Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RJ70 Build Thread.

Time flies! Hope all is going well there. Love the pics from the camping trip, the weather here has turned nasty, but geared now up for some Cairngorms snow now after prepping the underside to get my through this winter before I do some proper chassis restoration/protection.

I bought a Vax pressure washer/steam cleaner and blasted the underside/chassis on mine from stem to stern before I went on a 4 hour return motorway trip to St Andrews on one of the last warm dry days we had this year, was pleasantly surprised how rust-free most everything was, then let it dry a few more days. I then sanded/wire brushed a few small spots, and used Bonda rust primer, the best stuff imo, then topcoated with Hammerite and then sprayed waxoyl on what I could, mainly wheel arches and frame rails.

It literally started raining and turned cold a few hours after I finished spraying the waxoyl, so glad to have protected it for this winter. I still want to drop the fuel tank and rear exhaust, and am getting a decent size air compressor and making a small blast cabinet from a large 110l plastic storage tub to start really cleaning and painting bits and bobs over the winter in my shed which I've finally cleaned and turned into a mini-workshop. Would love to lift the body off the chassis next year and really blast/clean everything and paint it properly with a bonda/chassis paint combo, so it doesn't look like my poor Suzuki Jimny in a few years!

On a 1UZFE note, I recently made a 220mile round-trip work journey up to Inverness taking backroads, and managed 25.2 mpg over the Cairngorms and several 20% grades, so amazed at fuel economy. My 1328cc Jimny with super-heavy 29"ATs retreads on 16x7 steels does the same or less and is painfully slow, and only manages 30mpg with road wheel/tyre combo over the same route, and is still considerably slower...

Anyway, I've written a book here! Catch you soon and all the best!

We like books RB, nice write-up. :thumbup:

I've realized I'm quite a lazy person, all these members sanding and sealing, I really must get to doing something with my truck, but I'm surprised how good the chassis looks after 21 years.

I've ordered a drain cleaning tube from eBay for my jet washer. I want to pull that backwards through the chassis rails to try to flush out any mud that's trapped in there.

It's got reverse angled spray jets so should do something.

Winter is upon us in a month or so, the frosts are just starting so I guess there'll be some salt going down in the not too distant future. Looking forward to some snow :icon-biggrin:

We like books RB, nice write-up. :thumbup:

I've realized I'm quite a lazy person, all these members sanding and sealing, I really must get to doing something with my truck, but I'm surprised how good the chassis looks after 21 years.

I've ordered a drain cleaning tube from eBay for my jet washer. I want to pull that backwards through the chassis rails to try to flush out any mud that's trapped in there.

It's got reverse angled spray jets so should do something.

Winter is upon us in a month or so, the frosts are just starting so I guess there'll be some salt going down in the not too distant future. Looking forward to some snow :icon-biggrin:

Let me know how you get on with the drain cleaning tube, I'll have to look into one of those perhaps. Haha, I strongly doubt you're lazy Clive, I'm probably still in my honeymoon phase with the LJ :hearteyes:. Speaking of internal chassis rails, my offside is still half-packed with (fortunately bone dry) dirt, whoever did that must have buried it up to the axles at some point. The rails are still rock solid and I've gouged away at what I can reach through access points, and need to give it a proper blast as well, which may entail removing bumpers. That's the last real problem area on mine beside dropping the fuel tank for a sand & paint. Never ends! I use mine for work, which is mainly in fields and muddy access tracks, nothing mega by offroad standards, so once I get all this sorted, it 'should' be good for many years with a little maintenance and cleaning from time to time. I didn't have any mudguards so bought some generic sparco mudflaps from Roughtrax, really helps save the lower paint. We've already had snow here over the Lecht. Happy snowwheeling!:)
_DSC8253_filtered (1600x1068).jpg

I've ordered this, but there's a wide variety available for different applications.

Nice photo, good to see some snow!

I'm ok with it. Lynn, bless her, winges like a wingey thing on whinge day as soon as it snows! It truly is non stop and totally out of character for her. I may need ear plugs! :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can already imagine in the event we have snow Helen's smug grin as she informs me she has a LANDCRUISER :lol:

The wedding went well and we had an amazing day! :romance-adore:

IMG_3423%20450%20x%20600_zpsyqlp3l43.jpg

Back to the RJ build.......................

