Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Road tax hike

SpinDrift

Supporter
Garage
Well that's just brilliant! The dvla have changed the tax bands. 80's are still ok but more 100s (post March 2001) are now caught in the more expensive tax band. The cutoff seems to be 20 years.

Well that sucks. My 2005 120 just jumped to £585.

Grrrrrr.
Same here @TonyP .

Always hated the road tax as a Band B can do thousands and thousands of miles a year for £20 kicking out much more than someone in bank L (us) paying 3x the yearly rate of B every month!! but may only drive a few thousand miles. Even though it’s keeping an older vehicle and not contributing to scrap waste, carbon footprint of a build and transportation of a new car every few years, etc etc. What happened to “reduce, reuse, recycle”. Seems like it’s “now bin it and get a new one” and it’ll cost you less.

Well that sucks. My 2005 120 just jumped to £585.

And mine. Can't remember what it was last year, but that seems like a huge jump?

At least I'll have an even more robust response next time someone accuses me, as a cyclist, of not paying vehicle tax.

Thats put a spanner in the "pre-2006" cheaper road tax divide.....I didn't even know it was coming until this post.

Always hated the road tax as a Band B can do thousands and thousands of miles a year for £20 kicking out much more than someone in bank L (us) paying 3x the yearly rate of B every month!!.....

Not that it makes it right but I like to think of the RFL as a one-off payment. Whereas we all pay duty in fuel.we purchase and that will vary depending on mileage and the fuel consumption of our (individual) vehicles.

Death and taxes, especially taxes!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From the link
*Includes cars with a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006.

Unless i'm reading that wrong, and i pray i'm not, we keep our pre March 2006 banding, so £340 for a one off payment.

However it looks like the Forester is going up to £575, would be £585 but for the discount as LPG converted, a whole tenner.

Last edited:
Just checked my V5, and mine is 243g/km. Sep 2005 , so yeah going to £585

I think and hope you're wrong TonyP.

Band K @ £340 has an asterix beside,
scroll down a few inches below the bandings and
'' *Includes cars with a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006. ''

We'll know soon enough.

From the link
*Includes cars with a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006.

Unless i'm reading that wrong, and i pray i'm not, we keep our pre March 2006 banding, so £340 for a one off payment.

That's interesting, as the increase would not be that great. Wait and see I guess.

Ah i may be wrong, as I have just seen red after this thread started..... I'll soon known in SEP when they send the reminder

Last edited:
I wish the UK Govt would have the good grace to drop the tax threshold for older cars from 40 years to something more sensible like 25.

I think it was Tony Blair that put a spanner in that Works Jacob..... :wtf: I think he changed the years deciding what was classic/Vintage etc,Tax and MOT exempt, etc etc

No surprise realy.....
Most people wouldn't ever buy an electric car so if the powers that be want to force everyone down that particular cul-de-sac they have to make it expensive to run a normal car.... this is just the start ...

My working vehicle will go up massively ( LWB Fiat Ducato ) and given the type of work and use I do I have no other option ...no Electric van will ever be able to tow 3.5 ton , jump start various vehicles and be capable of doing 5-600 miles a day without stopping for a charge up several times....

Fun fact---- Brighton is under the control of the Greens and will have you believe they run a fleet of electric buses that have low or zero carbon emissions.

These buses break down with amazing regularity and have to be taken on the back of a big diesel lorry to the manufacturer for repair..... also due to range issues the fleet of buses all have diesel powered heaters.... and try asking them how "Green " it is to leave the football stadium lights on 7 days a week in the winter to help the grass grow..... no one will comment .

GBP 280 if my 90 was in the UK! Rego here (our name for tax) for 12 months for a 6 cylinder is AUD 940 (GBP 520).

It looks like the 80's models are still in the clear. So, if you've got an older ride, you can sit back and relax a little bit. And, if you're one of the unlucky ones caught in the more expensive band, you can at least take comfort in knowing you're not alone.
If you're feeling the pinch from the road tax hike, you might want to check out this website to make pay stubs. It's got a bunch of info and resources that might help you keep track of your expenses and budget a little better. All in all, it's just another curveball life throws our way, but hopefully, we can all weather it and come out on top. Hang in there!

Last edited:
The ULEZ vehicle checker throws up some bizarre results when checking some of our vehicles ..... The 450cu inch straight 6 petrol in my 9 ton WW2 Halftrack apparently meets the standards for the extended ULEZ ...despite doing 5mpg at best .

Back