Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RJ70 Build Thread.

Brilliant Ben!

Love the mountings, reminds me of the days fitting a V4 in place of a 1.3 in a Cortina moons ago! :lol:

So what will you do about the reverse pitch on the cooling fan?

The blades grabbing the other way was what I spotted - the other thing I'd look at before you get too deep is a 10 blade fan from a 5L diesel instead of the x blade fan from a 2LT which is notorious for cooling problems.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Can you do me a favor and see which direction the fans on your 80 and 4-runner rotate please? :pray:

I need to find a suitable Toyota fan with the correct direction to bolt to my center. The 2lt is a perfect fit but is obviously meant to rotate the other way and isnt ideal as Ed mentioned. :think:

Can you do me a favor and see which direction the fans on your 80 and 4-runner rotate please? :pray:

I need to find a suitable Toyota fan with the correct direction to bolt to my center. The 2lt is a perfect fit but is obviously meant to rotate the other way and isnt ideal as Ed and Clive mentioned. :think:

I'll have a look tomorrow - I think it goes the same way as the crank does thinking about the belt routing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right - this is a 1UZ fan belt routing - see how the fan hub is mounted to the outside of the belt:
100_8752.jpg

In contrast, the 3VZE (4Runner lump) runs like this:
0900c15280060b1d.gif

Which, installed is very much like the 5VZFE:
hd-142661.png

So, there's at least 2 options that won't work...

I reckon an evening with Dr Google Image search and you'll get somewhere...

The 80 fan runs clockwise, the same as the engine, yours is obviously running "backwards" compared with the engine, hence the reversed pitch.

I dunno what you can do about that if you want to keep the viscous. Maybe electric will be the only choice.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I wonder if I could re-route the belt to make that pulley the fan bolts to, spin the opposite direction. :think:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I wonder if I could re-route the belt to make that pulley the fan bolts to, spin the opposite direction. :think:
The problem there may be that in doing so you lessen the contact the belt has on the driving/driven pulleys causing more point load and potential for slippage.

I can imagine some electric fans can be troublesome, but many cars have them without trouble. You can even have a twin setup and the ability to run on after the engine is stopped and inhibit operation in water. Which I think is where my argument falls apart here. Water ingress would likely shorten the life of fans not designed to cope with it.

Personally, I'd be looking to move the rad forward, and keep the stock fan, Ben.

Another great build ;)

Happy that this time i can keep up the build updated. It took me ages to check all your LJ70 build :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Can you not just flip the fan blade around, or am I missing something obvious?

Same problem, just less efficient at moving air.

Personally, I'd be looking to move the rad forward, and keep the stock fan, Ben.
:text-+1: That would seem to be the least tricky option. I did notice the engine seems to be at more of a downward angle than the radiator and hence closer at the bottom. The top may be tricky to move forward (body cross member, bonnet latch etc . It may be less tricky to angle the radiator slightly to be parallel to the fan.

:think::techie-eureka: …?

Last edited:

Think I've cracked it! :dance:

After much searching I realised that not that many vehicles run backwards fans. :doh:

I did try turning the Lexus one around as Tony suggested but the fins are still going the wrong way and it wont bolt on that way round anyway. :doh:

Then I discovered this thread:

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=136299&start=420

In which the guy used a Holden Rodeo (pronounced Ro-day-o) and it bolts straight on and looks significantly thinner and has less off set! :think:

A quick ebay search and I discovered my local scrap yard has one and its only 5 minutes from work, so I'm going to try and grab it tomorrow! :dance:

I've been doing lots of work on the project this week and will try and get an update up soon. :icon-wink:

I've also just spent $350 with Amayama.com buying most of the bits I need to complete the build. :icon-cool:

I want to buy all the mandrel bends, tube and silencer for the exhaust system but cant decide between stainless or steel. I want to use stainless ideally, but the cost might be too much for my budget. :think:

Thanks Ed, but that place is really pricey! :doh:

Almost twice the price of ebay. :thumbdown:

Back