Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rock Sliders in UK?

I've got a pair of sliders on my 80 made by JW, that over the years have suffered a lot of abuse and stood up to it admirably, they look very similar to the Frogs ones in that link (could almost be copies of the original ones). I have no idea if they are still available from Jon though, if you could source some second hand you can't go wrong.

Cheers Chas, I do keep my eyes open for any coming up for sale but normally only see the OEM ones around.
Might have to look into getting a set built. Couldn't see it being too hard for a half decent metal fab guy to knock up.

Yes, you can make them or even 'knock them up' but the point is that people just don't want to pay the true value. As they've been home made, clearly the labour is free.

Don't think I am having a go at you Dave, genuinely I am not, but having made several sets of these I know what people want to pay. There's over £100 of steel, £100 of blasting and coating and welding gas plus wire and running back and forth to the coater to get them and then a weekend of labour on top plus £25 worth of stainless bolts .... you see the idea? There's no profit in them at all so they tend to be something that gets made for a mate.

These went to SA. They were 5mm and could take a real pounding as I have proved on the Silver one off road many times. The way to make them affordable is to have all the parts precut in house in bulk and then just assemble.

P1000823.jpg

would you take £50 for them please chris?

Chris, I am not questioning the cost of making a decent set of sliders. I certainly wouldn't have the metal skills myself.
I was just saying the few I have seen from UK shops seem more cosmetic than functional.

I am quite happy to pay for a decent set that will do what they are supposed to and that is why I was looking at bringing in a set from the States.

Were the set pictured a 'one off' or are you still making these?

Dave.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought MAL ED had some for sales a while ago

Can belive you out bid me Chas gutted

Well frankly I am surprised no one suggested GROUP BUY

Dave, truly I appreciate the thrust of your thread, it's just been asked before. Commercial sliders in the UK are as you have found, few and far between. The Frogs ones are probably enough for most people but not super industrial. You see the mounting points on an 80 are very tricky and in order to get the strength at those angels and distances you need to make them out of decommissioned Soviet tanks. I actually have to make myself a new set for the overlander but this time I am making them lighter as I don't anticipate quite the levels of impact associated with mud plugging. I have to be honest and say I don't really have any great desire to make anymore. I have one set of plates left in the garage and one set of U bolts and enough channel for the outriggers. After that I am probably done.

You could always pester JW. He has nothing but time on his hands now...........

If I can help in any way with spec on materials etc then ask away. I just can't really make you a set. And you are a long way away to post them - at 75 kg

That was Greg, who then packed up. So the answer to that is nope.

I still have the jigs and pattern parts for the 80 and 100. The problem is finding time to make them, I've already kept someone waiting for a set for quite a while :oops:. I originally imported a set of Slee sliders but snapped a couple of U bolts in rough usage so made my own and sold the Slee ones on ebay to Frogs iirc. Auto and manual 80's need a different front leg position on the passenger side. I think all the off the shelf designs are for the auto only and would have to be modified for a manual but it's only one leg ...

Mal eade has got a set for sale

Back