A few weeks ago I did some more work on the rear bumper. :icon-cool:

I got some 2mm checker plate cut and folded.

IMG_2868_zps1h6dr280.jpg

IMG_2869_zpstzsht79g.jpg

Put a hole saw in the pillar drill and drilled a hole in each end of the checker plate.

IMG_2881_zps1bzzuq5y.jpg

IMG_2882_zpsa2xrc9gr.jpg

Cut back to the hole from both sides with the angle grinder.

IMG_2884_zps260jxnyg.jpg

I wanted to tack weld it in position next on top of the bumper.

IMG_2885_zpsv0htcd0k.jpg

IMG_2886_zpsbi2cdcy2.jpg

Had to remove one of the rear doors to allow me to get the checker plate into position.

IMG_2887_zpsn983obix.jpg

IMG_2888_zps3lbiptpy.jpg

IMG_2889_zpsueb5g7pw.jpg

IMG_2890_zpsdit3ftmu.jpg

IMG_2891_zpsikwzlynt.jpg

IMG_2892_zpstpnom4ab.jpg

IMG_2893_zpstz7eublx.jpg

Had to put a few holes in the checker plate to allow the checker plate to fit closer to the body, around the bolts holding the fuel tank on.

IMG_2894_zpsxidneub1.jpg

IMG_2895_zpsrnhc2kh8.jpg

IMG_2896_zps6pboh37b.jpg

IMG_2897_zpshhf2oscr.jpg

IMG_2898_zpstmncvmg5.jpg

With the checker plate tack welded on, I took it to work and used the MIG to fully weld it.

IMG_2968_zps73uetb0w.jpg

IMG_2969_zpsyswn5uww.jpg

IMG_2970_zpsqrvvntdr.jpg

I still need to do a bit more work on the rear bumper and bullbar then they can be shot blasted and powder coated.

Still need to get the dashboard either shot blasted and powder coated, or cleaned up and re-sprayed. :think:

I'm hoping to get the bell housing and engine bits over the next month or 2 and then I can crack on with the conversion.

I need to get this car finished within the next 7 months as then we want to buy and renovate our first house flip, so I wont have as much free time to work on my LandCruisers. :icon-biggrin:

Congrats Ben, hope you both had a wonderful day :)

Reactions: Ben
Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Did a bit more on project RJ last weekend. :icon-cool:

Decided to push the project forwards a bit I would paint the dash rather than getting it powdercoated.

Cleaned all the surface rust off with the grinders.

IMG_3496_zpsogsbxiva.jpg

IMG_3497_zpsivaubc5s.jpg

I then got the parts hung up outside.

IMG_3498_zpsnlkxvq4p.jpg

IMG_3499_zpsopmuqoee.jpg

IMG_3500_zpsafymxtg2.jpg

Picked up some enamel paint that looked like a pretty good colour match.

IMG_3501_zpsxcjnmxeb.jpg

And got spraying!

IMG_3503_zpsmdr97wx4.jpg

IMG_3504_zps7i2j0emt.jpg

IMG_3506_zpsk9dzidvy.jpg

IMG_3505_zpsatlwd5wy.jpg

IMG_3507_zpsjj2fzbkf.jpg

IMG_3508_zpsx5xi1xix.jpg

The next morning I got it on the bench and started bolting it all back together.

IMG_3512_zpsooysayjw.jpg

IMG_3513_zpsb6krfjxe.jpg

Got it back in.

IMG_3528_zps51gvktcs.jpg

IMG_3536_zpshhofoajf.jpg

IMG_3535_zpsdmu9jugv.jpg

Inclinometer fitted.

IMG_3533_zpsynfvtbuu.jpg

Engine temp gauge fitted.

IMG_3534_zps0kslusqd.jpg

I found some replacement front speakers I'm going to fit.

IMG_3539_zpsi5drgjo6.jpg

Much bigger and more powerful than the originals.

IMG_3540_zpsigmkgnbg.jpg

IMG_3541_zpses3gokat.jpg

A mate gave me a set of rear door cards/trims for the back of RJ as I didnt have any. Sadly they are brown, but I thought I could always use them as templates to make some new ones. :think:

But then I got given a drivers side by a chap who bought one of the gearboxes off me, so now I just need a grey passenger side one.

