Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Road tax hike

I think the emissions recorded on v5 has something to do with it too. Since cities seem to be going by last mot record, some like London are going by v5

Hey there! I just stumbled upon this post and found it really interesting. I didn't realize that the emissions recorded on the v5 could affect the road tax rates in the UK. Do you have any other information about how car taxes work in the UK? It's always helpful to learn more about different countries regulations.
By the way, I recently discovered a helpful tool called check stub creator that can be useful for calculating taxes and even for applying for loans. Have you ever used it before? It's been a lifesaver for me when it comes to organizing my finances. I even discovered some tips there for loan applications.

Last edited:
UK Vehicle Road Tax Bands

Anything first registered before 1st March 2001 pays a flat rate based on engine size rather than measured emissions.

As do cars registered after 2017, after the first year (where tax is emissions based). Unless those cars cost in excess of £40K in which case they pay a different fixed fee for the next 5 years, before reverting to the same fixed fee as everyone else. Simples.

So just to update to the 2023/4 figures, band K (201-225) which still includes vehicles with higher emissions if registered pre March 2006 has increased to £395 and band M (over 255) will be £695.
The only caveat is that I couldn’t find the latest figures on Gov.Uk so this is from Heycar.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just paid mine. I dont get the logic 6 months - 338£ but 12 months 615£. Why can't it just be half of 615£ for 6 months. They are just doing business like bankers.

Even road tax for hybrid increased so I randomly checked emissions and tax. Not sure how they are doing it. For eg.
Discovery 2018 2.0 petrol 255g/km tax is 180£.
Lexus RX 2009 petrol hybrid 192gm/km 355£
Looks like taxing is multilayered emissions and age of the vehicle as well.

£341.25 for a 1997 80 series

Curious why M.O.T says fast pass i looked it up and it basically means a cold engine passed emissions test easy .

I'm not clued in about it all Raj but i think 2001 everything went tits up and Adolf started making the rules . Swambo's 2001 3.0L swb90 is more expensive to tax and insure .

That's interesting about the fast pass because my mate and owner of local garage/mot place has often told me take it in good and hot. I have fast pass on all my mot certs. Hmm...

Even road tax for hybrid increased so I randomly checked emissions and tax. Not sure how they are doing it. For eg.
Discovery 2018 2.0 petrol 255g/km tax is 180£.
Lexus RX 2009 petrol hybrid 192gm/km 355£
Looks like taxing is multilayered emissions and age of the vehicle as well.

After 2017 you pay the emissions weighted tax in the first year only. It's designed to put you off buying the car in the first place. First year on my 150 was £2200 VED :screamcat:. After that it's a flat rate based on engine size (and another few hundred quid if the car was over £40K to buy). Except the dealer will bundle that first year tax into your finance, so you just spread out the payment that way and it probably puts almost no one off their purchase.

That's interesting about the fast pass because my mate and owner of local garage/mot place has often told me take it in good and hot. I have fast pass on all my mot certs. Hmm...

Thats the safest way to get a "fast pass" .

Place i use is just down the road and doesn't actually book slots asking instead you leave it in the morning and they call you when its done .

Think emissions get 3 attempts . Must guess their test equipment is hooked up to the central database so they get 2 attempts at fixing the problem before it becomes a fail ?

It's all a gamble with mot testers who work to their own interpretation of 'rules', not much different to the old days. Take it to one and it fails, another passes it.
My point was, as shown by you, that fast pass is done with cold engine, yet I've been told get it good and hot before presentation, which I do.
Doesn't make any sense does it, and throws doubt on exactly how those emission bullshit sniffers work.

Back