Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

Bugger, missed these last few posts, anyway your ‘alternative’ viewing is sorted Josh :lol:

Nick’s videos are well worth a look, especially Lincomb... but he uses naughty words, mind...

Tomorrow is the worst day. Every soap ever made is on. You may have to hunt down my offerings too!

Think yourself lucky guys, my missus is into Turkish soaps ATM, Turkish language with Romanian subtitles... :crazy:

Think yourself lucky guys, my missus is into Turkish soaps ATM, Turkish language with Romanian subtitles... :crazy:
Don' worry I'm safe now. I could never understand it, there' about 7 different soaps on and she'd watch them all one after another and then tell.me off for messing around on my phone. It' not like I hadn't bought her her own telly to watch that crap. Its still in the kitchen....

Well, if nothing else, Turkish soaps with Romanian subtitles have really expanded my knowledge of what’s on utoob...

A bit of a ride out Saturday and Sunday, not far, to Azuga for a bit of skiing... and larking about on sledges with Ana and her friend Alex and generally enjoying some sunshine and snow.

Ana entering stage-left

9426E0FE-B26E-4EC7-89DC-E8C1EBF887FD.jpeg

Trying to get her confidence to go parallel again, its been 2 years since we skied, not much snow or opportunity last winter...

43C60909-CDD6-4FAC-AACF-CA41AC5796E4.jpeg

Just love these mountains, especially when there's snow on ‘em...

1DFA2E07-409B-4CA8-8285-095F44C44D8B.jpeg
7457E6B5-FD7B-47C2-9F18-9E0A5A3F1F9E.jpeg

Fairly quiet too when we arrived at 09:30, we almost had the place to ourselves...

47DCDBF6-6883-44CD-8966-80218B88A01A.jpeg
32FF090B-6B13-46F9-8A00-5B78D6CB41CA.jpeg
F410C5B0-2EEA-4B0D-B431-96787748C74C.jpeg
B3AC0158-5631-4C85-A4E7-49C5788A7CAC.jpeg
B6EB7F5B-6B12-4811-96E3-A018BB7672BB.jpeg

Car park filling up...

92EEFB9B-9F57-4172-8F26-2265B94EFAF9.jpeg
B43BA2FE-143C-4C03-99D7-58C7271492DF.jpeg

Good days out, and nice to drive on a bit of snow, as always...

Great pictures as always Clive thanks for sharing. Never been to Romania but my young cousin visited recently for a few days and couldn't share enough great things about the place.

One of my desires for many years after buying the cruiser has been to travel by car across Turkey to Eastern Europe so maybe this year that may materialise.

Great snow I'm looking to visit our Trodos mountains in the next couple of weeks and try out those KO'2 :dance:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Must be good these Romanians Clive, never noticed before but turns out they make the water pipes on Merc trucks. Ski ing looks great there, not something I've done before but we only have fake snow

20180130_082150.jpg

Great pictures as always Clive thanks for sharing. Never been to Romania but my round cousin visited recently for a few days and couldn't share enough great things about the place.

One of my desires for many years after buying the cruiser has been to travel by car across Turkey to Eastern Europe so maybe this year that may materialise.

Great snow I'm looking to visit our Trodos mountains in the next couple of weeks and try out those KO'2 :dance:

If you want to come this year, theres an expression of interest in a Comarnic Romania 2018 thread ... scheduled for the last (whole week) in August 20th to 26th or thereabouts.

You’re more than welcome Dervis, (and for any forum members the invitation is the same) and so far there’s accommodation available, until interested folks claim it.

Must be good these Romanians Clive, never noticed before but turns out they make the water pipes on Merc trucks. Ski ing looks great there, not something I've done before but we only have fake snow

View attachment 139825

There’ll be no snow when you come Josh, sadly, but you might need a sun hat if we’re lucky :lol:

It rained all day yesterday, so we tried Azuga hoping the rain was falling as snow, but it wasn’t to be.

So today we took a ride up Sinaia again, struggled up the old stone road, very icy and only just made it up the steep bit at the top.

As we pulled out of the old stone road onto the slushy asphalt, a dirty Porsche Cayenne swung in behind me, to go down the old road (the way I’d come up).

I said to Aura, that’s big mistake, he’ll either slide off the side (the old road has very few safety features and some vertical drop-offs) or if he changes his mind, he’ll never get back up onto the asphalt.

She jumped out to have a word with him, and after bragging that his car would go anywhere, he decided that discretion might be the better approach, and selected reverse.

Of course, he didn’t go anywhere, even though he managed to get smoke to come off the tyres on ice :)icon-rolleyes:).

Muggins got the job of pulling him out.

0B64B08A-B1B2-41AE-B27A-28BDBFC80990.jpeg

C3FB3305-8676-43DC-B45B-0520542A03C0.jpeg

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve done this or similar, up there.

Still, there’s always a glow of satisfaction when I do. The Cayenne has such a load of power, but without a transmission suitable for the conditions, he was lost.

I didn’t challenge him to a race home though... :lol:

Mmmm, just embarrassed myself (again).