IMG_3538_zpso1ty74mm.jpg

I'm going back to Melbourne in a few weeks and I've got a big shopping list of parts for the build. :icon-biggrin:

Need to finish the bar work next, then I can get stuck into the engine conversion. :thumbup:

Nice paint job on the dash Ben, is it just the one coat you gave it? You really need to sort the instrument pod out now lad, that blue stands out like a wart now

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I gave the dash 3-4 light coats. It probably wont be as tough as powder coating, but it will do for now. :icon-biggrin:

:lol: The blue instrument cluster will be sorted out soon. :icon-wink:

Hi Ben,

How are those new speakers going? I need to replace mine so might look for something similar.

Don't need anything too fancy but I think I have 25 year old original issue speakers in there now.

Dash came put flasher than a rat with a gold tooth :clap:

Hi Ben, following both your threads and trying to get through the other one! Interesting life you've led. Looks like the start of a nice build on this RJ70. Will be following along with interest. Cheers Chris

Reactions: Ben
I sourced some more parts for the build this week! :dance:

Today I got a new instrument cluster so I can ditch the garish blue one.

IMG_3597_zpsud9q6n1n.jpg

And last week I sourced a pair of rear soft top doors. I didnt really need them but I know how rare and hard to find these doors are with the removable tops. :icon-biggrin:

Thinking if I dont use them I could always sell them to the mid wheel base 73/74 series guys because as far as I know they didnt get the doors with the removable tops, so when they remove their FRP roof to drive it as a soft top, they still have the rear glass/windows sticking up on the back doors and it looks silly! :think:

IMG_3558_zpsfbrghhyp.jpg

I also got some mirrors, again because they were cheap and the other ones I bought didnt come with the rubber that sits between the mirrors and the door, so I'm thinking of using the other ones on LJ and these ones on RJ. :think:

IMG_3559_zpsew3juj9p.jpg

Last week was a good week at work and I got 9 hours of overtime in! :dance:

So this week I will order the bell housing/conversion kit. :icon-biggrin:

There are 2 main options.

IMG_3561_zpsismi20dz.jpg

Dellows in Australia is the more expensive option, but you get to choose which side of the bell housing the clutch slave cylinder sits on.

IMG_3567_zpsncipgggn.jpg

Or the KS Racing one from Thailand which I think is the one I will order for $1500!

IMG_3562_zps3duekvlg.jpg

I've got 10 days off over Christmas so hoping to push this project forwards then. :icon-cool:

Hi Ben,

How are those new speakers going? I need to replace mine so might look for something similar.

Don't need anything too fancy but I think I have 25 year old original issue speakers in there now.

Dash came put flasher than a rat with a gold tooth :clap:

:lol:

Speakers are going good but there not in yet.

I've bolted the brackets onto the new speakers and now I just need to bolt them in position behind the dash. :icon-biggrin:

Fingers crossed they fit as the ducting pipe for the heater is very close. :pray:

IMG_3583_zpsprv1oftc.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsfjcghzi3.jpg

Hi Ben, following both your threads and trying to get through the other one! Interesting life you've led. Looks like the start of a nice build on this RJ70. Will be following along with interest. Cheers Chris

Thanks Chris. :thumbup:

Things havent quite gone to plan since I moved over here, but I'm very happy, life's great! :banana-angel:

My FJ73 had the 'hardtop' doors rather than the 'softtop' doors, including the front doors. The owners book IIRC did talk about the soft top doors.

Not sure how many 73/4s are still around, although we do have a couple of red BJ74s here in town.

I suspect a lot more 73's and 74's were sold here than 70's. That extra 300mm space inside the cab would be more practical and a much more suitable engine, only down side was they were all on ancient cart springs. :think:

Well I've resisted the temptation to spend the engine conversion kit money on a Honda XR600 that I've found and I'm going to order the kit today or tomorrow. :shifty:

Just waiting to hear back from the seller as to what figure he will write on the customs declaration, because if he puts over $1k I will have to pay import duty and charges and then the Australian kit from Dellows may be a better buy. :think:

Back