Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2018 - Comarnic Visit

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
OK, Christmas is over and before 2018 kicks-off I’ve had some interest shown already, in whether there will be a visit in 2018.

So, I thought it might be an idea to see if anyone is interested. Ther regulars are probably bored to tears with seeing the same or similar places, so there’s no pressure on them (or anyone for that matter) to come.

However, Aura and I love these visits and I just want everyone on the forum to know that our door is always open to members, and 2018 will be no exception.

Our favoured dates are the last week in August (or longer than a week to suit) but we like to keep the begining of September fairly free, ‘cos we never know what date Ana’s school will start the new term, early in September.

So if anyone is interested, please let us know by starting a list in this thread.

We have free accommodation available for the first 6 couples (six en-suite rooms equipped with double / twin beds) on a first-come-first-served basis, otherwise we could possibly find local accommodation or there’s always the option to camp in the garden.

Our house is a bit like camping indoors anyway, but it’s gradually improving year-by-year.

We’re a long way from the UK, but as they say, the journey is as much an adventure as the destination. We always seem to have a good time together since this visit/excursion began in 2015, so let’s have a show of hands for 2018...

Thanks!

This trip requires no planning for me so i will just see how things stand with swmbo possibly as late as mid August .

This trip requires no planning for me so i will just see how things stand with swmbo possibly as late as mid August .

It’d be great to have you both here as always, we’ll try to find something new... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd love to, and so would Lynn but she's thinking something off her holidays list would be more to her liking this year, so looks like we will do that. :cry:

I'd love to, and so would Lynn but she's thinking something off her holidays list would be more to her liking this year, so looks like we will do that. :cry:

Can’t say as I blame her Rich :icon-wink:

Anyway, you know there’s always a welcome here, anytime, if alternative plans don’t come off.:thumbup:

I was just looking at the work calender, it' been booked out already. But Clive you could follow the convoy back to lincomb after...

I was just looking at the work calender, it' been booked out already. But Clive you could follow the convoy back to lincomb after...

Not this year Nick, sadly.

But, my hopes are high for one of the Lincomb 2019 meets.

I’m retiring (semi-retiring) at the end of 2018, so I can free up some 80 travel time in 2019. :dance:

Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread Clive, but for those planning on going, Mrs AM has a few Qs.

Proposed total length (days) of the trip?
Travel down or back (or both) in convoy?
Adventuring and sightseeing when in the Comarnic area or during the trip down/back?

What A great and Generous Offer Once again Clive :thumbup: I will be in Greece at that time of year and not sure what 4x4 i will have if i even have one by then. so will miss out.

Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread Clive, but for those planning on going, Mrs AM has a few Qs.

Proposed total length (days) of the trip?
Travel down or back (or both) in convoy?
Adventuring and sightseeing when in the Comarnic area or during the trip down/back?

No hijack at all, but I’m not sure I can help much, I’ve never done the trip :lol:

In the past, there’s been a variety of travel approaches, some as singles, some as convoy, some with meet ups at designated campsites on the way.

The length of the trip is entirely your choice. The journey is about 3 days as a mad dash from A to B, but then you can stop over in a place you fancy, or go at a more leisurely pace.

It’s open house this end and an ETA would be nice (but not essential).

I usually take a week or 10 days off work, but as time goes on and the dates get closer and more definite, I trim it to suit.

We tend to do day-trips from home as a base, but it doesn’t rule out a 2 day trip or even more. We live in an area with a lot of nice places to go to that are only a few hours each way, some actually on the doorstep, so it varies.

In the past we’ve been somewhere every day, but it doesn’t stop you having a day off if you don’t feel like going out, you can simply sit in the garden, BBQ and drink beer if you want.

The longest trip we’ve done is the Transfagarasan, and that’s an early start, and late finish, about 10 hours in all with photo-stops and a restaurant evening meal on the way back.

TBH, it’s a suck-it-and see on a daily basis, type of arrangement, and it seems to work.

There’s a nice 3 hr mountain track “ridge-run” as I call it, nice high-point views, and about 2 hrs return on the asphalt.

There’s a visit to the salt mine, if anyone wants that. It’s cool down there, so if the summer sun is getting to you....

We have a local reservoir to visit, and a day-trip to a church in a cave which is a bit unusual... with nice views on the way.

It’s all quite a mixture, so never really boring. You’re on holiday don’t forget, so there’s plenty of opportunity to take it easy and relax, if you want to.

It’s best to make private arrangements with others coming to discuss convoys or meet-up locations or campsites...

That’s the main reason for staring the list...

Hope you’ll come :thumbup:

The tranfagarasan was a loooong day but worth it.. If you can fit it in on the way to clives (You drive past it) then do it.

What A great and Generous Offer Once again Clive :thumbup: I will be in Greece at that time of year and not sure what 4x4 i will have if i even have one by then. so will miss out.

Kind of you to say so SC, but it’s not really, I (we) enjoy these events as much as, if not more, than the visitors.

We miss out on all the UK stuff going off, Lincomb, Salisbury Plain etc., so it’s really good to have an opportunity to meet club members.

We’ve been blessed with those who have come, great company and like-minded ...

Enjoy Greece and don’t forget, you’re welcome anytime, Cruiser or no Cruiser, we have an international airport, and there’s always empty seats in ours or someone’s truck!

The Transfagarasan AM, is a road not to be missed, called by Jeremy Clarkson, the best road in the world, twisty and turny, with amazing hairpin bends and scenery to die for.
Clive's ridge run is another belter, as Clive says there is loads to do within easy reach of Comarnic, I must like it, been there three times . . so far.

Clive if I come to you via the Transfag what town/area should I enter on the SatNav to aim for?

Last edited:
The Transfagarasan AM, is a road not to be missed, called by Jeremy Clarkson, the best road in the world, twisty and turny, with amazing hairpin bends and scenery to die for.
Clive's ridge run is another belter, as Clive says there is loads to do within easy reach of Comarnic, I must like it, been there three times . . so far.

Clive if I come to you via the Transfag what town/area should I enter on the SatNav to aim for?

OK, the Transfagarasan is the DN7C and it runs north/south (we’ve always done it north to south).

So if you want to do the same (which I think will be the easiest coming from the western Romanian border with Hungary) you need to be on the E68 (DN1) going east, as in the upper centre of the map below.
2BD57034-A313-46D4-86F5-DE55E21CD1B4.png

Turn right onto the DN7C and follow your nose almost to Curtea de Arges, then make the shortest route to our house.

If you want to go south to north, then from the Romanian border, aim for Pitesti (map below)
E3FDB4B0-152E-4683-A13D-99C0D39B13E2.png

Punch any of the DN7C villages into the sat-nag and it will take you there.

Look at both on a complete map, with our house marked, and you’ll see why North to South will be easier....

Hope this helps...

I think I'll dismiss that idea Clive, I've had a look on my AutoRoute map and doing that would add another 70ish miles to the journey and being at the end of a long journey might be too tiring.

Back