the same theory. It's not rocket science after all, and the more modern day trend of larger wheels and lower profile tyres (on asphalt) brings it home that stability on the road goes hand in hand with stability of the tyre in relation to the rim.

My 80 runs like its on rails, even at 3 tonnes, I can plough into bends and still pull out of them without so much as a squeal.

Good man Beau, you're the first to admit they agree with me!

It makes such a difference, I'm surprised nobody else has posted the same theory. It's not rocket science after all, and the more modern day trend of larger wheels and lower profile tyres (on asphalt) brings it home that stability on the road goes hand in hand with stability of the tyre in relation to the rim.

My 80 runs like its on rails, even at 3 tonnes, I can plough into bends and still pull out of them without so much as a squeal.

I can totally relate :lol::icon-rolleyes: Driving in Milton Keynes where there is a roundabout every 1/4 mile. When the roads are empty it can be surprisingly fun

Back