Thought it would be nice to go up the lane in the snow...

I was confident it would be OK ‘cos all the lockers work now after fixing the connections on the rear one in the Autumn...

All very pretty and a bit of fun ....

1431718C-9AC9-4491-8CBB-B22DBF10F755.jpeg

This is the descent down to the left hand bend over the (now piped) stream, slippery it was, snow over ice and its about -2C today (going colder).

So what follows is the ascent up to a tight right-hand bend, but half-way up the truck stopped, the wheels didn't, just the truck !

All 4 going round (all 3 lockers on) but no movement. Checking the mirrors, much to my annoyance only 3 wheels going round, the rear locker decided not to work again :oops:.

And now I was moving, going backwards at this stage. Nasty, cos on the left is a 4’ ditch and I was approaching it, anyway it stopped just in time as luck would have it.

Out with the winch remote, hooked the line to a tree, winched up to the bend, then reversed up a gateway on the right and turned back, slithered all the way down the hill and then it was onward home.

Not happy, I hate it when things don’t work.

Last edited:
Mmmm, just embarrassed myself (again).

Thought it would be nice to go up the lane in the snow...

I was confident it would be OK ‘cos all the lockers work now after fixing the connections on the rear one in the Autumn...

All very pretty and a bit of fun ....

View attachment 140939

This is the descent down to the left hand bend over the (now piped) stream, slippery it was, snow over ice and its about -2C today (going colder).

So what follows is the ascent up to a tight right-hand bend, but half-way up the truck stopped, the wheels didn't, just the truck !

All 4 going round (all 3 lockers on) but no movement. Checking the mirrors, much to my annoyance only 3 wheels going round, the rear locker decided not to work again :oops:.

And now I was moving, going backwards at this stage. Nasty, cos on the left is a 4’ ditch and I was approaching it, anyway it stopped just in time as luck would have it.

Out with the winch remote, hooked the line to a tree, winched up to the bend, then reversed up a gateway on the right and turned back, slithered all the way down the hill and then it was onward home.

Not happy, I hate it when things don’t work.
Oops!

Looks great Clive over there & with all that snow its begging to be challenged. Thank the winch...lol

Looks great Clive over there & with all that snow its begging to be challenged. Thank the winch...lol

Yep Dervis, my old faithful superwinch didn't let me down.

It was a struggle though, I couldn’t get out of the drivers (LHD) door cos I was right on the edge of the deep ditch, so had to climb over and out of the passenger side each time to get to the winch.

Came to pop the plug cover off (for the remote) and it was frozen in place.

Trying to get up the hill on foot was a struggle, it was so icy under the snow. I fell twice :lol:

Then on the first pull, I brought down the tree :icon-rolleyes:. It wasn’t a big tree admittedly, but because of the snow, I couldn’t see that it was barely in the soil, on the edge of the ditch.

Anyway, I found another tree close by that was more secure.

It was very cold, so I wasn’t planning to stay out too long. Always worth remembering to make sure you have sufficient survival kit with you. I was 10 minutes from home and could have walked it in an emergency, but it does make you think when your hands don’t work properly anymore, and everything is freezing solid. Even the sprung flip latch on the hook needed thawing out to get the rope through.

Yep Dervis, my old faithful superwinch didn't let me down.

It was a struggle though, I couldn’t get out of the drivers (LHD) door cos I was right on the edge of the deep ditch, so had to climb over and out of the passenger side each time to get to the winch.

Came to pop the plug cover off (for the remote) and it was frozen in place.

Trying to get up the hill on foot was a struggle, it was so icy under the snow. I fell twice :lol:

Then on the first pull, I brought down the tree :icon-rolleyes:. It wasn’t a big tree admittedly, but because of the snow, I couldn’t see that it was barely in the soil, on the edge of the ditch.

Anyway, I found another tree close by that was more secure.

It was very cold, so I wasn’t planning to stay out too long. Always worth remembering to make sure you have sufficient survival kit with you. I was 10 minutes from home and could have walked it in an emergency, but it does make you think when your hands don’t work properly anymore, and everything is freezing solid. Even the sprung flip latch on the hook needed thawing out to get the rope through.

4x4 Adventuring at its best Clive living on the edge....hope you weren't alone you never know whats round the corner. Happy for you your ok even after two falls ....ouch :wtf:

4x4 Adventuring at its best Clive living on the edge....hope you weren't alone you never know whats round the corner. Happy for you your ok even after two falls ....ouch :wtf:

Almost always alone Dervis, which is why survival always seems to be up there at the top after a mishap or 2 :icon-biggrin:

Just running up the hill with a hook sounds easy, but really, it became quite a struggle. The tree was the other side of the ditch up there, so just getting across that with the snow up to my knees wasn’t easy. Coming back down was when I fell. Can’t believe how slippery it was under the snow, solid ice. Usually, you can get good grip on fresh snow.

Starts to make you think Clive. I may be over thinking this but what if you’d broken something? Leg or ankle would be worst. We never think it will happen, but if it did are you prepared?

Back